Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some panther fans......

78 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Cam won't leave because a few fans he has never heard from dislike him. I'm sure there are Panther fans out there who don't like Steve Smith either. You can't be loved by everyone.

Posted · Report post

I question Cam all the time, but not for Clausen.  What the heck did Clausen ever show that was better than Cam?  Less arm strength, less mobility, shorter, smaller.  He might throw a nice rainbow deep ball, but had a lot less potential.  Did not even see that he was a leader in the intangables, so not sure what they are looking at beyond race.

I will continue to rag on each player on the team until we win a Super Bowl.  I have no saviours, only guys who play well and those who don't.

Posted · Report post

Soooo I was at a bar celebrating the panthers NFCS championship and of course mingling with other panther fans,....

So you were not celebrating with other Panther fans.

Posted · Report post

When 99 percent of those who vehemently hate Cam in the media is WHITE, and he plays for a team in a region where racism is still a real issue...one cannot help but wonder.

I have tried and tried and tried not to see it that way but it is getting hard when I read the stuff I read and stop to realize that the comments are being directed at the kid who is doing what he's doing for this team. We all know the whole Cam's father tried to "shop" him is bogus created by disgruntled ex-college mates and those at ESPN. Cam father never shopped him. He bragged about his son like any extremely proud father and the guy wanted Cam to sign with his school and went out of HIS own way to offered money. Where are the other schools that his father supposedly shopped too. Still waiting for them to come forward.

When I read this and other boards where some Panther fans literally get pissed when their own fans give Cam, that is a damn shame. When they go out of their way to give more credit to other QBs who have WAY better and more consistent weapons around them, and find ways to put down their own, that's a damn shame. When it's clear this season Cam has been over compensating for the continued weaking of this Offense is being used as the face of a weak offense, that's a damn shame. .

I listen to those who don't seem to have a problem with defending the inconsistencies of this team's Offense, nothing but pure hypocrisy because these are the same folks who will turn around and speak of ALL the weapons they believe young QBs need to help them win games. So QBs like Luck, Peyton, Matthew, Stafford, RG, Colin, Russell need solid weapons around them. Cam doesn't....Okay

And finally, there is something downright disfunctionaly about some of you fans. You remind me of abusive people. They seem to enjoy taking their issues out on their mates and abuse them.  Then they then will turn around and manipulate their mates into thinking that THEY need them and the abuse is their own fault, not the Abusers. That is exactly how you are with Cam. Always finding ways to say he's not good enough; demand he works his ass off for this team;  blame all of your teams weaknesses on him; then sit there concerned about whether he will leave or not. Damn SHAME

Posted · Report post

What are the facts here:

• Panther fan wearing a Smitty Jersey
  • Wishes Pickles was better
  • Critical of Newton

I think it's less about about racial issues and more about entitlement and being a Southern but thoughtful area of the country we can tell the difference. If Smith is OK but Newton is not, it 's probably because Newton ( like others have said) was a number one draft choice that sometimes looks like a rookie. He was hailed as a savior for a small market team. If you would like to check some real, adulterated racism, listen to Philly fans about Cunningham/Vick or Steeler's fans about their coach. I would like to think we are able to have honest conversations here at the huddle about this topic because this is one of the few places in the US where we aren't scared to ask the question 

Posted · Report post

You lost me at jimmy clausen.

Posted · Report post

Do us all a favor and slap them right in the face next time. Those pathetic wankers don't deserve to be in the fanbase.

Posted · Report post

I get this a LOT from people I talk to as well...  honestly most of them are older white people, so I think there is at least some racist attitudes in there...

Fuck them.

Posted · Report post

There's a guy I do work for that's the same way. He can't stand cam because of his "attitude". He will admit that cam is pretty good though.

Posted · Report post

I have seen the racist side of this argument and then I've seen the "I'm-dumb-about-football-and-don't-know-what-I'm-talkin-about" side of it too.

