Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thebigcat

Confederate Flag.... Hate or Heritage?

It means something different to different people.

To me it is heritage, but I also understand that it means something completely different to the black community.  And with very good reason.  It has been adopted as a symbol for hate groups.  TheKKK used that flag whike doing terrible things to the black community.

Also the confederacy is joined at the hip with slavery.

But to me, I have a deep rooted family history embedded in the south dating far before the Civil War.  The south is important to me, and the confederate flag to me personally is a symbol of the south.

So I guess what I am trying to say is both.  It means something different to different people.  Unfortunately some think of it as a symbol of their race's supremacy, some view it as a symbol of fear, hate, slavery, and murder.  I see it and just think of the south and my family's history

I have a few opinions on this matter. 

Firstly, the flag you see tattooed on people and flying in the back of people's trucks are not the confederate flag. It's the flag that represented the Virginian army led by General Lee. 

General Lee wasn't fighting for slavery. 

Most of these idiots flying that flag don't know that. With that being said, there is no reason one should be flying at a government building. 

I am *supposedly* related to General Lee, but I would never fly that flag considering so many find it offensive. 

I'm proud of my heritage, but I don't believe the "south will rise again." I also don't have that natural rebel attitude. People should move on. 

I also kinda wish hate groups were considered contributers to domestic terrorism such as the act committed by that sick fug. He learned that hate from some where. 

I am a Civil War buff and I have a replica of a Confederate battle flag (along with other Civil War stuff) that was carried by the 26th North Carolina infantry.   Some of my ancestors fought in that unit.  And at least one fought for the other side although I haven't been able to track down which unit yet as apparently there was a big family divide and he chose to move to the West Coast after the war was over. 

I don't see the point in keeping it on a government flag though.  And I sure wouldn't put it on my car.   

My uncle had it as a sticker decal of it on the back window of his truck.  Someone on the highway pulled up next to him and flashed a gun at him.

He scraped it off the next day lol

To me it is heritage, but I also understand that it means something completely different to the black community.  And with very good reason.  It has been adopted as a symbol for hate groups.  TheKKK used that flag whike doing terrible things to the black community.

But to me, I have a deep rooted family history embedded in the south dating far before the Civil War.  The south is important to me, and the confederate flag to me personally is a symbol of the south.

So I guess what I am trying to say is both.  It means something different to different people.  Unfortunately some think of it as a symbol of their race's supremacy, some view it as a symbol of fear, hate, slavery, and murder.  I see it and just think of the south and my family's history

Pretty much exactly this. 

I'm proud of my heritage. But most don't truly know what it represents. It means different things to different people. It sucks people use it as a symbol of hatred. 

Its a heritage of hate

Too much sense being made in this thread. I thought this was the tinderbox. Guess I'll have to go back to Facebook.

Burn it.

It's a sorry symbol of a bygone era that has no place in modern American society. And apologies to those General Lee fans who won't get to fly a flag in his tribute. But as gentlemanly as he was, and respected a strategic mastermind he is, it's no excuse. You can respect the hell out of Rommel and his masterful campaign with the Deutsche Afrika Korps, but that's no justification for flying a Swastika flag on the back of your truck.

I don't care if it's a symbol for the South. It's a symbol of systematic oppression and racism. If you care so much about it, good! All the more reason. Sacrifice it anyway as a conciliatory gesture that you're willing to give up something that's meaningful to you because you understand that it means something entirely different to another community that has to live under it every day.

Don't cling to an old symbol out of stubbornness. Burn that fugger and let's step into the 21st century together.

So....should it fly over govt buildings?

So....should it fly over govt buildings?

No.  1000% no.  Government is for everyone in the state.  It is a symbol of hate to many people.  There is no excuse for it to be on a government building 

The swastika meant different things, positive ones, to the Jains, Buddhists, and Hindus. You don't see it flying on federal buildings in Germany or revered in parts of Germany the same way the Confederate flag is revered in the South. It's time for the Confederate flag to go.