Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Revis Could Get Cut By Tampa

88 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Can they just cut him? It seems like that would kill their cap

No, Thomas Dimitrioff did an amazing job with the Revis contract where he got 0 guaranteed money so that means they can cut him with almost no harm to their cap. Its crazy really that people actually even criticized TD on that contract whatsoever as I have been hearing the past few days now that he has been fired.

Posted · Report post

Because I know it'll come up, we run a zone scheme here so he wouldn't be a good fit.

We only run zone because of what we have to work with. I think we could find a way to make Revis fit. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Mike Florio from ProFootballTalk.com speculates

Let me stop you right there...

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Yeah, 16 mil this year, but what about down the line?

Read the news story!

Snippet:

Cutting Revis does make fiscal sense, since the Buccaneers are paying Revis as they go and only owe him $16 million in non- guarnteed money next season. If the Buccaneers were to release Revis, they’d save $16 million and be able to put that towards bringing in one of the numerous free agents that might want to play for Lovie Smith.

Posted · Report post

No, Thomas Dimitrioff did an amazing job with the Revis contract where he got 0 guaranteed money so that means they can cut him with almost no harm to their cap. Its crazy really that people actually even criticized TD on that contract whatsoever as I have been hearing the past few days now that he has been fired.

Wow, okay good to know. 

Posted · Report post

I don't understand if you have a CB of that caliber, why not let him play to his strength and let everyone else play zone
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

What? 

Did you mean Mark Dominik?

4 people like this

Posted · Report post

As Chris Brown of Smart Football pointed out, Lovie last ran a Cover 1 Man as his main scheme in Chicago. Also, you don't dump one of the best corners in football just to lose a 4th rounder rather than a 3rd.

Posted · Report post

He'll end up in Oakland or Washington with guaranteed money, thus pouring kerosene on their respective dumpster fires. 

Posted · Report post

We only run zone because of what we have to work with. I think we could find a way to make Revis fit. 

Not quite true.

We run zone because both our head coach and our defensive coordinator cut their teeth under the tutelage of Jim Johnson - one of the best DCs in recent history, mind you - who ran a zone blitz attack out of a 4-3 (same defense the Steelers have run forever under Dick LeBeau, just out of a different alignment.

Possible we could change schemes if McDermott gets a job elsewhere, but I wouldn't bet on it.  Our current personnel fit this attack pretty well, and an overhaul of a top ranked unit doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Dimitroff runs the Falcons.

Mark Dominik was the Bucs GM (but not anymore).

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Not quite true.

We run zone because both our head coach and our defensive coordinator cut their teeth under the tutelage of Jim Johnson - one of the best DCs in recent history, mind you - who ran a zone blitz attack out of a 4-3 (same defense the Steelers have run forever under Dick LeBeau, just out of a different alignment.

Possible we could change schemes if McDermott gets a job elsewhere, but I wouldn't bet on it.  Our current personnel fit this attack pretty well, and an overhaul of a top ranked unit doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Agreed.  If McDermott moves on, I would bet on Rivera hiring a Coordinator that fits the scheme we have now.  Why change the top defense in the league?