#16 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,546 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

The article wasn't available.

But I have no problem with assisted suicide. Honestly I have no plans of going to a nursing home. I will take care of the job before it reaches that level. I'll start off doing really dangerous stuff, if that doesn't do the trick well then I'll have to do it myself. I figure I'm a lucky girl if I get to live to 78-85 years old.

#17 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 7,546 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

I have a patient who is 93 years old. Most of her friends are dead, her husband is dead and she lives in a nursing home. She is too frail to move around, she is blind, her corneas are so eroded that she is in constant pain. We typically remove the eyes of patients with her condition because there is nothing that can help them but she is to old and frail to get medical clearance.

Last time I saw her she cried and told me that she spends most of her day alone in a room with her eyes closed. The family that insists they cant risk surgery, for fear of her life, hardly visits her. She asks "Why can't they leave me alone and let me die?"
She says she is ready to go and I don't see any reason why she can't be allowed to make that decision.

That's sounds absolutely terrible.

#18 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 15,511 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

here's a thought. If you don't wanna live don't go to the hospital! And you can die freely in the comfort of your own home. Why bother going to a hospital if you're only going to ask the doctor to kill you? thats like going to church and asking the priest to dispell god. Simply put, thats not what they are there for.

It can be difficult for some to kill themselves quickly and painlessly. I would rather have a professional do it.

It doesn't have to be in a hospital but doctors should be involved to assure the "candidate" is truly sick or impaired.

#19 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,711 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

it sets a very dangerous precedent, and those are the only qualms i have about it.

#20 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,264 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

it sets a very dangerous precedent, and those are the only qualms i have about it.

I agree and thats why I responded

I dunno

#21 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

evidently, some doctors feel differently.

First off I ain't sure ms. godess and her twelve post are really a doctor. In that case I'm hehateme. Second if someones options are empty the doctor tells you how long to expect to live and then releases you from all treatments. Happens all the time. To me thats all the assistance they should be able to grant. The doctor has a hypocratic oath to heal. not determine and execute someones fate. if that patient decides its time to stop fighting then its her choice. Just refuse the docs orders and go home.

#22 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

First off I ain't sure ms. godess and her twelve post are really a doctor. In that case I'm hehateme. Second if someones options are empty the doctor tells you how long to expect to live and then releases you from all treatments. Happens all the time. To me thats all the assistance they should be able to grant. The doctor has a hypocratic oath to heal. not determine and execute someones fate. if that patient decides its time to stop fighting then its her choice. Just refuse the docs orders and go home.

i should have told my grandmother who suffered a massive stroke and was kept alive for months against her will that she should've just sacked up and gone home to die on her own... ultimately she had to starve herself to death (in hospital) in order to be allowed to die. Fun stuff... thank goodness for that hypocratic oath.

do you think that people who are well enough to discharge themselves from a hospital and go home are the people we are really talking about here?

#23 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 15,511 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

To me thats all the assistance they should be able to grant. The doctor has a hypocratic oath to heal.

Not really.

Most Hippocratic oaths don't forbid euthanasia these days. And when it was written in ancient Greece doctor's practiced euthanasia (as well as abortion).

It's an ancient and outdated script that said women can't practice medicine and doctors can't break the skin.

#24 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

I have no problem with terminally ill patients choosing to die a peaceful and pain free death. Where does one draw the line on assisted suicide? These people were not terminally ill just handicapped.

I dunno.

the OP link doesn't work for me, but...

What is the difference in terminal illness and terminal human existence?

Maybe one just causes more physical pain than the other or something?

We're all going to die anyways, and if people feel like it is their time, who am I to say that they don't have the right to decide that?

#25 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

i should have told my grandmother who suffered a massive stroke and was kept alive for months against her will that she should've just sacked up and gone home to die on her own... ultimately she had to starve herself to death (in hospital) in order to be allowed to die. Fun stuff... thank goodness for that hypocratic oath.

do you think that people who are well enough to discharge themselves from a hospital and go home are the people we are really talking about here?

sorry about your grandma first off. But i'm saying the hospitals have alot of people who probably feel like diing. but if the doctors can treat you and make you better, then my opinion is to stick it out. otherwise thats suicide. assisted or not. If you are unable to get better then why keep you there if not to just run up the bill? my mom had a doc charge her for 2 surgeries she never recieved. so to assume the doc is going to volunteer sending you home when he could charge you as he as you said, "allows you to die," is up to him. trust me I have had relatives come home to die. but they told the doc thats what they wanted to do. If you are not in a position to be released more than likely you are not in a position to ask a doc to kill you. You're probably on some form of life support and then its up to your family. But lets be honest, this is not assisted suicide. these are mercy killings. If I were a doctor and I might be, I would not kill.

#26 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

sorry about your grandma first off. But i'm saying the hospitals have alot of people who probably feel like diing. but if the doctors can treat you and make you better, then my opinion is to stick it out. otherwise thats suicide. assisted or not. If you are unable to get better then why keep you there if not to just run up the bill? my mom had a doc charge her for 2 surgeries she never recieved. so to assume the doc is going to volunteer sending you home when he could charge you as he as you said, "allows you to die," is up to him. trust me I have had relatives come home to die. but they told the doc thats what they wanted to do. If you are not in a position to be released more than likely you are not in a position to ask a doc to kill you. You're probably on some form of life support and then its up to your family. But lets be honest, this is not assisted suicide. these are mercy killings. If I were a doctor and I might be, I would not kill.

not looking for sympathy, just illustrating a point, thanks just the same though... I just think it should be left up to a person and their doctor... it being illegal benefits absolutely no-one. Doctors shouldn't be forced to do it if people ask, but the option should be there... just like other controversial procedures... I just fail to see how it's anybody elses business.

(grandma wasn't on life support, but she couldn't walk or do anything for herself... she could barely talk... she would've died if they hadn't kept her alive during stroke... the doc gave a good prognosis during/shortly after the stroke, but then realized later how serious it was... by then it was too late to legally pull the plug as she was no longer "plugged in.")

#27 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

I think part of the tragedy of non-assisted suicides are that they are messy, and someone has to come and clean up the mess after someone else (usually a family member) has witnessed it... Add that trauma to an already difficult situation, and you've got more grief...

Assisted suicides, at least the ones I've heard of, seem to generally be a shared plan with those whom may be indirectly affected by it...

I've often had the thought, if the time ever came when I felt like I'd done everything I wanted in life and was ready to give it up, I'd explore assisted suicide as an option... So long as they didn't turn me into Soylent Green afterwards or something...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.