Photo
- - - - -

Kansas House passes sweeping bill allowing anti-gay discrimination in government, businesses

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#1 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,832 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

http://www.dailykos....ent-businesses#

And now we're in the stage where conservative-led states try and top each other for the most outrageous pro-discrimination laws of all.
[T]he sweep of Kansas’ statute is breathtaking. Any government employee is given explicit permission to discriminate against gay couples—not just county clerks and DMV employees, but literally anyone who works for the state of Kansas. If a gay couple calls the police, an officer may refuse to help them if interacting with a gay couple violates his religious principles. State hospitals can turn away gay couples at the door and deny them treatment with impunity. Gay couples can be banned from public parks, public pools, anything that operates under the aegis of the Kansas state government.

The Kansas House passed it Wednesday, meaning it's on to the Kansas Senate, and it is impressive in its scope [PDF]. Public and private employees can both refuse "any service," quote, to gay Americans, so long as they claim it is because they oppose marriage equality, or civil unions, or "similar arrangements." The evidence required to prove such a claim is all but nonexistent, and individuals who file suit against private businesses for discrimination will be required to pay the business's legal fees if the business is found to be working within these impossibly broad new "rights." At some point a great many of the same people who support these laws are going to look back on them as a humiliating, embarrassing episode, just as all other pro-discrimination supporters have eventually had to admit in order to be re-admitted to polite company. But that day isn't here yet, and in the parts of the nation where you can still assert "religious principles" for shooting a doctor or setting fire to a building and still have a good chunk of the population on your side, it still seems a long way off.

Still have a long way to go.

#2 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

Lol. 'Merica!!Attached File  image.jpg   49.02KB   14 downloads

#3 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

http://www.dailykos....ent-businesses#

Still have a long way to go.

Oh boy... this will only give rise to the next logical steps of discrimination. Women, people of color, anyone over the age of 50, geeks who attend Star Trek conventions.....

I can see the Kansas Republican Party all meeting in one of their homophobe neighborhood basements, all dropping notes into a hat to see who they want to ostracize next.

It's crap like this that makes me wonder why the fug I spent 20 years defending the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic. Turns out there are far more domestic enemies trying to fug this country back to the 19th century than I imagined when I enlisted...

What a bunch of complete asshats.

#4 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,832 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

http://www.huffingto...kusaolp00000009

Real people are affected by these things.

#5 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

We dominated time of possession though!

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,009 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

somebody will be in here soon to point out how the libs are just as bad

#6 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,832 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

Well we are intolerant of things like this, which makes us intolerant

#7 332nd

332nd

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

Why do I get the feeling they know this is going to be struck down & they will get to howl about how they are being oppressed?

#8 intangiblejohnny

intangiblejohnny

The Josh McRoberts of Posting

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • LocationInterwebz

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

Sickening. That's all I have to say about the situation whether it passes the state senate or not.

If passed this issue will inevitably be decided by the Supreme Court with who I have little faith.

#9 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,832 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

Last time this Legislature got something really out of line actually signed into law, it was a nutty abortion thing that actually went to a Proposition vote - and lost.

This won't make it that far, no court could ever consider this legal, there's nothing to worry about in terms of it going into effect - but I'll tell you what, the more these crazy people do this, the worse it's going to be for them when the gay marriage recognition process hits them and a court has to decide how it goes, and remembers why the court is even working on this in the first place - because of the nuts that passed that obscene law.

#10 intangiblejohnny

intangiblejohnny

The Josh McRoberts of Posting

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • LocationInterwebz

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:20 PM

So, basically what they are trying to communicate is "we know this isn't constitutional but we just want the rest of the country to know how we feel"

So it's a crazy right wing vote attracting drama. Am I on the right track?

#11 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,946 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:28 PM

Nullification

#12 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,886 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

liberals claim to be tolerant but then they get all mad and intolerant when someone disagrees with them

this is a great example of how liberals are just as intolerant as conservatives

#13 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

__YOU CAN'T FIRE ME!__

• HUDDLER
  • 18,362 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:54 PM

Yes 911?

I live at 234 whatever street and my house is burning down!

Please send the Fire Department!

Oh, and we're a gay couple, thought that might be relevant.

So only send the truck if you aren't afraid of koodies.

Yeah don't think we need to worry about that.

#14 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,832 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:57 PM

Hmmm keen insight.

#15 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:06 AM

This is what happens when you entertain the notion that everyone's opinion is equal.

I'm sorry, but not all opinions deserve to be codified as law.  If you're uncomfortable with gay people, fine, but the second you start treating them different because they're gay you start to become a bigot.

When you pass laws like this?  fug...

fug the fundamentalists that are pushing this bullshit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com