Photo
- - - - -

Interesting tidbits from article covering Cam Newton's struggles in 2012; and a blueprint for RG3.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,872 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

While I'm sick of the 'slump' talk regarding Cam, Kent Babb of The Washington Post made a few good points about his demeanor. He also did some extensive research on Newton's off-season and past which provided some insight into our QB's psychology as a competitor and the strides he made as a leader, teammate and friend. Overall, it was a very nice piece on Cam -- worth the read.

“My son felt like he was drafted No. 1 overall to win games,” the quarterback’s father, Cecil Newton, says, “to be responsible, to take the burden that, when they didn’t win, it was his fault.” 

The ball flew off the bat, and the center fielder jerked into motion. Newton was maybe 11 years old then, his father remembers, already his church softball team’s most athletic player.

In this game, his team entered the final inning with a 7-5 lead. Young Cam tracked the ball to deep center, reaching for the catch — but the ball sailed past his glove, rolling to the fence. The bases cleared, and Cam’s team lost. Afterward, he was inconsolable. “You would’ve thought I sawed his leg off — without anesthesia,” Cecil Newton recalls.

Even then, his father says, Cam took losses personally. If he lost a push-up contest against his dad, he pouted and went quiet. If Cecil ran the 4½-mile course faster than his younger son, the boy scanned his mind for answers. He wanted to disappear, wrapping himself in the darkness and quiet.

“If he didn’t win, it was going to be a bad day,” Cecil says.

Years later, this wouldn’t change. Last season, Newton appeared petulant. When he threw interceptions or made the wrong read or forced a throw or missed a receiver, he retreated to the Panthers’ sideline, found a solitary spot on the bench and wrapped a white towel around his head. He was 23, the center of attention in a 73,000-seat stadium, and inside the towel, he at least could pretend it was dark and quiet.

“You just feel like gratification is going to be instant and things are going to go according to your script,” Cecil Newton says. “And things don’t always go that way.”

Success had always come easily, though. He was a high-school all-American, signed with Florida and spent two seasons there. He then won a junior-college national championship at Blinn College and finished his career at Auburn — with a BCS championship and the Heisman. His college career had been defined by accolades but also by constant movement. Always his team’s most important player, he came to believe only he was responsible for wins and losses.

“He doesn’t really know what it’s like to have teammates and guys you can count on,” Panthers left tackle Jordan Gross says.

Newton returned to Atlanta, where he had grown up, and tried to forget. He popped in “The Nutty Professor,” one of his favorites, and laughed at jokes he already knew.

The weeks passed, and he grew tired of the distractions. Ignoring the sour taste of the 2012 season wouldn’t erase it; only eliminating its reoccurrence would make it disappear. And so when he ran out of comedies, he began watching replays of his news conferences, wincing sometimes at what he saw.

Newton spoke with his father about what he could’ve done differently, on and off the field. If someone refused to criticize him, he pressed for bluntness.

“He made himself available to address some of the perceptions that ‘SportsCenter’ was tagging him with,” Cecil Newton says. “He probably reached out to not only me but other people: ‘What did you see? What was your perception? How would you have addressed it?’ ”

Newton gave up all meats but fish and seafood. He thought about body language and his words and how he dressed. He meditated. He hired a personal trainer, rising at 6 a.m. even on weekends and on vacation, asking his father to join him on the beaches of Panama City for leapfrogs and sand drills, then beginning another session at 3 p.m.

“My hips and butt and waist stayed sore for 10 days,” Cecil says now.

Cam worked on footwork and decision-making. He centered workouts on muscle groups and meals on fueling his body. He thought back on lessons he had learned from George Whitfield Jr., a private quarterback instructor who worked with him before the 2011 draft; Whitfield had talked about fundamentals and the belief that, regardless of Newton’s speed, he could be a passer like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. He practiced ball handling, keeping his eyes downfield, manipulating defenses by directing his offensive linemen into place. He worked on strengthening his legs, which power the throws and reduce inaccurate passes. He surrendered himself to patience; rather than run at the first sign of a hole, representing a feeling he is his team’s only chance at success, he would wait.

“You don’t have to yank the rip cord every time [a defender] gets five feet away,” Whitfield says, recalling a lesson he repeated often to Newton nearly two years ago.

When he rejoined his team last spring, other players noticed a change. Newton smiled during practices and was authoritative in the huddle. He showed a rookie’s enthusiasm, only he was relaxed and experienced. He learned to trust his teammates, and in return, they renewed their trust in him.

