Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeremy Igo

Gettleman on the Funchess Pick

I have always thought that drafting and acquiring smart players via FA is one of the reasons why Bill Belichick and the Pats have been successful for such an extended period.  Football IQ and instincts should not be understated. 

Gettleman and Rivera was pretty much saying the same thing in the last interview.  They make every prospect go to the board and explain a play they learned earlier.  Wanting to see their retention and if they understood what was going on.  Think every player they drafted went into detail of the play and not just their role. 

I have always thought that drafting and acquiring smart players via FA is one of the reasons why Bill Belichick and the Pats have been successful for such an extended period.  Football IQ and instincts should not be understated. 

This, and picking guys that fit into your system and what you do, covet.

Of course, it helps when the organization knows what they're doing and looking for.

Obviously, the Pats have proven this. While the Panthers and DG, have had a good start the past few drafts.

Gettleman and Rivera was pretty much saying the same thing in the last interview.  They make every prospect go to the board and explain a play they learned earlier.  Wanting to see their retention and if they understood what was going on.  Think every player they drafted went into detail of the play and not just their role. 

Those type of players, will see mismatches or breakdowns in the defense, presumably helping the offense avoid potential calamities, or making big plays.

Funchess compares to Jeffery, a lot.

Funchess has an inch on him (6'4 to 6'3) and 16 pounds (232 to 216) but they are very similar athletic players. Same broad jump, andf Funchess' vert is two inches higher.

Both are big  bodied WRs that aren't burners, but can be deep threats, they outsize DBs and know how to fight their way open and use their size and long arms to snag balls others can't. They both make WOW catches and have amazing body. Both can also pick up YAC and  even take screens and slants and pick up chunk yards.

The fact that he's football smart is wonderful. I can imagine Proehl is just as eager to get a chance to mold this kid as he was with Benji last year. He already runs solid routes and uses his hands to fight off DBs really well. Can't wait to see what this kid can do.

That being said--don't be surprised if we watch the FA to see if we can nab a playmaker/gadget type WR, especially during TC cuts.

Funchess has an inch on him (6'4 to 6'3) and 16 pounds (232 to 216) but they are very similar athletic players. Same broad jump, andf Funchess' vert is two inches higher.

Both are big  bodied WRs that aren't burners, but can be deep threats, they outsize DBs and know how to fight their way open and use their size and long arms to snag balls others can't. They both make WOW catches and have amazing body. Both can also pick up YAC and  even take screens and slants and pick up chunk yards.

The fact that he's football smart is wonderful. I can imagine Proehl is just as eager to get a chance to mold this kid as he was with Benji last year. He already runs solid routes and uses his hands to fight off DBs really well. Can't wait to see what this kid can do.

That being said--don't be surprised if we watch the FA to see if we can nab a playmaker/gadget type WR, especially during TC cuts.

Not sure if you're aware, but the Panthers apparently drafted a smaller burner type receiver, special teams guy from the Gamecocks (he's actually an UDFA) they signed).

There's a post on it here somewhere. Nonetheless, I agree they will look for others as well.

I haven't been able to see any of the interviews yet.  Whenever I go to listen, the darned things don't play.  One time I opened another window and went to something else, and the video just popped up after 6 minutes and started playing.  I don't know if it's a software issue, or the fact that I am using Vista. I don't think that should matter, as I have updated the flash player, etc. Youtube vids play without much of a problem, maybe I will go see if I can find them there.

I guess it's about time to pull out the Asus with Win 8.1 on it that my mother gave me. 

I know what you mean, and how you feel. :thumbsu:

However, players and drafts aren't always simple math,. black and white and linear things.

Sometimes the impression a player makes on the team, and how they feel they will said player will fit into their scheme's (along with some football and athletically) can be equally as important.

This is why every draft year, there's tons of formerly highly regarded players who disappoint, and other 'lightly regarded' players who are considered steals.

Unfortunately/despite what they want us to believe (he media), it's not a predictable science. Happens every year.

NFL Brass, who get judged on this stuff much more severely than the normally wrong media, can attest to this.

You understand and yes when humans are involved its not black and white simple math.

Dave and crew deserve respect, which I'm giving plenty of to go along with this super suspect draft.

I have always thought that drafting and acquiring smart players via FA is one of the reasons why Bill Belichick and the Pats have been successful for such an extended period. Football IQ and instincts should not be understated.

Yes bill does in fact value football IQ, it can easy be seen as one of reason for success.

Its a different game now, I've heard more than a few older players talk about the "classroom/studying" side of nfl is currently insane. The newest CBA limits 2-a days, well truly it limits football strange as it seems. If you're at BOA for 8 hours and get only "practice" in pads for 90 mins plus lift for 90 mins. That leaves around 4-/+ hours in doing study hall stufff. Even some days its 7 hours full classroom.

So in the current nfl, it feels much like school all over again.

Edit: dave is a former teacher too.

thats my comparison for him as well.

You understand and yes when humans are involved its not black and white simple math.

I prefer my math in pastels and earth tones.

What strikes me funny reading how much they liked his football knowledge is, if I recall correctly, Josh Norris on Rotoworld said he didn't think he was very "football smart" :lol:

people make up crap all the time, they go by impression  when they don't know.This just means  this Norris guy  didn't pay attention to Funchess until he had to make a comment.

Funchess knows all three receiver positions.

Rare for any Rookie receiver that hasn't even been to a Camp yet.

The kid will make an impact.

How much of an impact, is yet to be seen...but I don't know how you can't be excited about this kid.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Slapdad

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • https://berniesanders.com/issues/ Almost two-thirds of all student debt  — nearly $929 billion as of 2019 — in the U.S. is held by women. One-third of Latino borrowers do not complete their degrees, compared to only one-fourth of white borrowers. 35 percent of Latino student loan borrowers who started college in 2003-2004 defaulted on their loans, compared to only 20 percent of white borrowers. Black students take out loans at a higher rate to pay for school, graduate with more student debt than white counterparts and, because of income disparities, take longer to pay it off while paying more interest. This proposal would cut the racial wealth gap for young Americans by more than half– from 12:1 to 5:1. Bernie believes our country is morally bound to close the racial wealth divide. In order to do that we are going to cancel all student debt. Seventy-three percent of the benefits of cancelling all student debt will go to the bottom 80 percent of Americans, who are making less than $127,000 a year. President Trump’s tax cuts for the wealthy and big corporations cost more than $2 trillion, 83 percent of which will end up going to the top 1 percent. Bernie believes that money would be better spent on freeing millions of hardworking people from the burden of student debt,  boosting the economy by $1 trillion over the next ten years, and creating up to 1.5 million new jobs every year. By canceling student debt, we will save the average student loan borrower around $3,000 a year in student loan payments. That money will be freed up to spend on everything from housing to starting a business.    
    • And were probably Redskins fans before the Panthers because the NFL and their broadcasting partners decided that's who they'd forcefeed to NC.