• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cookinwithgas

WTF have we become

3 minutes ago, Fryfan said:

Over the past week, media reports have also revealed U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers doing the same along other parts of the Texas border, from El Paso to Brownsville. Officers stand in the middle of the international bridges crossing the Rio Grande, turning away asylum-seekers.

That's fugging awful and I imagine illegal. If it's not, it should be. I wholeheartedly disagree with this. Preventing them from even claiming asylum is not American. We have a process. Let them go through the process.

Yeah that policy has to end. We need more resources for asylum seekers. I understand this will be abused as a way to circumnavigate normal immigration. But in the end, the world is a poo hole and if people want to come here and work for that better life because their home country is awful, then let em. I'd say immediately end this practice of stopping them (prosecute those who prevent them), go back to Catch and Release until the processing can be streamlined to 20 days. Then go back to arresting the crime of illegal entry. Yes asylum seekers will shoot through the roof. OK. Let's process them. Find out who is trying to game the system and who is legit running from hell. Sure some cheaters will slip through the cracks but so what? It will be a better system I think.

4 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

I'm not sure I follow on your first point. You're saying that because we have told asylum seekers that the Inn is full that, then, leaves them with no alternative but to commit the crime? If that's what you're saying then I could see that. Because they obviously can't go back to the home country because of why they left. So what're they left to do? Agreed. Although, it should be noted, I have no idea what Mexico's asylum process is like and if I were them I would try that as well. But the US is obviously the better try.

As for the 60%, that really surprises me. That's many more people than I expected to show up to court. Regardless, what do you think a solution to all of this is? I floated my thoughts. It's not the best but it's the best I can think of to solve this and still have a "secure" border.

Yeah its a physical change that started up last month.  Agents blocking entry at the exact line - routinely telling central americans to turn around and try again tomorrow.

We need to be able to process credible fear claims and those fleeing countries in which the government can not protect the kids from the murder and threat of murder from gangs ABSOLUTELY have a credible fear claim.  Asylum is not supposed to be forever - we need to take in these people and work as an international community so one day they can return home to a more stable region.

As far as illegal immigration outside of this central american gang violence one?  Its way down from its height.  We need a easier path to citizenship and DACA and DAPA made law now but its illegal immigration is not a threat to america in the least bit.

The reason this backfired on Trump is because the assumption was once they learned they were put in jail and their kids dention centers they would stop entering to seek asylum.

But you have families that CANT return home as the kids are under threat of murder if they dont join the gangs.   You have them being turned away from normal asylum seeking and sitting homeless, often broke in mexico in the hot summer sun.  So at a certain point yes you will enter illegally and get shelter and food and have your kids removed because its the best of three shitty choices as a parent trying to protect their families.

And with Mexico some do seek asylum there but many central americans fear the gang reach and threat of child smuggling by mexican gangs is still too real and its not a worthy option.

You as a parent left your home country because your child very well might be killed for not joining a gang

You are turned away from the USA and are without a home in mexico and exposed the the possibility of child traffickers.

Do you enter illegally and suffer separation? I think every parent would say yes.  The fact we are making them have to suffer separation is our countries giant failure.

30 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

\

2. People that are caught illegally entering are arrested for the crime and processed to criminal court to be deported (which takes forever). They will be separated as children are not allowed to be in detention for 20 days, according to some Federal ruling.

This is the international convention wording:Article 31 of the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees:
Non-penalization, Detention and Protection

1. The Contracting States shall not impose penalties, on
account of their illegal entry or presence, on refugees
who, coming directly from a territory where their life or
freedom was threatened in the sense of Article 1, enter or
are present in their territory without authorization,
provided they present themselves without delay to the
authorities and show good cause for their illegal entry or
presence.

2. The Contracting States shall not apply to the
movements of such refugees restrictions other than those
which are necessary and such restrictions shall only be
applied until their status in the country is regularized or
they obtain admission into another country. The
Contracting States shall allow such refugees a reasonable
period and all the necessary facilities to obtain admission
into another country.

