Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GWBNostrils

Husband wants to pull the plug on pregnant wife

122 posts in this topic

Would it make any difference to anyone if the husband wanted the child to be born but the state, or insurance companies wanted to remove life support? 

Depends on what we knew bout the wife's wishes.  If it was her wish to be taken off, she should be taken off.  If her wishes were not known, then it should be the husband's decision.

Depends on what we knew bout the wife's wishes. If it was her wish to be taken off, she should be taken off. If her wishes were not known, then it should be the husband's decision.

Given that she did not have an abortion...is it not fair to say that her wishes were also that her child live?

Thoughts?

Given that she did not have an abortion...is it not fair to say that her wishes were also that her child live?

Thoughts?

I believe that is a fair assessment.  However I am not willing to jump to the conclusion that she wished to be kept alive on machines for 4-5 months to carry the child to term, not when she expressed wishes that she not be kept alive by machines.

I would bet many husbands and wives might have the conversation about life support, but many do not have the conversation specifically about being pregnant at the time.

I would bet many husbands and wives might have the conversation about life support, but many do not have the conversation specifically about being pregnant at the time.

Agreed, although if this goes on to garner Terry Shiavo level attention then I bet that will change.

Although I am not sure it would matter in this case.  Texas does not seem to give a rat's ass about mothers.

Thoughts?

You're making an assumption as you have no idea that she may or may not have planned a termination. Abortions are normally done up to 22-24 weeks depending upon local/state laws and the article states she is currently about 18 weeks.

One could also assume she had an abortion scheduled for next week... we do not know this, perhaps the family does.

I believe that is a fair assessment. However I am not willing to jump to the conclusion that she wished to be kept alive on machines for 4-5 months to carry the child to term, not when she expressed wishes that she not be kept alive by machines.

I am not saying that she should or shouldn't be kept alive. Have not read enough about it not do I know enough if the details. My point all along is that this us not just a case if gov't vs personal rights.

There us a lot more to this one.

You're making an assumption as you have no idea that she may or may not have planned a termination. Abortions are normally done up to 22-24 weeks depending upon local/state laws and the article states she is currently about 18 weeks.

One could also assume she had an abortion scheduled for next week... we do not know this, perhaps the family does.

I asked a question...did not make an assumption.

I posed that if her wishes were to keep the child then would that make the whole discussion different.

I asked a question...did not make an assumption.

I posed that if her wishes were to keep the child then would that make the whole discussion different.

The "you" was used in a collective manner, not necessarily directed at you, but at the question.

The question, as posed, would require one to make such an assumption. And of course if such provisions were made it obviously does create an entirely new circumstance.

The "you" was used in a collective manner, not necessarily directed at you, but at the question.

The question, as posed, would require one to make such an assumption. And of course if such provisions were made it obviously does create an entirely new circumstance.

Fair points.

I am very interested in seeing how this story develops and plays out. It has so many different levels that touch on many hot buttons.