“There’s a lot of guys in here who don’t want anything from him,” Gross says, “other than just to be buddies and to support each other.”

http://www.washingto...16a3_story.html

#2 *FreeFua*

*FreeFua*

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,335 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg Manitoba Canada

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

It killed me to see the media rip Cam apart for simply hating to lose. All those press conferences where he was mopey and had his head down, just showed me he truly cares about football.

I'm only 25, and would do the same thing when I was playing ball. I too put my towel over my head, isolated myself from others, not cause I was trying to be a d!ck but because I hating losing just as much. I can see how some of the older people would see it as being immature though, because my dad told me he dreading coming to see some of my games because of the "show" that came along with it if we lost. I look back now and realize I could have handled myself alot better. Cam is 24 years old, people forget that because he has already been in the league for 3 years. Think back to when you were 22 and 23 and how mature were you?

Cam's only getting better too. It'd be so easy to become content in Cam's position as he could get by on talent alone. But Cam strides to be great and as he matures he realizes how much more work he has to put in. I hope Gman locks this kid up to a lifetime contract, I have no doubts that Cam will win a Super Bowl during his career.

TL;DR version: Cam's great!

#3 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,724 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

that was a pretty good article

#4 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,197 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

I saw this article on my phone and really stopped reading after that b.s "slump" talk. Don't try to use our QB as motivation for ya lil QB

#5 ajax4132

ajax4132

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

THATS MY QB, I'd rather have qb who is inconsolable and hates losing that much rather than a qb that doesn't seem to care.

The media hacks specialize in tearing a man down over anything, Cam's fault for anything bad. They can suck one

Cam did not have a slump last year, I hate that bullshit narrative

#6 Semaj

Semaj

The Cam to Kelvin Show

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationPalm Coast, Fl

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

Yes they lost all credibility with the slump non sense.  There simply was no sophmore slump.  It was a typical up and down season for a 2nd year qb.  However he did not regress, therefore there was no slump.

#7 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,872 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

The media will never back off the 'slump' angle because they would have to acknowledge (once again) that they were wrong about Cam.

That, and a redemption story scores more views and hits.

#8 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

What  would the media have to talk about (regarding an alleged "slump") if that stupid ass--now head coach in Cleveland--didn't go Ape poo with the Read Option (and Rivera's poor decision making), messing up Cam's first half of his second season?? :phew:  :phew:  

I didn't read the article. But it's false hope for Griffin fans: Cause Cam (and his team) was never as bad in second year, that RG3's been. Plus, Cam actually excelled in pro-sets, whereas RG3 needs numerous fakes, motions, trickery (i.e., high school type offense), and a run game to lean on for him to be successful. He's just not comfortable with time in the pocket. He gets happy feet. Also, Cam  and the Carolina Panthers never came close to the plethora of internecine warfare, shady maneuvers/skulduggery, and craziness/loony bin atmosphere and media leaks that have permeated the Washington Redskins. It's really a case of apples and oranges, except for the Boy dual Wonder/Media King to Media Class Clown/Boy Blunder media portrayal.

If RG3 wanted to learn anything from Cam Newton, maybe he should have taken it as a compliment when he was compared to him last season, so when they met up in Washington; Oops (Ok, I'll stop)!!Lol......Seriously, he can just handle himself like the total professional Newton has been since he arrived in Carolina, from day one. Let's not let the media steal that to, by saying Cam 'Turned It Around after learning from his mistakes after his second year'.

No-Sir-eee! Cam, was always a hard worker, wanted to learn, and be the best. He just had to learn to handle losing better, and how to bounce back--more quickly and effectively, after playing poorly or making mistakes during games, which he now seemingly has. 

