Photo
- - - - -

Things Gettleman has said in the past and what we can learn from them...

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#31 XClown1986

XClown1986

I'm Rick Grimes, Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

c'mon, you don't think that we would have picked up an LT or WR or a DB if we had the money?

and if we let hardy walk, DE isn't a need. it's weaker, but not nearly the need that exists at WR, DB, and LT where we really have none.

and again, by tagging him he handicapped our ability to address multiple positions and ensured that we would have major issues filling those needs.

and also again, the DL would still be dominant without hardy and the front seven would remain elite. the amount of improvement that star and short should make and the growth of klein will make it easy for whoever fills in for hardy.

I can only speculate as to what we would have done. I don't see how we would have taken on the contracts some of those guys got though. Would I have liked to grab a WR and a LT? You bet. But WOW at some of the contracts these guys got.

If we lose Hardy, our front 7 goes from elite to above average at best. What Hardy does for this team is being slighted a bit here. 15 sacks and 30+ pressures with the ability to shut down the run doesn't just fall out of the sky every day. Having both Hardy and Johnson makes our corners go from embarrassing to average and our safeties from mediocre to solid. We lose Hardy, Johnson gets double-teamed every play and that neutralizes most of our pass rush. When the pass rush is neutralized, the corners are exposed. We barely have corners soooo.... game over.

#32 ed bell

ed bell

Ruthless Riverboat Ron

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

We also retained the ability to trade him.... Again, didn't let him go for free. And the final roster and cap situation isn't nearly set in stone. That 13 mil wouldn't have made everything come up roses, and Hardy would be gone.

#33 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,938 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:08 PM

I can only speculate as to what we would have done. I don't see how we would have taken on the contracts some of those guys got though. Would I have liked to grab a WR and a LT? You bet. But WOW at some of the contracts these guys got.

If we lose Hardy, our front 7 goes from elite to above average at best. What Hardy does for this team is being slighted a bit here. 15 sacks and 30+ pressures with the ability to shut down the run doesn't just fall out of the sky every day. Having both Hardy and Johnson makes our corners go from embarrassing to average and our safeties from mediocre to solid. We lose Hardy, Johnson gets double-teamed every play and neutralizes most of our pass rush. When the pass rush is neutralized, the corners are exposed. We barely have corners soooo.... game over.

i think you are slighting the rest of the front line. calling them average without hardy? lol.

hardy is great. i just don't think keeping him was worth crippling our ability to get solid players at LT, WR, and in the secondary.

if by tagging him we still had at least $10mil of cap space to spend, it wouldn't have been so bad. tagging him and leaving us with just a couple million bucks is pretty ridiculous.

and yes, we could probably get by with some of the WRs available now and in the draft, but LT is kind of important. if there is one position you really should be overpaying a little bit on, it's probably that. but we can't because we tagged hardy.

#34 TheNewStandard

TheNewStandard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

hes overpaying the DE position.

franchising hardy handicapped us. the decision to tag him took away opportunity to not just improve in several areas, but fill holes with less than starter level ability. we have no money to fill holes because we tagged hardy. sure, there's a lot of time left, but what's going to be available at that point? a legit starting LT? lol

No. Drafting crappy WR, CB and safeties is what handicapped us. Gettleman just found a way to cover it up until we can get it sorted out. He'll of a job if you ask me.

#35 XClown1986

XClown1986

I'm Rick Grimes, Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

i think you are slighting the rest of the front line. calling them average without hardy? lol.

hardy is great. i just don't think keeping him was worth crippling our ability to get solid players at LT, WR, and in the secondary.

if by tagging him we still had at least $10mil of cap space to spend, it wouldn't have been so bad. tagging him and leaving us with just a couple million bucks is pretty ridiculous.

and yes, we could probably get by with some of the WRs available now and in the draft, but LT is kind of important. if there is one position you really should be overpaying a little bit on, it's probably that. but we can't because we tagged hardy.

I'm not slighting the rest of the line at all. I'm slighting our backup DEs. None of them have done anything to show they can start. Therefore, the offense schemes us differently. They can ignore our RDE because they know Star, KK, and Johnson are the real issues. Handling 3 is doable, handling 4? Well.... we saw how most teams did against us last year. And with another year of continuity and growth, the sky is the limit for this group of guys.

