Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

ARSEN

Game of Thrones - Season 8

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Still Brooklyn said:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Part of me wants to believe (it's an impossible belief) that this episode was supposed to be E6 (with a different ending), and the Cersei stuff was supposed to come before but the showrunners switched it up for some reason. But no ... this is how it's supposed to be. Good luck versus King's Landing's forces, Euron's forces, and the Golden Company with like 25 people.

+2 Dragons and a Dire Wolf (plus maybe some more, if Nymeria shows up)

I don't see Cersei conjuring  a snowstorm to equalize the dragons. I'm thinking, once the Golden Company see them, they'll turncoat. Euron will probably just sail away, lol. Ships will be just as easy of targets as men standing in ranks.

I don't think I mentioned it before, but in next week's preview, Dany saying they were going to rip Cersei out, "root and stem" is a direct callback to both Robb saying it (paraphrasing what Tywin would say to him, knowing he had captured Jaime) as well as Arya saying it while wearing Walder's face (saying that they should have killed all the Starks, not just the ones at the Red Wedding.) I think I have said in this thread too that Cersei had a similar line "this is what ruling is, lying on a bed of weeds, ripping them out by the root, one by one, before they strangle you in your sleep." I still think that is a foreshadowing that she'll either be poisoned by the "valonquar," be it Tyrion or Jaime, or at least being "ripped out," as a weed herself.

Interesting to see how it plays out.

Other theories floating out there that I wonder if are true:

Jon has to kill Dany for some reason (not sure I buy this)
Dany dies in childbirth
Tyrion's betrayal (of note, everyone the "leak" said was in attendance for his trial/this event are indeed still alive)

I think, right now, I just want to know Cersei dies, and Brienne and Tormund get together in the end! HAHA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


34 minutes ago, Still Brooklyn said:
  4 hours ago, twylyght said:

Did we get a definitive on the fate of Benjen Stark?  Did we actually witness him biting it or was it a shot of him riding into a throng of wights?

He was attacked by wights. I assume he was totally turned at that point so he is now dead.

If it's the latter, then there's the opening of him being the new NK over the next 1000 years.

Why and how?

Benjen should have been turned before, but the Children saved him (if but for a time).  It seemed he had come through a few tight spots as a "not wight/not living" person that appeared so randomly through the show.

It seems it would be an interesting bookend for the series for him to open the first episode as a man and end it as the new NK for the cycle to begin anew (as this has been referenced to be a cycle).

My thought was that the existing NK was previously a Targaryn and that is why he was fireproof.

My biggest fear for the remaining episodes is making sure every character gets their major moment to neatly wrap up their storylines.  The killing of the NK in the middle of the final season is a really nice touch in my opinion.  I'd love a completely blindsided ending like Gendry being the last man standing and taking the throne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously something is going to happen but it's really not needed.  The dragons can destroy Euron's fleet and then all they have to do is siege KL and starve them out.  It doesn't matter if the GC is 20,000 or 200,00...they'll get torched fighting in an open battle with dragons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Still Brooklyn said:

I'm trying to think of any way Tyrion could betray Jon and Dany and I just can't think of anything. What can he do that would give Cersei the upperhand?

It might not be anything he does. It could be something they are led to believe he does. IE Cersei could set him up. But you'd think that Bran could see the truth in it.

I doubt it plays out like that, but I have seen that tossed around.

The biggest guess I have based on the "leakes" is that he ignites the wildfire himself, hoping to kill Cersei or something, and kills a bunch of innocent townsfolk in the process. Can't really rule over a kingdom of ashes.

That, or he does something that leads to the death of one of both of the dragons, or even Jon and/or Dany.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, natty said:

Obviously something is going to happen but it's really not needed.  The dragons can destroy Euron's fleet and then all they have to do is siege KL and starve them out.  It doesn't matter if the GC is 20,000 or 200,00...they'll get torched fighting in an open battle with dragons.

Dany could of taken KL long ago.   They all know that.  Only reason she didn't is because she didn't want to kill all those people.  Now factor in her pairing w/ super good guy Jon Snow?   

Kings Landing is going to be hard for Dany/Snow and her dragons to take down...simply because of the human shield factor IMO.  

So the the next battle is likely much different IMO.  The dragons aren't really that effective in it because they aren't going there to destroy.  That would be easy.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give Brienne and Tormund a castle. Maybe they'll get Tarth or the Eyrie. (where tf is Robin Arryn btw?)

Gendry/Arya to rule Winterfell/the North.

Sam and Gilly get Horn Hill/Highgarden.

Bronn gets the Twins (two castles!)

Jon and Dany retire to Dragonstone.

Sansa gets King's Landing.

Bran heads to Harrenhal, that haunted ass, creepy castle that matches his creepy ass character now.

Jaime or Tyrion, if they survive, get to go back the Casterly Rock.

Pod gets Dorne, and all those hot, sex crazed Dornish women.

The Hound becomes the High Septon.

The End.

  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Bronn said:

Give Brienne and Tormund a castle. Maybe they'll get Tarth or the Eyrie. (where tf is Robin Arryn btw?)

Gendry/Arya to rule Winterfell/the North.

Sam and Gilly get Horn Hill/Highgarden.

Bronn gets the Twins (two castles!)

Jon and Dany retire to Dragonstone.

Sansa gets King's Landing.

Bran heads to Harrenhal, that haunted ass, creepy castle that matches his creepy ass character now.

Jaime or Tyrion, if they survive, get to go back the Casterly Rock.

Pod gets Dorne, and all those hot, sex crazed Dornish women.

The Hound becomes the High Septon.

The End.

Dont see it.  Of the main characters Starks,lannisters, targaryens only 1 will survive imo.

Cersei will kill Dany

Dany will kill Sansa

Tyrion will try to kill Dany and get executed.

