Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calling the Mike

32 posts in this topic

Posted

Just of of curiosity. Kahlil Calls the mike right? Would it make any difference if Cam does it?

Posted

59's THE MIKE

1 person likes this

Posted

The MLB is the MLB regardless of who points it out, so unless they had different opinions of who the MLB is on that play I wouldn't think it matters.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the answer.

Posted

DP

Posted

It's a protection scheming thing. It's not who is actually the MLB but rather who is the defensive fulcrum of the play.

In a running play it can let the lead blocker know who to single out or in passing plays who the back should watch on the blitz. In a passing play, if the Mike doesn't blitz, the back is free to go out on a route.

6 people like this

Posted

It's a protection scheming thing. It's not who is actually the MLB but rather who is the defensive fulcrum of the play.

In a running play it can let the lead blocker know who to single out or in passing plays who the back should watch on the blitz. In a passing play, if the Mike doesn't blitz, the back is free to go out on a route.

Yep, it's all about centering the blocks. The QB has to recognize it as well in case someone will be left free he knows he has to get the ball out.

As an aside, anyone remember Tolbert's bulldozing run against the Falcons? On review I noticed Cam recognized a six-man front and audibled to the run with a "Kansas! Kansas!" call.

4 people like this

Posted

that Cam audible on the Tolbert play was smart.  Giving him more authority and control will keep paying dividends.

1 person likes this

Posted

Quarterback calls out the mike.

Center calls protection.

1 person likes this

Posted

Quarterback calls out the mike.

Center calls protection.

The majority of the time, but not always. The QB is in a better position to identify the Mike but I've seen teams with young QBs delegate the call elsewhere. I seem to recall Sanchez calling out a DE as a Mike one time and Rex going ballistic.

Posted

The majority of the time, but not always. The QB is in a better position to identify the Mike but I've seen teams with young QBs delegate the call elsewhere. I seem to recall Sanchez calling out a DE as a Mike one time and Rex going ballistic.

Happily, we don't have that sort of problem.

Posted

On our defense, 21 is the Mike.

ba_dum_tss_meme-s1500x1294-375885-580.pn

6 people like this