Photo
- - - - -

Is it time for us to admit that Smitty is done?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#31 ed bell

ed bell

Ruthless

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

I think everyone in this franchise including Smitty knows the time is right to find the next #1 receiver. I think everyone who has been paying attention knows we haven't had the opportunity to do so in the draft.

#32 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,255 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

Done? No

On the back side of his career? Yep.

If I'm building a team for one or maybe two years Id still take Mr Steve Smith over 90% of the wide outs playing today. 

#33 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,302 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

I think everyone in this franchise including Smitty knows the time is right to find the next #1 receiver. I think everyone who has been paying attention knows we haven't had the opportunity to do so in the draft.

You have to make your own opportunity sometimes.....can't wait for something to magically just fall in your lap and the scenario be perfect.

#34 Pejorative Miscreant

Pejorative Miscreant

Cold Ass Honky

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

Smith still has the ability to be our #1 receiver.  If we can get another guy with #1 ability and allow Smith to truely move to the slot, he's got another 3 years or quality football in him.

Yes :thumbsu:

#35 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,654 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

Not the first time this OP has shot his mouth off

#36 megatroll

megatroll

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

People keep acting like 89 is taking double and triple teams....helping out everyone else.

Teams don't double cover him

you cant deny that the safeties hawk him and lean towards his side. Just because he doesnt have two guys on his hip doesnt mean he isnt a great decoy when the ball isnt coming his way

#37 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,573 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

This idea that Smitty will only be successful with speed says more about the person saying it than any relevance to Smitty being done in the NFL...

#38 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,654 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

Not just that the time is right. Imo, Smitty looked fuging pissed last night because he "felt" old and he's making mental errors that he cant afford to make at this point. That should be one of his strengths now. In fact he's made a good number of mental errors this season, uncharacteristically. Now Cam's got go up there and apologize to the media and fans for a pick that wasnt his fault but is still going to get him chided by the AP. I think Smitty may have seen this coming and was extremely pissed at himself for getting old and making mistakes.

There are plenty of things that he can obviously still do, and there are things that he can no longer do. LaFell needs to ascend . . like yesterday. Ginn needs to ascend. . like yesterday.

#39 PantherGuy

PantherGuy

• ALL-PRO
  • 811 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

Smithy is amongst the top receivers for the amount of forced missed tackles. He is in the top 15 in the league in catch to drop ratio. He only has been targeted 9 times this season with throws over 20 yards, which is less than ginn. Perhaps you are over reacting and it's just that his opportunities have decreased as we have some viable receivers on the team now...

This. Our offense doesn't throw the ball as much as it did in 2011 or 2012. It's more balanced. Obviously that isn't a bad thing, because it's working and we're winning. That means fewer opportunities for receivers in general. Yesterday LaFell got a bunch of opportunities, and more or less took advantage of them. 

#40 TuckerMax25

TuckerMax25

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

Smitty can be a number 1 without all the yards, targets, yds. He's an energy a motivator, the intangibles is what makes him so valuable. He has the ability to positively influence the entire team.

Sent from my HTC One using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#41 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,347 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

Do we really have to discuss this after blowing out a division rival? 

Smitty is still dangerous, his lack of production is a direct result of defenses game-planning to take him away. He's not the same guy he used to be, which is what you would expect at 34, but he's still a major threat. 

#42 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,302 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

This. Our offense doesn't throw the ball as much as it did in 2011 or 2012. It's more balanced. Obviously that isn't a bad thing, because it's working and we're winning. That means fewer opportunities for receivers in general. Yesterday LaFell got a bunch of opportunities, and more or less took advantage of them. 

Smith was targeted 129 times in 2011 and 138 in 2012.

He is on pace for 130 this year.

#43 Jrock88

Jrock88

huddle vet

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

i thought he looked more explosive yesterday than ive seen him in a while... 

cam missed him a few times too when he was wide open, should of had a better game stats wise, but he still chipped in with 50 or so

#44 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

Nah DUH! Smitty's time is over. He's your 3-5 rec for 30-40yards a game. But he still demand the best corner to stay on him. He loss some speed and his vertical leaping ability. Smitty is still better than LaFAIL tho.

At this point of time, GREG OLSEN is our best receiver. We are running well and CAM is also spreading the ball to everyone. We dont need Smitty to be Smitty 2 years ago anymore. We'll have to find that future no.1 receiver for next year tho.

#45 tondi

tondi

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

I think its better for Cam (and the offense)  to focus on getting the ball to whoever is open instead of feeling pressure to force it to SS ten times a game, which I think he felt his first couple of years.   SS is still a threat but not enough of one for Cam to be forcing throws to him or throwing him jump balls that he might have pulled down a few years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com