The Racist argument sounds like this:

"Cam Newton sucks he just runs around and then does his little superman dance after every play.  I wish they would knock his black ass out." 

(Pretty disgusting huh?)(These are actual things that I have heard.) 

Then they will go on to bash Steve Smith and call him a Thug and as a side note toss out this little gem, "Somebody ought to rip a handful of 34's hair out, I bet he cuts that shit then..." 

To conclude the racist's rant in the same breath as the other statements about this team they will proclaim, "I will give ya one thing, that Kooklie character or however you say it, THAT boy can play!"

There is nothing to be gained from this conversation.  Try to remove yourself as quickly as you can or if you feel able, pop that dumb sumbitch right in the snot-box.  The choice is yours.

On the other hand, The I-don't-know-football argument is a bit different, it usually includes the phrases "$cam Newton" and "can't read defenses".  They will also say things like "who are your receivers?"  "Your secondary will get exposed" and other moronic things of this nature.

People who employ this tactic are usually new to the Panthers or fans of other teams like the Saints, Falcons, Bucs, Steelers, or Cowboys to name a few. 

The best thing for these people is if they are not already a diehard of one of the above teams is to remain calm and teach them.  They can be converted.  Ignorance is not permanent, it can be fixed.  Stupid cannot. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

i was making small talk with a client one time and things moved to sports

"panthers fan?"

"yeah"

"you like cam newton?"

"yes"

"well, i like what he does on the field.  what he does off it, not so much"

you'd think he was getting in strip club brawls and racking up DUIs or some shit.  

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

There was an idiot on my FB feed yesterday who claims to be a Panther fan, who said something to the effect of "Congrats Panthers but it was all the defense. I don't get all the hype for a mediocre quarterback (Cammy cam), and we'd have a losing season if it weren't for the defense."

Me and another guy proceeded to pretty much destroy him with facts, it was fun

4 people like this

Posted · Report post

i saw someone somewhere comment about about how good the panthers would be "once cam realizes he plays for the carolina panthers and not the carolina cam newtons" or something similarly idiotic.  his play this season has been unselfish and he's unflinchingly done everything that shula has asked of him-what are people looking at?

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Its dislike of skin color augmented by the concept of a "qb" typcasted with the attempted character assassinations done before the draft. However if one is will to hold onto ill conceived opinions from 2 years ago, it just really points to the obvious.

Stuff like this will never go away, even if Cam did win a superbowl. People would say that he didn't do it, receivers caught the ball, the o-line blocked, the defense played defense.

Just how the world works, said reality in all honesty. I just want Cam puts together a couple SB wins and a HOF resume 

Posted · Report post

I get this a LOT from people I talk to as well...  honestly most of them are older white people, so I think there is at least some racist attitudes in there...

fug them.

As an  " older White person" who has been a Panther fan since day 1, IMHO Cam is the best thing that has happen to this franchise since it's inception ( Of course drafting 89 was a pretty good move hehe)

Posted · Report post

I'm guessing there are a lot of South Carolina fans that hate him from his SEC domination at Auburn. My wife went to UGA and she can't stand him...thinks he's an egomaniac, thinks he should have been punished for accepting money to go to Auburn, thinks his various celebrations are obnoxious, etc. That's her opinion and it won't change, regardless of the fact that her husband is a die hard Panther fan. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if there were a bunch of other fans from SEC schools, like SC, that are also Panthers fans and secretly (or not so secretly) wish Cam wasn;t our quarterback. Not justifying it, just guessing that this is the source of some hatred.

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

It just really frustrates me that we have someone who truely cares about winning at all costs and simply because he has some peronality and has fun on the field he's hated on like it's really so sad we as a people still act like this and I really hope this doesn't end in a Lebron move

Thanks for the earlier post. 

Those people can't be real fans. Cause any one who follows the Panthers, know Cam's a good kid, who wants to win. 

