Photo
- - - - -

Does Andre Reed getting into the Hall of Fame help Steve Smith's case?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#11 thomas96

thomas96

DIZZY

SUPPORTER

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

I can see Smith having a huge year next year if we get another WR (or 2) to open up the field more. I'm talking like 1300 yards and 10 touchdowns. He definitely deserves HoF and a Super Bowl ring. I hope he comes back to coach after he retires too, but I could see him playing another 3-4 years. (not at an elite level of course)

#12 Panthers111

Panthers111

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

Having Jake throw Smitty the ball was probably the best thing that could have happened to Smiths numbers. Think Manning Brady Rodgers Brees - they spread the ball around like crazy. I would compare Jake and Smith to Stafford and Megatron. Whenever Stafford is in trouble throw it up to Johnson. 

#13 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

Yes, but more significantly is the commitment to clearing out the voting committee has taken to sort out the jam at the position the last couple years. Steve could very realistically top Reed.

Keep pounding 89 and you could vey well get what you should.

And get rid of the media as the determiners of this kind of thing, today's media isn't qualified to make these kind of decisions

#14 PiratePanther189

PiratePanther189

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:36 AM

There wasn't nearly as much of a logjam at the WR position in Andre Reed, Michael Irvin, and Jerry Rice's day in terms of who is an elite receiver and who isn't. Today's passing league has made it very hard to determine and every team wants to argue for their 2000's receiver.

Smitty means a lot to us as fans, but as other people have said in past threads, if Smitty was to get in to the Hall without a ring then there's a lot of other guys that would have a case just as good as his. I don't know whether the Hall wants to open up the receiver position wide enough to allow so many in. In the past, WR HOF'ers have been a pretty tough group to join. Smith needs a ring or two to solidify his argument.

#15 ajax4132

ajax4132

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:47 AM

I think being 5'9 helps Smitty case more than anything.

For him to put up the stats that he had, they way he dominated his competition in his prime

and as an above poster he was the best wr in the game in 05

all at 5'9

#16 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

HUDDLER

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:49 AM

One thing that I keep thinking about Smith is that he seriously could have been a GOAT candidate if it weren't for all the crappy teams he's been on, imagine Smitty and Cam playing together in their prime? The combo would be untouchable, and don't get me wrong I do Love Jake and he will still go down as one of my all time favorite QBs but Cam talent wise is in a different league then Jake even though he doesn't have the Big wins yet.

#17 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• LocationCharlotte, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:22 AM

. To compare, Steve Smith averages 64 catches, 938 yards and 5 touchdowns over a 13-year career, despite having basically two seasons (2001, 2004) wasted and playing on a team that threw the ball less than pretty much every other team.

Don't forget about the wonderful 2010 season

#18 GRWatcher

GRWatcher

visiting from Kepler-186f

• LocationStatesville
HUDDLER

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

What you have to know is that the game of football was very different when Reed played from how it's played today. TE's mostly blocked, no Gonzales or Graham type of TE (Shannon Sharpe changed that). Running backs seldom were thrown to, the fullback was constantly on the field. If anyone was going to cross the middle & catch the ball it was going to be a WR. And most plays had only 1 WR on the field. And Reed was that guy. Never hesitated going across the middle, seldom dropped the ball. Like they said in his introduction, he was one of the toughest players ever. I think he should've been in the HOF before Kelly. Reed was my absolute favorite player while I was growing up. Glad he made it in.

Steve Smith is another tough WR and shouldn't have a problem getting votes to make it in the HOF. Especially if we make it to the Super Bowl again. poo, if Carter can get in (IMO he's a wuss), Smitty can for sure.

#19 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

Andre Reed didn't play half his career in the passing era.....

Passing era hurts 89. Reed won't have the same competition either.

#20 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

HUDDLER

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

If Steve had a ring we wouldn't even be having this conversation.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users