#31 Vampire the buffet slayer

Vampire the buffet slayer

Fat Alice's Dietitian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts
  • Locationunder an aluminum hat

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

Another reason Jake was so good was the fact that we got him from New Orleans where he was a Cajun.

We went to a Superbowl with him while they sat idly by barely making it with Aaron Brooks.

He was on their fricken bench!

F you Louisiana.

#32 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

Why can't JAKE be Cam's QB Coach?

#33 Servant of Cthululelei

Servant of Cthululelei

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationApex, NC

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

Under 2 minutes in 2003 the Bucs score to take the lead.  I was at the game and I've never been so crushed by a football game.  I slumped in my seat and felt like crying.  It was over.  But Jake Delhomme still had a minute left to drive the length of the field.  He hit a different receiver on almost every throw and hit Smith on a slant in the red zone to win the game.  I almost passed out I was so excited.  

Was this the 2nd game we played against the Bucs that year?  Because IIRC, the first game against them, we were up 13-7 when the Bucs drove the length of the field and scored a TD to win the game, but Kris Jenkins blocked the XP.  With his elbow...

Then we won the game in OT.

#34 -13 Amp-

-13 Amp-

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationShelby, NC

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

Jake was a GOOD QB, not a great but people need to give him more respect.   He had TWO triple crown receivers in different years.  Smith and Moose.  Moose hardly did anything when he left us, so I can't say he made Jake.   Smith is a beast but he hasn't been as beastly since Jake left.  Jake knew exactly where to put the ball for Smith to go up, it was as much him as Smith.  Not to mention the clutch games from Jake, the competitive fire, the raw emotion, the class, and the ability to except blame when it was due (and actually mean it).    

He's the perfect example of intangibles, and if we could somehow combine that with Cam's talent, we could have a freak QB.

Moose never won the triple crown, Smitty was the last player to win it in 2005, and Moose's great year in 2004 wasn't a triple crown winner, he only led the NFL in 2 receiving categories, not 3...Still very impressive for Jake and Moose esp. since Smith was out that whole year...

#35 Kuechly59

Kuechly59

Bow before GETTLEMAN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

Jake was cluth yes, but he was carried by a GREAT GREAT defense...Love Jake but he is mediocre at best

Funny I recall the defense bleeding both points and yards to the pats in the SB Jake went *** for tat with Brady passing for 323 yards 3 TDs and no picks...

Great defense or not Jake led 8 fourth quarter game winning drives in 2003...

The guy was the detention of clutch before tommy john...

19 fourth quarter comebacks (he has more comebacks than Cam has total wins) 25 game winning drives and a 58-40 record as the panthers starting QB give credit were it is do for a long time Jake was an above average qb with a knack for being clutch.

I love the progress Cam is making and I believe soon he will be a better qb than Jake ever was but until I see him start winning the close ones I wouldn't put him above Jake.

#36 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

Moose never won the triple crown, Smitty was the last player to win it in 2005, and Moose's great year in 2004 wasn't a triple crown winner, he only led the NFL in 2 receiving categories, not 3...Still very impressive for Jake and Moose esp. since Smith was out that whole year...

Ok so correction, Jake had the #1 WR in the league statistically for two years with two different receivers, when one of them was a clear #2 for his career.  Point still valid though :)

#37 Fade2BlackAndBlue

Fade2BlackAndBlue

ICE UP SON

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationStanley NC

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:38 PM

Damn, i must go to this game Sunday.

#38 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

We need to get Jake on the Panthers radio team.

I would love that but Jake said he has many offers and turns them down so he can watch his kids play sports on the weekends.

#39 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

What I loved most about Jake is he always left me surprised. Before 2003 the Panthers were a below average franchise that had every 50/50 moment go against them. Jake surprised me against the Jaguars and in most of the games after that. Jake and Foxy made 7-9 a bad season, there was a time when that was our best case scenario.

I always compared Jake to the legendary Ricky Bobby. He was either going to win the game, or crash the team trying to win the game. He had some epic meltdowns over the years but it was never for lack of daring or effort.

#40 Phantom

Phantom

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

Jake's technical skill set puts him at the upper end of the middle of the pack for quarterbacks that have been NFL starters. But if you could measure leadership and heart, he'd be among the best ever.

#41 lola

lola

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

Man, when Jake was good he was great. I always had hope at the end of the game that he would pull it out, and he would, more often than not. I'm finally starting to let the Arizona debacle hang back further in my mind and resume appreciating Jake for what he was to this organization: heart, fire, and a sheer will to win.

#42 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

• HUDDLER
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

I bought my PSLs in 2003.  I remember always believing that Jake would find a way to win...and for many years he did.

It was an awesome time to be a Panthers fan.

It's too bad that my last memory of him was that meltdown with the Cardinals when his arm was clearly shot.

He was so close to winning that Superbowl, so close...it was heartbreaking but I will never ever forget that Jake gave me my money's worth for many years.

More than I can say for those who came before him at the position and I love Cam and I hope have he same memories of him too.  That's why we pay the money.

#43 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,451 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:02 PM

Another reason Jake was so good was the fact that we got him from New Orleans where he was a Cajun.

We went to a Superbowl with him while they sat idly by barely making it with Aaron Brooks.

He was on their fricken bench!

F you Louisiana.

Remember the Saint fans arguing Brooks was better?

#44 Vampire the buffet slayer

Vampire the buffet slayer

Fat Alice's Dietitian

• HUDDLER
  • 2,285 posts
  • Locationunder an aluminum hat

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:32 PM

Remember the Saint fans arguing Brooks was better?

Aaron Brooks = RG don't forget about me

#45 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,451 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

Aaron Brooks = RG don't forget about me

Aaron Brooks = Master of the Backward Fumble

I saw him do that at least half a dozen times.

And then there's this...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com