• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,387 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

haha.  This kid's appendicitis bill from a hospital has gone viral when his health insurance didn't cover 11k of it.

http://www.viralnova.../hospital-bill/

I guess a lot of people didn't realize this was how stuff worked.  I'm curious about the nature of his father's plan, though, and I want to know if I can blame Obama. ;)

So here's a question: Would single payer really drive down hospital costs, or would they simply shift the cost in a way that would cause the average person to pay me slightly more on a yearly basis for health care?  I'm cool with paying more so other people can stay healthy, know I'll need it some day.  Thoughts?

#2 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,192 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

What was most disappointing about Obamacare or whatever you want to call it, is that hospital costs are not dealt with.  The crux of it is that the Gov will just pay less to doctors, who I guess will have to figure it out on their own?

If I feel my power bill is just too high, I cannot just pay Duke Power 60% of my bill.  Apparently, the government thinks that is a good path.

Having rich people pay more for healthcare and subsidizing people who make less still does not effect the high bills that come after a hospital visit.  The main problem of high prices needs to be addressed.  Why are they high?

Maybe that would be a good thread.

#3 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,204 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:09 PM

Do the math... looks like a basic 80/20 policy. Hospital bills are as negotiable as buying a used car and I'm sure this guy could walk for next to nothing if he really anted to pursue it.

At 57 years old I consider myself extremely fortunate that the most serious medical condition I've ever had was an outpatient gall bladder removal. I was in the hospital for 6 hours and a couple days before the surgery I was doing the paperwork and the person I was dealing with said,

"Okay, this is your portion of the bill, payable within 30 days of the surgery. However, if you pay today, I can offer you this discounted price of...."

It was almost a 20% discount!

And this is obviously not an Obamacare issue given the fact the surgery was done last October. 

#4 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,600 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

Everyone agrees that health costs are too high.

But it looks like this 20-year old was covered under a high deductible and/or copay policy. While 50k is silly, there are plenty of ailments out that that cost $100,000+. I know because my kid was in the hospital for 2 weeks after very complex surgery and then home health care and treatment for several months after that. Easily over $100k. I ended up paying around $8k because we ended up at JHU which was out of network. But I knew exactly what the max would be when I signed up for the policy.

And I don't know what the typical going rate for a burst appendix emergency surgery is, but this kid was going to owe thousands either way.

If your policy doesn't protect you from ruin then you have the wrong policy.

#5 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,245 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

haha. This kid's appendicitis bill from a hospital has gone viral when his health insurance didn't cover 11k of it.

http://www.viralnova.../hospital-bill/

I guess a lot of people didn't realize this was how stuff worked. I'm curious about the nature of his father's plan, though, and I want to know if I can blame Obama. ;)

So here's a question: Would single payer really drive down hospital costs, or would they simply shift the cost in a way that would cause the average person to pay me slightly more on a yearly basis for health care? I'm cool with paying more so other people can stay healthy, know I'll need it some day. Thoughts?

If you are cool now with paying more so others stay healthy (assuming this is true) then are you cool with paying more each and every year?
How bout more property taxes for schools even if you dont have kids?
How bout more taxes because the govt just thinks you aren't paying enough?
Quasi extreme sure but it can get loopy.
The pay more so somebody else benefits feels good but doesnt mean its executed that way.
No such thing as a free lunch unfortunately.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#6 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,387 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

If you are cool now with paying more so others stay healthy (assuming this is true) then are you cool with paying more each and every year?
How bout more property taxes for schools even if you dont have kids?
How bout more taxes because the govt just thinks you aren't paying enough?
Quasi extreme sure but it can get loopy.
The pay more so somebody else benefits feels good but doesnt mean its executed that way.
No such thing as a free lunch unfortunately.

1) Yes?  That's how health care works.  It tends to increase in cost.

2) Uhh, yes?  Education is fuging important and I benefited from public education growing up, why shouldn't I want everyone else to benefit??  I fuging wish I could pay more in taxes and not have had to have my gigantic loans for school, and once I get a higher paying job I'll be more than happy to help fund education even more.

3) That's why I vote - if I don't want to pay more taxes, I vote in candidates that don't want me to pay more taxes. 

What the hell do #2/#3 have to do with this? I said in my post I was fine with paying more for other people.

I feel that I have benefited tremendously from society, and it has enabled me to pull myself up by my bootstraps, as it were, so I feel I should help others do the same.  I think there are certain areas the government could excel in doing that compared to the private sector - one of those is medical care.