Jamie will be killed by the mountain

Cersei will be killed by Arya

Brandon will be killed by Dany

John will be killed by the Mountain

 

Arya will rule the throne with Gendrys baby.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Squirrel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Dont see it.  Of the main characters Starks,lannisters, targaryens only 1 will survive imo.

Cersei will kill Dany

Dany will kill Sansa

Tyrion will try to kill Dany and get executed.

Jamie will be killed by the mountain

Cersei will be killed by Arya

Brandon will be killed by Dany

John will be killed by the Mountain

 

Arya will rule the throne with Gendrys baby.

 

 

 

 

 

excuse me wtf GIF

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a bit concerned at first when the NK died. I figured that the whole show was about this battle and the resolution had to be at the end.

I've thought about it and I don't think that's the case. The dénouement was, in fact this battle, but as with most books there is an epilogue to sort out the affairs of the remaining characters. During this epilogue there is often conflict, tension and even action/death.

I use LOTR as an example. Sauron dies and there's still like at least 100 pages left which include the Scouring of the Shire (or whatever it was called). Same with the movie. There was quite a bit left to wrap up. So while yes the show's big bad guy has been defeated with 3 episodes left, these 3 episodes will wrap up the affairs of man and resolve the political side stories that were created along the way. So we get one more big battle (ep 5) and then final resolution. Next episode sets up the Battle of Kings Landing and then the dust settles in the final episode. Seems pretty straight forward from a literary perspective and not the same kind of ending a typical tv show would get.

We are conditioned in tv shows to literally end the show or the main story that was happening but in books we generally get more of the wrapping up of all the drama. Most books that I can think of don't end abruptly.  Not sure all that makes sense but those were my thoughts last night as I digested that awesome episode that was kinda hard to see.

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was questioning why so many main characters were still alive after that battle at winterfell. But I realized there are still 3 episodes left. It would probably not be very entertaining to see Cersei just continue to be queen with no challenge..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How they take Cerci off the throne now will be interesting.  No army left right?  No dorthraki and no unsulled.

Edited by Shocker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Moorgan said:

I was a bit concerned at first when the NK died. I figured that the whole show was about this battle and the resolution had to be at the end.

I've thought about it and I don't think that's the case. The dénouement was, in fact this battle, but as with most books there is an epilogue to sort out the affairs of the remaining characters. During this epilogue there is often conflict, tension and even action/death.

I use LOTR as an example. Sauron dies and there's still like at least 100 pages left which include the Scouring of the Shire (or whatever it was called). Same with the movie. There was quite a bit left to wrap up. So while yes the show's big bad guy has been defeated with 3 episodes left, these 3 episodes will wrap up the affairs of man and resolve the political side stories that were created along the way. So we get one more big battle (ep 5) and then final resolution. Next episode sets up the Battle of Kings Landing and then the dust settles in the final episode. Seems pretty straight forward from a literary perspective and not the same kind of ending a typical tv show would get.

We are conditioned in tv shows to literally end the show or the main story that was happening but in books we generally get more of the wrapping up of all the drama. Most books that I can think of don't end abruptly.  Not sure all that makes sense but those were my thoughts last night as I digested that awesome episode that was kinda hard to see.

PIE for using dénouement :)

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good battle episode, hoardes of wights and some nice character touches through the fighting scenes. 

But. The NK did not pay off. The biggest villian we've been fed since scene 1 ep 1 was not properly realised because we didnt see the full extent of his power, understand his motive or have any connection with him at all. Compare him to Thanos, we can relate to his motive, see his struggle, understand his strength (with and w/out the gauntlet) its all about HIM. With the NK we get a whole hoard of faceless dead people and it all gets blown away by a simple dagger to his chest by an assassin who (although Arya's character was developed 2 seasons ago) is a very inconsistent character in terms of her strength, ability, loyalty etc.... 

IF the battle had built up through the NKs strengths and how the "good guys" work through them and ended with a fight involving the NK, it would have been so much more satisfying. Some dialogue/flashbacks between the NK and Bran would have "humanised" him a bit, might of got us to understand what he wanted a lot more and then it all gets ripped away at the last minute. 

We should have seen the wights fight and the living start to get an upper hand (in all honesty they would have with better tactics plus use of the dragons). Then the white walkers get involved, with some scenes of NK + Bran "communicating", then the NK properly enters the fray and lays waste to everything (including John) before the long jump + stab.

But we got what we got, I dont care what anyone says but this wasnt a well written villain and the fight didn't provide as much emotion as it should have. Lets hope the next few episodes deliver.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      19,837
    • Most Online
      2,867

    Newest Member
    Slapdad
    Joined
  • Topics

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      144,652
    • Total Posts
      4,725,618
  • Posts

    • Since most people forget, Moton spent much of the preseason weeks at LT and started there week 1. He looked great at LT against a very good Dallas DL and he also looked great in the week 3 (the one where starters play almost the entire game) preseason game against New England, another solid DL. That said, he looked just as good at RT when Williams went down the second time. Moton’s got the ability to ply both tackle spots, which is good and bad. Good because it helps us have depth because he can switch if a backup is better at one or the other. Bad because I worry that they’ll continually move him instead of letting him become a possible Pro-Bowl tackle. I think he’s got that potential.
    • Because it’s actually an accredited news organization? 
    • Perfectly sums up the conservative relationship with AOC. What the hell is a "look at me moron?" What you're basically saying is you can't stop looking at her, so you need to find it a derogatory thing so you can make it mesh with your tribalistic political ethos. You're basically Lisa Simpson:   The sooner you Pubs reconcile with your confused boner, the sooner you'll be able to grow up. Maybe then you'll stop worrying about who other people marry, what women do with their bodies, and what bathroom someone wants to use.
×
×
  • Create New...