• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,654 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

What is one thing the two best teams had this year? Quality depth. The Seahawks and Niners didn't trade away their picks for one great player. They acquired picks and drafted well. This is the philosophy DG will take. Watkins isn't gonna be a Panther and IDT he needs to be. If we can somehow manage to sign Monroe, Albert, Collins, or even Ryan Harris then it frees us up to take BPA at 28.

I have a feeling that Benjamin could be there or maybe you trade back to the top of the 2nd round and take Robinson. Either way...idt you give your whole draft away for Watkins. If you do that then you are stuck with no depth in a few years when you're trying to resign top tier players and plug holes with young talent.

#32 Evengelion

Evengelion

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

We don't need a top 2 defense. This offense with Cam has so much potential to be virtually unstoppable. I wouldn't mind giving up next year's 1st round pick to get either Watkins or Evans. What's a bottom 1st round pick to perennial playoffs team! Most of those guys are hit or miss anyway. Gettleman need to do something. With all the money going to the defense we could have a cheap #1 franchise WR for the next 4 years. Make it happen!

#33 GoCarolina8990

GoCarolina8990

All Day

• HUDDLER
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

We don't need a top 2 defense. This offense with Cam has so much potential to be virtually unstoppable. I wouldn't mind giving up next year's 1st round pick to get either Watkins or Evans. What's a bottom 1st round pick to perennial playoffs team! Most of those guys are hit or miss anyway. Gettleman need to do something. With all the money going to the defense we could have a cheep #1 franchise WR for the next 4 years. Make it happen!

Yes.

#34 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,947 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

What is one thing the two best teams had this year? Quality depth. The Seahawks and Niners didn't trade away their picks for one great player. They acquired picks and drafted well. This is the philosophy DG will take. Watkins isn't gonna be a Panther and IDT he needs to be. If we can somehow manage to sign Monroe, Albert, Collins, or even Ryan Harris then it frees us up to take BPA at 28.

I have a feeling that Benjamin could be there or maybe you trade back to the top of the 2nd round and take Robinson. Either way...idt you give your whole draft away for Watkins. If you do that then you are stuck with no depth in a few years when you're trying to resign top tier players and plug holes with young talent.

Not a great player, but 49ers traded up for Eric Reid.

#35 Gin and Juice

Gin and Juice

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

And who might that be?  Cooks?

Kenaan Allen of 2014-Jordan Mathews

#36 mcdougal

mcdougal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

Def not high. Def a bit BUZZ tho.

But, def still straight.

Evans is a huge target with soft, natural hands. The game comes easy for him. He'll probably go on and have the best rookie season out of this wr class.

What I mean is Im not going to trade up top 8 for Watkins. But, Def trade up top 15 for Evans. He's a damn BEAST motha fugger!!!!!!

OPEN YOUR EYES!!!!!!!!!!  

p.s.

sorry, a bit buzz foo, but you acting like Watkins is on another level with Evans which he's not!!!! lol

I guess I am as crazy as you because I would probably (I'll suffer an ulcer while doing so) pick evans over watkins for this offense if I had to choose straight up between the two. 

For the Pats or the Broncos or the Packers or the Chargers I'll go with Watkins, but for Cam, I think Evans and Benjamin are better fits than Watkins or Lee. I just think Cam needs physical play makers that think that every pass is theirs. Route running ability is still extremely important, but a WR that can erase a bad throw and move the chains is needed as much as the route running.

And given the fact that Evans might last until pick 15 and Watkins certainly will not...

I would much rather sell the family car for Evans than sell the family farm for Watkins.

#37 mcdougal

mcdougal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Sorry to sound like an assh0le but I am tried of people thinking like this. There is more than one way to win in the NFL. Yes the Seahawks and the Niners probably had the two best teams last year and yes those teams were relatively deep, but what is going to happen next year when a team like GB wins without any quality depth? Or a team like the Eagles win with Chip Kelly's college offense? Or the Atlanta Falcons win without a great OL but great skill position players?

A decade ago it was believed that you could not win a superbowl with offense and subpar defense, a couple of years it was you could not win a superbowl without a high powered offense and an elite HOF QB, now we are back to defense only wins super bowls you don't need even need a qb.

Smart GMs and Coaches just try to accumulate the best talent and coach said talent to the very best of their abilities. GMs and Coaches who focus on modeling their teams on the previous year's SB winners would literally spend every offseason changing over roster and coaching staffs because it changes every year.

#38 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,260 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

People thought Stafford + Megatron would be an unstoppable force. Where are they now?