Here is a description of how our process was supposed to work until a couple of months ago:

If you have entered the United States without permission, or stayed beyond the expiration date of a visa or other permitted stay, then you are considered an "undocumented" (or in common language, "illegal") immigrant. Applying for asylum may be an option for you, if you fear returning to your home country and do not have residency rights in any other country.

You would need to either submit an application on your own (an "affirmative" application), within certain time limits, or if you are caught by the immigration authorities, apply for asylum during your immigration court hearing. The fact that you are in the U.S. illegally is no bar to applying for asylum -- though it may cause you to be picked up by the immigration authorities, which would mean you'd have to skip the first, affirmative application step, such that the first hearing on your claim would be in immigration court (also called the "Executive Office for Immigration Review" or "EOIR").

Trump leaving stage after his "we have to take the children" speech:

33a38830-17ed-4a3c-bbbf-ec6b90de4103.jpg

13 minutes ago, Happy Panther said:

This is the international convention wording:Article 31 of the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees:
Non-penalization, Detention and Protection

Jesus. That's black and white. So basically, we need to:

1. End current policy criminally prosecuting illegally entry immediately AND the refusal of Asylum Seekers.

2. Major Immigration Reform including madating all hearings are within 20 days and funding what's required to make that happen. Additionally, overhauling the Asylum Program and passing the orginal proposal from Trump about the DACA program (I think it was a path to citizenship for 2 million people or something).

3. Once 2 is complete, reinstate criminally prosecuting those caught illegally entering the US. I don't care one whit about the wall. There already is a wall. If they want to spend more money on the wall, I'm fine. If that's what it takes to get the above so each side can point to a political win, so be it.

Is that about right? That seems reasonable, rational and more effective.

4 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

Jesus. That's black and white. So basically, we need to:

1. End current policy criminally prosecuting illegally entry immediately AND the refusal of Asylum Seekers.

2. Major Immigration Reform including madating all hearings are within 20 days and funding what's required to make that happen. Additionally, overhauling the Asylum Program and passing the orginal proposal from Trump about the DACA program (I think it was a path to citizenship for 2 million people or something).

3. Once 2 is complete, reinstate criminally prosecuting those caught illegally entering the US. I don't care one whit about the wall. There already is a wall. If they want to spend more money on the wall, I'm fine. If that's what it takes to get the above so each side can point to a political win, so be it.

Is that about right? That seems reasonable, rational and more effective.

unless you are starting off the conversation with 25 billion for Trump's wall? I know one guy who wouldn't view that as reasonable, rational, and more effective

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

unless you are starting off the conversation with 25 billion for Trump's wall? I know one guy who wouldn't view that as reasonable, rational, and more effective

If that's what it took to get the other things then I'm ok with it. I'm aware others will disagree...about any and all of it.

6 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

If that's what it took to get the other things then I'm ok with it. I'm aware others will disagree...about any and all of it.

democrats made an offer to get trump the $25 million in exchange for DACA a few months back.

Just now, Fryfan said:

democrats made an offer to get trump the $25 million in exchange for DACA a few months back.

And didn't last year, when the government shut down for a weekend, didn't Trump offer 2 million DACA people a path to citizenship? Either way, it seems both sides have always been eager to manipulate everything to get their way. It's nothing new and no one is surprised by it. But mostly, I'm looking for a solution that seems reasonable to me so I can judge what either side, the media, Twitter, whomever put forward. Basically, I'm trying to form an opinion on what I think the issues are (which you guys helped with) and what I think the possible solutions could be (which you guys also helped with). I don't care about the wall. It essentially equates to money and something political he can point to at this point. It might do something to stop illegal entry (which isn't close to our biggest problem but whatever) but I don't care if he gets his wall if it means the rest of the solution is enacted.

Wow. Never seen language like this from a sitting Rep before.

Damn.

Human beings do not infest. Insects infest.

Just using the term is

Racist as fug. All day. All night.

4 minutes ago, cookinwithgas said:

Human beings do not infest. Insects infest.

Just using the term is

Racist as fug. All day. All night.

more than just racist.

every day Trump plants little seeds.  He lets them sit and grow for a minute.  Because he will come back with worse. 

and so many dumb Americans need to pickup history books and realize Trump isn't new.  History books are filled with Trumps.  Trump is new to us and it isn't American.