#7 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,773 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

My insurance declined to pay my 24,000 or so dollar hospital bill as a preexisting condition, I applied for the VA to cover as service connected and they covered at their big gubmint rate of 11000 dollars but sure government healthcare sux lol

#8 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,245 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

1) Yes?  That's how health care works.  It tends to increase in cost.

2) Uhh, yes?  Education is fuging important and I benefited from public education growing up, why shouldn't I want everyone else to benefit??  I fuging wish I could pay more in taxes and not have had to have my gigantic loans for school, and once I get a higher paying job I'll be more than happy to help fund education even more.

3) That's why I vote - if I don't want to pay more taxes, I vote in candidates that don't want me to pay more taxes. 

What the hell do #2/#3 have to do with this? I said in my post I was fine with paying more for other people.

I feel that I have benefited tremendously from society, and it has enabled me to pull myself up by my bootstraps, as it were, so I feel I should help others do the same.  I think there are certain areas the government could excel in doing that compared to the private sector - one of those is medical care.

But shouldn't health care cost go DOWN with the new ACA? That's tricky of course.

I too am a product of public education. The issue for me is at least allow people who want to pay more to be able to do so or at least be more transparent with the usage of said taxes and how it's spent.

The examples I gave have a lot to do with this. But if you have no barometer of incorrect spending or allocation I guess you are good to go.

I disagree with the govt and medical care though. Since they are going to be involved I just hope they don't become the dominant player in health care. I still am a big fan of competition.

That is why you went to the school you went to and will go into the field you will go into. You are following your passions but you at least had a choice of what to get into.

Having had to work in a myriad of projects that involved both the govt and private sectors on major scales more often than not it was the govt side of the project that either got bloated on budgets or bogged down in lack of leadership and red tape.

One thing while here so I'm clear. I'm not ANTI tax. I'm not anti tax INCREASE. I'm simply against having groups that have ZERO skin in the game(govt) that can casually and blindly spend YOUR/my money.

If the govt could simply be more prudent and smart and practical with directive spending(stuff that more closely effects everyday people) I would have less angst.

This is the part of why I caution people on how the govt operates. And mav I know you are bright kid with a great future so I don't sweat you won't figure things out and adjust accordingly. As you get older you will see more what I mean.

#9 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,192 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

The fraud in and because of this program will be epic, it is huge already in Medicaid.

#10 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

Looks to me like the Father has just a standard 80/20 he may be bitching about it but it the Insurance plan that they chose so don't really care. I'd be in the same boat if something like that were to happen to me.

#11 CarolinaSock

CarolinaSock

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

The problem with "competition" in medical care, is that in the cases where you need it the most, there is no competition. If you have a heart attack your not going to argue with the emt about what hospital they are taking you to. Most people are not going to argue with their doctor about their treatment for cancer. I really don't think medical care, especially hospital care, can be treated like any other industry in terms of free market competition.

#12 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,138 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

One of the big arguments for Obamacare was that it would prevent THOSE people (those without insurance) from going to ERs instead of primary care/urgent care.

Well...

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba709

#13 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,138 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

By the way...that particular California hospital system is being sued.

http://www.businessi...5502931-2013-12

Pretty sure hospital billing transparency laws were passed recently here in NC. 

#14 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,245 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

The problem with "competition" in medical care, is that in the cases where you need it the most, there is no competition. If you have a heart attack your not going to argue with the emt about what hospital they are taking you to. Most people are not going to argue with their doctor about their treatment for cancer. I really don't think medical care, especially hospital care, can be treated like any other industry in terms of free market competition.

It can be free market if MORE people demand it.
The talk before ACA was people who were not insured goes to the emergency room and those costs get spread out to other people. Keep in mind you have within this thread people saying they dont mind paying more.
So that's odd. Yet even after the new health law the emergency room scenario i mentioned isn't going away.
This is my beef and why I harp on this and blind loyalty.
Had this been a rep president who was pushing the same law it would be crushed by the media and those on the left would cry about the website and on and on.
I want smarter govt. I want prudent and practical govt.

The way hospitals go and costs there could be innovative ways to fix but we all seem to think they only answers can come from dc on this.

Finally this. Many here will see the slightest criticism of the govt and they get bent out of shape and call you anti govt and whine.
So I ask those who wears that shoe this.
When you invest do you invest 100% in govt bonds or do you spread it around? If you are that confident in the govt put all your eggs in one basket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.