tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,108 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

"Under The Knife" by Dr. Dave Siebert MD:

http://bleacherrepor...ury-and-surgery

However, recurrent low-grade sprains may similarly necessitate going under the knife—as it appears Newton now knows.

The Panthers likely waited to see if Newton's most recent injuries—one from last December and soreness that, according to another report from Jones, lingered through late January's Pro Bowl—would adequately heal without surgery. Regrettably, it seems his progress stalled out, suggesting resting his ankle reached a point of diminishing returns.

Whereas a once-sprained ligament will usually heal and tighten back up without issue, multiple injuries can lead to a chronically weak ligament due to the accumulation of damage and scar tissue from each healing process.

Ligament tightening and repair surgery directly addresses the issue. According to Dr. Bob Baravarian—a foot and ankle surgeon at Providence Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica, Calif.—during a repair, a surgeon can physically reinforce the loose rubber band, so to speak.

"The stretched ligament may be slightly trimmed, but the main part of a primary ankle ligament repair is called a 'pants over vest' tightening of the ligament," Dr. Baravarian explained. "In this repair technique, the ligament is cut at the torn and stretched region and is pulled on top of the adjacent piece. Then, they are tied together to make a double thick repair site, thus the term 'pants over vest.'"

In other words, in the above method, a surgeon fully cuts the ligament at the weakened site and overlaps the two ends, resulting in both shorter and stronger tissue—once rehab is complete, that is.

Fortunately, there is not yet reason to expect anything less than a full recovery. Surgical ligament repairs carry good prognoses if doctors catch the issue early.

Furthermore, Newton will work with some of the best physical therapists out there, and the Panthers will surely take no risks with their franchise player.

While he may miss a significant portion of preseason workouts, in this case, the long-term gain far outweighs the short-term loss.

#2 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,393 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:16 PM

TLDR version: he's gonna die

#3 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 5,108 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

:startle:

#4 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

Medical advancements always trip me out.

I mean what surgeon sat there looking at a ligament like, hey what if we tied this poo together?!

#5 sml1950

sml1950

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

No problem...Superman can fly

#6 Jangler

Jangler

that funky feeling to get you through

• HUDDLER
  • 47,821 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

9qbgns.jpg

#7 SuperLego5

SuperLego5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

Medical advancements always trip me out.

I mean what surgeon sat there looking at a ligament like, hey what if we tied this poo together?!

You probably don't want to know the answer to that.

#8 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 5,108 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

You probably don't want to know the answer to that.

Can you imagine the poo they tied together when they still had no idea what they were doing?

Hell, back in the 19th Century "bleeding" you was an appropriate method to remove the "bad humours" from your body.

#9 SuperLego5

SuperLego5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

Can you imagine the poo they tied together when they still had no idea what they were doing?

Hell, back in the 19th Century "bleeding" you was an appropriate method to remove the "bad humours" from your body.

If you were rich they used leeches, if you were poor they just cut you and left you.

#10 Strawman

Strawman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationKissimmee FL

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

There are quite a few people I'd like to give a "Glasgow grin".

#11 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,393 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

9qbgns.jpg

I love when they break character lmao

#12 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

No problem...Superman can fly

Superman really needs OTAs to develop some Chemistry with young WRs.  This news is not just about Cam.

#13 8 0 5

8 0 5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

Senior slump!!!

#14 IGSaint

IGSaint

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:03 PM

Superman really needs OTAs to develop some Chemistry with young WRs.  This news is not just about Cam.

Meh, Cam did just fine without OTA his first season as a rookie.(400yard first game anyone?) And it's not like he will be totally off the field. He will probably be there doing light workouts by the time OTA's are here. 

#15 WilmyWood

WilmyWood

• ALL-PRO
  • 365 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

Man I wish I could have had that surgery.  I played a lot of basketball growing up and sprained my ankles, especially my left ankle, more times than I can count.  The more I did it, the easier it happened. To this day, my left ankle has limited movement and the simple act of jogging irritates it.  Good for him for knocking it out early.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com