102 replies to this topic

#11 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationOn a Sales Call
HUDDLER

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

Become a bioinformatics developer and I'll give you a job tomorrow.

Does any of that poo you just mentioned need to be sold?

#12 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

• LocationAtlanta,GA
Moderators

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

Sounds you are in a great position if they'll put you right into a job coding. I struggled a LOT finding my first job but since then it's been smooth sailing.

Make a habit out of going to dice.com every once in a while to check out what the job market is looking like. It also helps when considering what technologies you should learn(ex. my boss wanted me to look into various nosql dbs and I narrowed it down to mongodb and cassandra. Either would work equally as well but mongodb has about twice the job listings on dice...I think you can guess which one I recommended :) ).

Ya I'm hoping once my degree is finished that will happen. Already starting to get to know the programmers and stuff so I think as long as I work hard and people like my work; I think moving to a position in the programming dept shouldn't be as hard as if I was a new hire.

#13 Paintballr

Paintballr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

Was thinking of going back to school myself...

I've worked since I've been 16, mostly retail/food. Went to CPCC for a year and a half just going through the transfer program thinknng it was the thing to do.

Fast forward now, I'm 25, been a Store Manager for Starbucks for two years now. I was a Sales Supervisor for 3 years before that at Best Buy, and before that was a Assistant Manager for 2 years at Starbucks. My question is, is it worth the time and effort to go back and get a degree? I already for 50 hours a week easily, and during holidays 60+. They offer "tuition support" but need to maintain my job etc. I feel like I'm stuck in the same career path and can't change due to lack of degree or skills in other jobs. Anyone with more experience or situation like mine would be awesome.

#14 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• LocationNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

I have 11 years on you and can easily say not going to college and getting a degree is one of my biggest regrets.

They just open so many doors.

#15 The Huddler

The Huddler

#BringHardyBack

• Location@TheHuddler2
SUPPORTER

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:46 AM

Become a nurse practitioner like I will be. A BS isn't enough for this stud. Sent from my XT1055 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#16 Paintballr

Paintballr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:33 AM

I have 11 years on you and can easily say not going to college and getting a degree is one of my biggest regrets.

They just open so many doors.

Have you ran into a situation where you are applying for a job you want or pormotion potential and you felt because of the lack of a degree kept you from it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#17 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• LocationNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

Become a nurse practitioner like I will be. A BS isn't enough for this stud. Sent from my XT1055 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

My wife was a RN with a full ride to Wake for the PA program and came up one semester (clinicals) short due to a complicated pregnancy.

#18 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• LocationNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

Have you ran into a situation where you are applying for a job you want or pormotion potential and you felt because of the lack of a degree kept you from it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Without a doubt, on more than one occasion.

#19 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

• LocationAtlanta,GA
Moderators

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

My wife has been an RN for 10 years now. If you can do a job like that then more power to you. It's an easy field to get into if you have the degree and the money is really good.

My wife makes double my hourly rate. I work 5 days a week and she works the weekends. She makes $20000 more than I do a year. It's not an easy job at all but if you want to make good money in any field you have to bust your ass and this is one of those fields that if you do, you can go far salary wise.

#20 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• LocationNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

If you want to make a ton of money in nursing get your BSN and then become a CRNA, Nurse Anesthetist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users