Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Legend of Duke's Kyrie Irving

42 posts in this topic

Posted

I think he is a bit overrated as well. knockdown shooter and good ball handling.

My main questions for him is if he can create easy shots for his teammates?

and bigger issue at this point is, Can he stay healthy? 

He could turn out to be very good, he has shown it and could be great. He has to stay healthy to be able to do that. Could easily see him as a CP3 type of player. 

Posted

The guy getting bashed by Batman in this thread has 22pt 8reb 7ast at the end of the 3rd quarter tonight.... he sucks right?

Sent from my SGH-T399 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

He couldn't even beat the shitty NYK last night. Really impressive.

Posted

He couldn't even beat the shitty NYK last night. Really impressive.

I'm looking for highlights of the game but ESPN doesn't have a listing for Kylie Irving vs N.Y. Knicks box score.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'd take Kyrie. Nothing against Kemba. Like others have said, he's just a notch below. Kyrie just inside the top ten. Probably around 7th or 8th. Kemba just outside. 

2 people like this

Posted

Kyrie is Melo 2.0, a one man show.

He'll light it up every all star game. But, does crap to make the players around him better.

Kemba is not up to Kyrie's level in abilities but is a better team player.

Posted

Kyrie is Melo 2.0, a one man show.

He'll light it up every all star game. But, does crap to make the players around him better.

Kemba is not up to Kyrie's level in abilities but is a better team player.

I'll take Kyrie on my team any day

Posted

At the same token look at Lebron. Makes everyone better but had to team up with 2 other all stars (one being a superstar) to win it all. 

Posted

I dont think I would even come close to comparing Irving to Bron. (In your situation/theory)

Bron took the Cavs to playoffs and to a finals with very little talent around him. 

Irving has a decent core there and they are barely making if they make the playoffs. (Way more talent in Cleveland then when Bron was there)

Posted

Lebron is arguably the most talented player ever so i mean.... kinda cancels out.

1 person likes this

Posted

Irving is a good player but he's delicate - physcially and mentally. 

Posted

He's a very talented player no doubt, but his lack of development is disturbing- he is exactly the same player now in his 3rd year that he was as a 19 year old rookie.  He is still young so he certainly still has the potential to get better, but its not a good sign.

In a lot of ways he reminds me of Ricky Rubio (though obviously their games are completely different).  Both guys came into the league showing such a high skill level (Kyrie's shooting, Rubio's passing and defense) that people got carried away thinking how good they were gonna be 5 years down the road. 

But potential is far from a guarantee, and the NBA is filled with talented guys who seemed to have so much potential at one point.  Sometimes its a mental thing, sometimes its just playing for a bad organization.

Posted

Kyrie has an amazing offense. I think everyone agrees on that.

And duke fans, please stop whining. This debate has nothing to do with college basketball at all. This is about who is a better NBA player and who is/isn't a superstar. When/if either of these players win a ring, they'll be labelled by the name and logo of their NBA teams, not their college's.

Now for my view:

I don't think either is a superstar.

Both very good players.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Both have similar situation with the talent they've played with since joining the league.

A superstar is a player who has the ability to single- handedly win the game for his team. A player who can dominate in every second of the game on offense AND defense.

Can both Kemba and Kyrie go off and score a lot and put up great stats and look good on tv? Hell yes they can. But neither has showed that domination that guys like lebron, Kobe, Carmelo, kd, wade (a few years ago), young mcgrady and roy, most recently have shown. These guys always kept their teams in the game. If they were on the court, the game could be won. When I watch the cavs or bcats, I don't see that. There are games that I would strike up an L on both schedules. It just seems like the bloated stats of both players some nights is the result of underperforming teammates. It's about overall talent and consistency. Both have talent but neither can dominate night in and night out.

I think this generation uses the term "superstar" waaaaaaay to much. For these 2, talented would be a better label IMO.

1 person likes this