Photo
- - - - -

McDermott to interview for Redskins HC this weekend...

• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

#166 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,632 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

Another poster has a point. Why aren't players allowed to agree to terms or talk to other teams, but coaches are?

Timing.

The way it used to be, coaches for successful teams got screwed because while they were still coaching in the playoffs, other guys (with lesser success) were getting hired.

The League started allowing bye week interviews specifically to correct that problem.

#167 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 16,528 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

Timing.

The way it used to be, coaches for successful teams got screwed because while they were still coaching in the playoffs, other guys (with lesser success) were getting hired.

The League started allowing bye week interviews specifically to correct that problem.

Those teams were dumb then for hiring someone so soon if they wanted someone from a team that's in the playoffs. I think the league should make teams wait till the playoffs are over. And yes I do see it as a little disrespectful to be doing interviews while your team is still in the playoffs.

#168 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

JASON VERRETT 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 15,521 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

McD isnt getting the job.

Point blank, Washington needs an offensive minded HC to work with RG3, not a defensive minded one.

#169 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationRock Hill S.C.

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

My objective reaction - He would be stupid to even consider that job. Skins are a disaster. Bob the 3rd is developing a reputation as a coach killer. So many defensive starters will be free agents when he takes over. He won't have any 1st round pick(Rams say thank you), so you'll need about 3 years to put together a decent defense. And of course you have to deal with Snyder who has gotten rid of so many coaches in his very short time as owner. May be Sean just wants to increase his stock just by interviewing. That's the only scenario I would understand him interviewing.

My subjective reaction is below

kMb5beL.jpg

Considering that Dan Snyder is the owner of this distressed franchise that is a long way from being a competive team the coach who takes this position is instantly set for for failure.

If McMermott 's (like most NFL coaches) dream/goal is to be an NFL HC,i would rather see him get the Lions position, if it is offered to him. That would be a team a decent coach could turn around with a whole lot less stress and effort.

#170 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,632 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

Those teams were dumb then for hiring someone so soon if they wanted someone from a team that's in the playoffs. I think the league should make teams wait till the playoffs are over. And yes I do see it as a little disrespectful to be doing interviews while your team is still in the playoffs.

Valid points, but I doubt you'll see any changes to the current system anytime soon.

Losing teams like to get started on rebuilding as soon as possible.

#171 KaseKlosed

KaseKlosed

@CMackMost

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Happy for him, but I feel like Ron Rivera is more of the Guru of the defense and consults Sean every single day....I would bet that our defense wont suffer at all if he left because Ron to me has had a lot more success with defensive schemes 

#172 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

Good for him but do you really want to work for Dan Snyder?  Other teams are more attractive than the Redskins.

#173 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,087 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

Good for him but do you really want to work for Dan Snyder? Other teams are more attractive than the Redskins.

That would be the only thing I would question....mcdermott's decision making process for bring interested in Washington

#174 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 11,886 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

So say they wait around for McDermott, letting other coaches get snapped up in the meantime.

Then, after patiently waiting, they bring Sean in for an interview and realize 10 minutes in that he's all wrong for their philosophy and organization. Of course they would have figured that out weeks ago, but they weren't able to even speak to him till now, because otherwise it would have just been disrespectful (whatever that means).

So now this team has missed out on the first round of hires, and has found out too late that the guy they were waiting to talk to was all wrong. 

Now who's dumb?

#175 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

That would be the only thing I would question....mcdermott's decision making process for bring interested in Washington

Well you never turn down a interview just for the experience and to knock off the rust. But Redskins are like the Cowboys at the ownership position.

#176 DoubleTrouble34

DoubleTrouble34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

The chances of him getting this job is slim to none anyways. Snyder wants a more high profile name and I doubt RG3 would approve lol

#177 Red Zone

Red Zone

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationBryson City, NC

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:49 PM

I think a number of posters are over reacting to this. This defense is stacked with talent, and obviously McDermott has done an outstanding job. (Undeniable Fact)

He is a professional and the Panthers are a class organization. I'm certain he is fully committed to his job which includes preparing for the playoffs, and ultimately winning a Super Bowl.

He also has a family and future to be concerned with. (We all do) I personally would not want to work for an organization that wouldn’t support me doing what’s in my own best interest. It’s a simple interview, and I don’t see any reason why this would prevent him from doing what he has done extremely well all year long.

This team has far exceeded my expectations this year and I am having a blast just being along for the ride. Anything positive from this point forward is just icing on the cake.

Go Panthers!

#178 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,632 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

For those who enjoy raging, imagine McDermott not only getting the job, but taking Steve Wilks with him as his DC.

(wouldn't fear that too much though; Wilks and Rivera have history)

#179 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,210 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

It just surprises me how quick teams are ready to for another one of our assistants with really one winning year. Just shows you how desperate some teams are.

#180 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,162 posts
  • LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

I just don't like it because what if the interview goes well, and they feel confident during the course of the interview that he is their man, and he's got the Skins job locked up as soon as the Panthers' season ends.

How many people honestly give their 100% effort after they give their two weeks notice?

It's a hypothetical, yes. But with the first meaningful playoff appearance in 5 years in 2 weeks, I still would rather not leave anything to chance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.