#9 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,872 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

As much as I love to poke fun at all the Foreskin fans that mocked Cam and proclaimed RG3 a vastly superior pocket passer and athlete (comparable to Adrian Peterson, apparently) by pouring it on their savior, there are points to be made regarding whether RG3 can flourish in a system that doesn't feature him as the weapon (scrambling-wise). Subtracting his garbage stats, Griffin has had himself one hell of a dumpster fire. Several people in here can defend him by pointing out that their defense and special teams have been horrific (although very true) but it's the identical scheme in place with the same staff and personnel from last year. In addition, his O-Line this season is actually ranked in the Top 15 in pass protection and Top 10 in run blocking. In reality, Robert's ability to dissect defenses, go through his progressions, maintain composure and pocket presence, etc consistently has hurt Washington's offense. He's been the true liability. Not Alfred Morris, Santanio Moss, Pierre Garcon, Treat Williams, and Fred Davis. Being an arrogant POS didn't do him any favors either. I don't care what his team mates say in a controlled environment in front of the cameras. Rumors keep swirling that RG3's leadership has taken a huge hit because of what's transpired behind the scenes. Granted, rumors are rumors but small things snowball, and eventually those small details that no one really paid attention to aren't so subtle anymore. For example, that image of a referee and an opposing defender helping up RG3 with Morris and his O-Line standing no more than 10 feet away speaks loudly.

Point blank, Griffin has a ton of work to do in the off-season. What RG3 is going through is a sophomore slump. Cam's early struggles during his sophomore season were nowhere near that feeble.

#10 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• HUDDLER
  • 4,433 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:25 PM

I just love how egotistical RG3 was when being compared to Cam. Now look at him. He would be considered lucky to achieve half of what Cam has.

Carma is a bitch RG. Hope your fall from the heavens did you some good and humbled your ass. You aint black jesus

#11 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 18,290 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

Didn't read.

1. Newton didn't struggle. He actually improved from his rookie year.

2. There is no comparison with RG3. RG3 just sucks.

#12 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:51 PM

As much as I love to poke fun at all the Foreskin fans that mocked Cam and proclaimed RG3 a vastly superior pocket passer and athlete (comparable to Adrian Peterson, apparently) by pouring it on their savior, there are points to be made regarding whether RG3 can flourish in a system that doesn't feature him as the weapon (scrambling-wise). Subtracting his garbage stats, Griffin has had himself one hell of a dumpster fire. Several people in here can defend him by pointing out that their defense and special teams have been horrific (although very true) but it's the identical scheme in place with the same staff and personnel from last year. In addition, his O-Line this season is actually ranked in the Top 15 in pass protection and Top 10 in run blocking. In reality, Robert's ability to dissect defenses, go through his progressions, maintain composure and pocket presence, etc consistently has hurt Washington's offense. He's been the true liability. Not Alfred Morris, Santanio Moss, Pierre Garcon, Treat Williams, and Fred Davis. Being an arrogant POS didn't do him any favors either. I don't care what his team mates say in a controlled environment in front of the cameras. Rumors keep swirling that RG3's leadership has taken a huge hit because of what's transpired behind the scenes. Granted, rumors are rumors but small things snowball, and eventually those small details that no one really paid attention to aren't so subtle anymore. For example, that image of a referee and an opposing defender helping up RG3 with Morris and his O-Line standing no more than 10 feet away speaks loudly.

Point blank, Griffin has a ton of work to do in the off-season. What RG3 is going through is a sophomore slump. Cam's early struggles during his sophomore season were nowhere near that feeble.

Yes, there were a good deal of us (last year), calling out RG3's high school offense, lack of pocket skills, selfishness and attitude, and so many didn't wanted to hear it. 

In fairness, today: There were some good comments on that article, regarding Cam and Griffin's second seasons (I read them, not the article). Some of them were apparently from Redskins fans as well. At least they know the truth, and how far Griffin has to climb to be a pocket passer in the NFL. 

#13 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,872 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

Didn't read.

1. Newton didn't struggle. He actually improved from his rookie year.

2. There is no comparison with RG3. RG3 just sucks.

Ummm, Cam did struggle in his first four games of 2012 (whether it was Chud or not). He was a different animal in the final four and pretty hit-or-miss inbetween.

#14 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,872 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

Yes, there were a good deal of us (last year), calling out RG3's high school offense, lack of pocket skills, selfishness and attitude, and so many didn't wanted to hear it.

I fairness, today: There were some good comments on that article, regarding Cam and Griffin's second seasons (I read them, not the article). Some of them were apparently from Redskins fans as well. At least they know the truth, and how far Griffin has to climb to be a pocket passer in the NFL.

Yeah, I noticed them. It was refreshing to see Redskin fans admit that Cam's situation was different compared to RG3's and that Cam is a far better pocket passer in a traditional system.

#15 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

One sight common his first two years, though, was noticeably absent. Says Rivera: “We don’t see him putting the towel on his head anymore.”

LOL, wut?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com