If they say otherwise, then they must have ulterior motives, or must not be real/big fans of the Panthers or Cam to begin with. 

As some one said earlier; if you hear them talk about a back up, it's time to switch conversations. 

I think it's a combination of non panther fans; ignorance through the media; racism indeed; "Southern Hospitality", the college wars revisited, and plain stupidity.  

Posted · Report post

As " older White person" who has been a Panther fan since day 1, IMHO Cam is the best thing that has happen to this franchise since it's inception ( Of course drafting 89 was a pretty good move hehe)

Well that's you and I'm white and older than most of these punks on this site too and I love Cam...

Just saying what I've seen.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

wrong word actually, not hated, just "don't trust"  :coldb:

So you didn't trust him before this season??  :startle: 

Posted · Report post

I never really get into those conversations. Some of it may be racist, some of it may be not. Who knows? Not for me to judge. I like everyone on our team regardless of what color skin tone they have. Sports are suppose to be fun and thats all I look for. When someone starts talking nonsense, I usually just stop talking to them. Never argue with a fool. A person watching will have a hard time figuring out who is the fool ( or something like that). I had this one guy at the beginning of the year state he is gonig to have to look for another team because the panthers are moving to LA. I just looked at him and just continued. Don't argue with people, just ignore and enjoy what we have.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I don't even think the race card can be used to explain the hatred for Cam anymore. RG3 was anointed Robert Christ. Wilson went 11/27 last week and got a pass. Everybody loves Bridgewater, and Jameis Winston got accused of RAPE and nobody batted an eye. Cam Newton dances in the endzone like literally everybody else that scores (white or black) and he gets called out for materitity issues. It makes no sense, and frankly I've given up trying to explain it.

Media positioning. 

They weren't told to hate those guys as Cam; starting from his college days, and the trail that followed him into the NFL.

Instead of the media making him a redemption story, they continued to pile on the stories and question Cam's character at Auburn, even after winning a National Championship/going undefeated, right up into the NFL draft, where he was the #1 pick. They did this, though NFL teams had long (and quietly) made Newton the consensus number one pick before the draft to the medias silent chagrin. 

Just cause some racist whites like some blacks, doesn't mean they can't hate other blacks for the wrong or no reasons (especially when told to, either overtly or subliminally). It's like saying, a man can't be sexist to other women, just cause he's married to one. Of course not. 

PS: Cam's size contributes to this as well. No one roots for the giant, in general. And, of course you may have some whites, who feel threatened (though they'll never admit this) about a very large, talented, boisterous black, man, who they feel they can pick on indiscriminately (i.e., he has no feelings; just a work horse; made to be picked on), cause he doesn't fit into their particular comfortable box. 

The irony is (by everything I can see); Cam's a good kid. So it's their loss. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

People behind me at the Saints game could only say "let's go Scam", "Scam couldn't win a big game if his life depended on it."

Posted · Report post

Jimmy was railroaded by Cam....bring Jimmy back !!!!!

said no one, ever

Posted · Report post

fug them.

I think it's racial, as well as generational (via  the media of course). 

Many of them don't like the Superman, and first down celebrations. I get that. But on the other hand; "doth protest too much", cause I don't hear the same disdain for Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, Big Ben, etc., for their celebrations, boosterism, or arrogance. And no, it's not because those guys won superbowls. 

And then, because of the celebrations, they just don't like Cam altogether, and make these far fetched assumptions (selfish, arrogant, un-coachable, etc.), instead of taking him as is, if not liking/loving him altogether). 

I still insist, a lot of this comes from the media portrayal. Cause Kaepernick, is a tatted, emotional/sensitive, happy feet, skittish, borderline seemingly nutso kid, and he gets a pass on lack of QB skills, and personality almost daily. Hence, no one knows (except real football fans who follow the Niners, many NFL teams, or young QB's) how he is. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I consider those type fans ignorant to football and oblivious to what it takes to win.