48 replies to this topic

#46 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:41 AM

Humans are pretty fuging humane compared to the other "intelligent species" on Earth, i.e. dolphins and chimpanzees.

#47 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,388 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

Watching Predators at War some, I wonder if lion cubs ever go to the lionesses and express their displease of how their dinner was still alive while they were partaking. 

#48 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

Humans are pretty fuging humane compared to the other "intelligent species" on Earth, i.e. dolphins and chimpanzees.

How do you figure so?

#49 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,378 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

not to be a dick but using antibiotics on viruses is dumb anyway. I'm suspecting you're referring to other diseases, those driven by bacteria, which are treated with antibiotics.  Sorry to be a dick here, but part of the reason antibiotic resistance is occurring in the human population is that too few people understand the difference between a virus and a bacteria.

from what I've read, the biggest danger is salmonella, so cook the fug out of that chicken.

you're right about it being a problem, but it's probably the only way to keep so many animals in confined spaces.

I'd be just as happy if we, uh, didn't do that.

Didn't see this earlier, I miss-typed in my post I was meaning that Antibiotics are becoming ineffective at treating diseases and viral infections are rapidly evolving and mutating because of the breeding grounds that factory farms have become. 

http://www.buffalone...erbugs-20131201

70% of antibiotics are used in factory farms and it's causing them to pretty much die out, antibiotics are getting more and more ineffective at treating the diseases they are created for and the largest cause for that is factory farming. It's the largest concern when it comes to antibiotics becoming completely ineffective. It's given to treat pretty much everything in factory farms and it ends up in the food people eat, thus creating a cycle of the human populous getting fed antibiotics everyday if they eat meat regularly. 

http://www.scientifi...in-food-animals

Of even greater concern is the preponderance of antibiotics used down on the farm. “Antibiotics often are used on industrial farms not only to treat sick animals but also to offset [the health effects of] crowding and poor sanitation, as well as to spur animal growth,” reports the Pew Campaign on Human Health and Industrial Farming. Indeed, researchers estimate that up to 70 percent of all antibiotics sold in the U.S. are given to healthy food animals to artificially expedite their growth and compensate for the effects of unsanitary farm conditions. “The routine use of antibiotics in food animals presents a serious and growing threat to human health because it creates new strains of dangerous antibiotic-resistant bacteria,” says Pew.

http://www.treehugge...nt-viruses.html

If vaccinations are indeed driving new mutilations, then I see a gaping dilemma presented by industrial-scale hog farming: If we insist on raising animals in massive concentrations, we're forced to choose between a vaccination treadmill, which reduces the incidence level of flu in CAFOs but predictably generates novel, vaccine-resistant strains, or not vaccinating at all, which would allow flu to run rampant among millions of hogs. There is, of course, a third option: Stop raising animals under industrial-scale, dense conditions.

As for my miss type in my previous post on how factory farming effects viral infections, I didn't make the distinction in my first post and that's my fault. It's happening with both Antibiotics and vaccines, most of their uses in the US are on factory farms to keep animals alive in crowded horrible conditions and it's leading to stronger mutated viruses and antibiotic resilient bacteria strands.  Really the only way to stop this downward cycle is to either eat meat you know isn't pumped full of antibiotics and vaccines, urge the US government to enforce the FDA and USDA to limit the amount and types of antibiotics and vaccines to those that are just used on animals and not those that are prescribed and given to humans as well. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com