Fans in here are seriously sleeping on the wide outs NOT named Evans and Watkins. Moncrief is absolutely electric himself if a small crease even opens, Enunwa is a big nasty receiver who thrives in the redzone, Coleman is a TE playing WR and possesses some upside, Adams is possibly the best attacker in this draft, etc.

Yes, drafting Watkins would be outstanding but we don't have a Top 5 pick. So we'll have to dig in deep and find a guy other teams have missed on.

#39 CBDellinger

CBDellinger

CAMdamonium!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

^^^ nailed it.

This we class is awesome. The best WR of the bunch will likely be drafted late 1st early 2nd round maybe even later.

Watkins is good but not leaps and bounds over the rest of the class. Certainly not worth moving up when you can wait and get an absolute stud later.

#40 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,337 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

This thread is full of fuging crystal balls.  

With the draft class being so deep at WR, who really knows which one is going to be the best of the draft class? Oh, Watkins is supposed to be the best out the class because talking heads have said so?  Have we not learned anything from last season?  Anyway...

No way we're trading up to get Watkins, nor should we.  The draft class is too full of high potential guys at several positions---including wide receiver---to justify throwing all our cards in the hat for one guy to the possible overall detriment of the team.   

#41 AubPanther

AubPanther

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

This is my first post, so be nice.

I do not see the value in moving up to get Watkins, especially with how deep WR is in this draft.  Teams like the Falcons (Jones) and the Redskins (RG3) have given up a lot of assets to get one player and now look where they are. Little to no depth espesicially on defense.  Teams like the Patriots, Seahawks, and 49ers have stockpiled picks and depth. 

Lee, Cooks, Beckham Jr., Benjamin, etc. are all guys that could be available for us in the 1st round, and all of those guys have a lot of upside.  Lee had some injuries and played on a bad team this year, but remember the year before he was thought to be a potential top-5 pick. 

However, I also believe in taking the best player available for the most part.  If a guy like Justin Gilbert, Darquez Denard, or a highly rated OT falls to us at 28 I wouldn't be opposed to taking them.  Reciever is a flashy, sexy position and we definitely need help there, but our secondary and O-Line need help as well.  Receiver is so deep we could get a very good one in Round 2. 

#42 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,644 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Marty Hurney may be gone, but his memory lives on in the fans who every year still want to mortgage the future in the draft.

Ask the Falcons how that is working out for them.

#43 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,735 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

Marty Hurney may be gone, but his memory lives on in the fans who every year still want to mortgage the future in the draft.

The Falcons are a great example because Julio is everything he was touted to be coming out, however the lack of picks from that trade have him getting passes from a QB that was one of the most sacked in the NFL. Add the fact that their DL sucks and you quickly see why it's a bad idea.

If we were in the top 5 there's no doubt Watkins would be my pick, but it's just a pipe dream at 28.

#44 updownsigma

updownsigma

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationDurham

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

Not to mention, I don't even think Watkins is as talented as Julio was coming out.

#45 Camsfanclub

Camsfanclub

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

The most talented player in the draft. He needs to be a Panther somehow. The effect he would have on our offense would be priceless. With Watkins I think despite our offensive line woes as of now, we would still undoubtedly be a top 10 offense. Top 5 even a possibility.

The amount of cap hit we are taking from Hardy ft is a ton. We were the second best defense. Take out Hardy and add Watkins to our offense and our D doesn't need to be AS good and our D is still going to be beastly cause of TD, Star, CJ, Kuechly. And I only named the guys we know for a fact can ball. I didn't name Short who could also be an All Pro DT or our slew of potential starting DE's with Addison, Horton, Alexander

We don't need to spend out the asshole for one great player on a great D we have plenty of great players on D. I think Gettleman has something up his sleeve and if a long term deal cant be agreed upon Hardy is traded.

Bottom line, Watkins makes our offense great. You want a sure fire #1? You get it in Watkins. He coulda fuged poo up in this years Pro Bowl ffs. Him and Cam would make a combo so prolific, unlike any combo ever in the NFL. HOF'er to HOF'er building their HOF resumes together.

Youre a crazy man, take a guy who admitted he barely knew how to run routes in college and shovel away a couple years of draft picks to get him.

Also he isnt the most talented player in the draft, not even close. 

Didnt the falcons try this strategy and how did that work out for them? How did they do last year?

I like how you mention he could have dominated the Pro Bowl.....he couldnt even dominate FSU or SCAR when he played them. He dropped balls in key situations and even threw a pick in the SCAR game lol. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com