Carolina Huddle

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeremy Igo

Gettleman: Oher can be answer at left tackle

"Michael is a former first-round pick who got his baptism with John Matsko," Gettleman said. "Michael came out of the blocks and played solid. John left after two years, and Andy Moeller was his next position coach, and John had trained Andy. MIchael continued to improve, and in 2012 they won the Super Bowl with him at left tackle. In 2013 they brought in a new O-line coach, and the fit just wasn't good. Then he went to Tennessee and had an injury-plagued year.

"We did our homework on Michael, and we feel very strongly that he can be an answer for us. He'll be inserted at left tackle, and we'll go from there. The other four guys really finished the season strong – (left guard Andrew) Norwell and (center) Ryan (Kalil) and (right guard) Trai (Turner) and (right tackle)

Mike Remmersicon-article-link.gif – and we feel like Michael gives us a chance to really solidify that group."

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-keeping-key-personnel/9bc5a390-f8d4-42df-bcd6-4543c661c80d

I sure hope he's right. But I'd bet Gettlemen will have a backup plan this time.

Well... there was a lot of speculation about that...

I'm hoping Dave also sees the need to draft someone to eventually take over that spot.  Oher is not a spring chicken and has that injury potential...

I sure hope he's right. But I'd bet Gettlemen will have a backup plan this time.

the backup plan will be to draft a guy in the 4th or 5th round

Quite possible.

Well that settles it. 

Matsko must really be a big believer in him. 

Could end up being a real bargain. 

I really like our GM, but if I'm being honest, we've all seen how our possible answers at OL have panned out

Solidifying the group is Gettletalk for until the OT we draft is ready to take over

The draft is certainly the preferred option, maybe the only option this year. What round is anyone's guess as it depends on the value. At least he will go after some UDFA's, right?

no no no nope...he has never been good at LT ever he as decent at RT. this is not how you protect your QB