His number is too big as it stands right now, but the end game likely isn't to keep it that way. The deal couldn't be reached in time so they did what they had to do and tagged their guy. They will work to get a long term deal and get his cap number down. Have we lost out on talent because of it? Perhaps. Was there a guy on the market that was more valuable than Hardy? I'd say no. Therefore, I can't fault Gettleman for making the decision he did.

Of course we have holes, but we are just getting started. No need to jump off the ledge just yet.

#36 intangiblejohnny

intangiblejohnny

The Josh McRoberts of Posting

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationInterwebz

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

At this point I don't think there is anything Gettleman can do to piss some of you guys off.

#37 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:03 PM

At this point I don't think there is anything Gettleman can do to piss some of you guys off.

Ya, because you know, it is much better to be pissed than to wait and see how this all turns out.

When I was a child...So glad those days are behind me.

I mean...this is fuging football. It is entertainment. Why get pissed? I have a life, family, hobby's, and my chores. Getting pissed over football? Not high on my list.

Some of you take this stuff way to serially.

#38 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,751 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:06 PM

I love chores...

#39 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:10 PM

Of course we have holes, but we are just getting started. No need to jump off the ledge just yet.

But, but, but...Gettlemen sucks. We have no money. Hardy...Smitty...Gross. That ledge looks good.

LOL

#40 intangiblejohnny

intangiblejohnny

The Josh McRoberts of Posting

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationInterwebz

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:10 PM

Ya, because you know, it is much better to be pissed than to wait and see how this all turns out.

I mean...this is fuging football. It is entertainment. Why get pissed? I have a life, family, hobby's, and my chores. Getting pissed over football? Not high on my list.

Yeah, imagine a football fan getting pissed over football. So childish!!! It reminds of being at BOA and losing a close game and then seeing all the people around me giggle and shrug their shoulders saying "it's only football"

Oh wait...that never happens.

I'm glad you're so superior to emotional football fans, though.

#41 XClown1986

XClown1986

I'm Rick Grimes, Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

And now to derail this thread entirely... (this line reminded me of this)

#42 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

I love chores...

And errands. I have a Mustang. I love driving with the top down, and not using the breaks. Breaks are for amateurs. Running errands is the highlight of my day. You need errands run? I'm your man. Unless it rains.

#43 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

And now to derail this thread entirely... (this line reminded me of this)

I stole it from Gore. I just changed the spelling to suit my own needs.

#44 shelbypanther

shelbypanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

No, if he swallowed a nice tall glass of lye it wouldn't hurt matters.  That way we wouldn't have to put up with the smugness and that soprano-wanna-be accent and attitude.

He doesn't want to flounder around for two seasons after having a good one as the op listed.  No, that part is true, at this rate, we'll be floundering around for at least four seasons at the minimum, until he gets shitcanned.

#45 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 7,729 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:20 PM

do you have to do that by crippling the team? because that's exactly what we are doing. is it so important that it has to take up 20% of your cap...and that's just two players? is it worth using 50% of your defensive cap on two players?

pass rush is important, but not that important.

i don't care how elite your pass rush is, they don't catch balls and they don't protect the QBs blind side. we can't afford to pay FAs to even fill out our depleted roster because we tagged hardy. and yes, that is gettleman's fault. he had a choice, tag hardy or fill out the roster and he chose to be without WRs, starting DBs, and an LT all so we could have that elite pass rush. i know he'll get someone eventually to come in and there's the draft, but will he focus in on those three areas in the draft or is he stuck on getting the best player regardless of position?

that remains to be seen.

What we are seeing here is that gettleman has decided to build through the draft to support our core on defense (hardy,Luke, star and kk) and our core on offense (cam,Olsen, kalil). He's cutting the fat, this is what ripping the bandaid off is. Instead of immediate pleasure that might not be as sustainable he has gone for short term ill effects but long term sustainability.

The only way that plan works is if he hits on picks and finds hidden gems and trimming the fat to get our cap in order. Everyone here knows he has a certain knack for that but we won't know until a couple years down the road if that was the right choice.

I've said in another thread, our window hasn't opened yet, cam still hasn't hit his prime. poo this core of our team hasn't hit their prime yet. We were built on an old foundation, old players, old contracts. Gettleman has decided to bulldoze that foundation and make cam and keek the pillars to our success.

We don't know what the future will bring, we don't know what our oline or wr or secondary are gonna be. But gettleman is banking his legacy and job on hardy, cam and luke as the pillars of that foundation. This is essentially a rebuild. It's not fun to watch after going 12-4. In fact it's downright depressing but I hope to god he pulls it off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.