Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jesse

Julius Peppers Announces Retirement

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

remember when peppers made sure we couldn't trade him by listing the only teams he'd sign a contract extension with and stating he wanted to play OLB in a base 3-4?

then he went to none of the teams he listed and played in the same defense?

good times.

Absolutely pathetic on the day that the greatest player in franchise hisory and without a doubt the first ever true Panther to be inducted into the HOF retires, you spend the day ripping him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Peppers is like top 5 to ever play his position. Greatest Carolina Panther ain't even up for debate. He's the best football player to ever come out of this team and I'm glad he came back for a happy ending. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

remember when peppers made sure we couldn't trade him by listing the only teams he'd sign a contract extension with and stating he wanted to play OLB in a base 3-4?

then he went to none of the teams he listed and played in the same defense?

good times.

Peppers also alluded to regretting that and wanting to make it right by resigning here for the fans.  

And honestly given the state of the team after the 2009 season, who could really blame him for wanting to leave?  And in retrospect, I also think he really just wanted to get out of being under the sports microscope of his home state.

I was as mad as anyone when Peppers left, but ultimately I understand his reasons for wanting to leave.  It also took a lot of courage, conviction, and even humility to return after that.  It's hard not to respect that.

Peppers will be the first Hall of Famer drafted by the Panthers to be inducted into the Hall of Fame (unless Smitty somehow gets in during the first couple of tries which I'm hoping but not confident).  

He deserves every accolade and praise from Panthers fans.  His story is the story of most life, messy and all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

Peppers also alluded to regretting that and wanting to make it right by resigning here for the fans.  

And honestly given the state of the team after the 2009 season, who could really blame him for wanting to leave?  And in retrospect, I also think he really just wanted to get out of being under the sports microscope of his home state.

I was as mad as anyone when Peppers left, but ultimately I understand his reasons for wanting to leave.  It also took a lot of courage, conviction, and even humility to return after that.  It's hard not to respect that.

Peppers will be the first Hall of Famer drafted by the Panthers to be inducted into the Hall of Fame (unless Smitty somehow gets in during the first couple of tries which I'm hoping but not confident).  

He deserves every accolade and praise from Panthers fans.  His story is the story of most life, messy and all.

Perfectly said.  I was furious with him at the time, and albeit much more immature, but I was humbled as a fan that he came back and wanted to make it right.  And in hindsight, he never did anything wrong, he just wanted room to grow himself...  But to see the maturation he underwent from his first stint here to his second was absolutely amazing.  He is the perfect ambassador of everything right with football.  It was actually a fairy tale story minus the Super Bowl win at the end, and man do I wish we could've gotten that for him.  He is an all-time legend, and will be greatly missed.  There will never be another Julius Peppers, PERIOD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you just read the headline, go back and read the entire article he wrote. For a man of few words, he chose them so very well.

I'm a bit choked up today, he's one of the greatest to ever put on a pair of cleats. When his name goes before the nominating committee for the HoF it won't even be a ballot issue, just a solemn nod between all of the decisions makers and a line of "Okay, who else will be going in?"

He's very likely an even better person than he ever was a football player. We're lucky to have had him and to still have him in our community.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 4Corners said:

What a legend. Played in a final four and super bowl. Aside from Jordan, maybe the best athlete the state of NC has ever produced. Go Heels! 

Pepp was better.  Elite in 2 sports.  Jordan tried but couldn't pull it off.

Good onya Pepp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, NJPanthers12 said:

No, instead Thomas Davis was a drama queen who got the best GM in panthers history fired. He went back on his word on every single thing he said over a 4 year span. Steve Smith demanded trades and punched teammates. He threw rookies like keary Colbert, jimmy clausen, and cam under the bus. He also went on a rampage of bashing the team for a couple of years. I have nothing bad to say about Sam mills.

spar me on the Julius peppers leaving Charlotte story. It didn’t help when morons with half the talent like Jon beason would go on local radio and throw Julius under the bus. Or when creepy sexual harassing owners blindsides Julius publicly demanding he be more of a vocal leader when that isn’t the type of person he is.

This one touches all the bases and then takes a lap around the outfield!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i used to love to watch him play basketball at Carolina

i remember one of the dook players, i think it was either jay williams or dunleavy, said they once ran into one of his screens...said it was like running into a stump 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

If you just read the headline, go back and read the entire article he wrote. For a man of few words, he chose them so very well.

I'm a bit choked up today, he's one of the greatest to ever put on a pair of cleats. When his name goes before the nominating committee for the HoF it won't even be a ballot issue, just a solemn nod between all of the decisions makers and a line of "Okay, who else will be going in?"

He's very likely an even better person than he ever was a football player. We're lucky to have had him and to still have him in our community.

 

damn straight...  I'm in my feels right now as well man.  What a legend!  Like i said, there will never be another Julius Peppers.  As a born and raised North Carolinian, there was always a bigger sense of pride in seeing him succeed more so than any other professional athlete I can remember.  He made us proud to say we shared the same home state.  We were lucky to have him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

it's too early for this...  I'm crying like my wife watching The Notebook.

same... lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, NJPanthers12 said:

No, instead Thomas Davis was a drama queen who got the best GM in panthers history fired. He went back on his word on every single thing he said over a 4 year span. Steve Smith demanded trades and punched teammates. He threw rookies like keary Colbert, jimmy clausen, and cam under the bus. He also went on a rampage of bashing the team for a couple of years. I have nothing bad to say about Sam mills.

spar me on the Julius peppers leaving Charlotte story. It didn’t help when morons with half the talent like Jon beason would go on local radio and throw Julius under the bus. Or when creepy sexual harassing owners blindsides Julius publicly demanding he be more of a vocal leader when that isn’t the type of person he is.

still all for smitty, my fav all time panther

TD only about the cash...panthers did much more for him than he ever did for them..he should be retiring as well

beason has turned into quite the turd...cant stand him on the radio

say what you will about Pep...when he was on, we all loved watching him play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure am glad the Texans went David Carr.....

 

First home grown HOF'er.  Glad I got to watch him his entire career, and glad to see him change during his career.

 

Wish him nothing but the best, and wish we could have gotten him, Smitty and TD a ring before walking away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Pep!  Hated we lost you for a few years, but glad you came back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      20,129
    • Most Online
      2,867

    Newest Member
    lmbm74
    Joined
  • Topics

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      146,178
    • Total Posts
      4,814,327
  • Posts

    • Because this is all the comes down to. Yes this is another Cam vs Allen thread. Because this is the most important thing to happen in the franchise's history in my opinion. It seems most are willing to bet Allen can improve his game to levels of starter like success vs Cam staying on the field. To me it seem the easier and more likely scenario is Newton staying healthy. Before the last season or 2 had had been built up as this god who couldnt get hurt now because of the shoulder and the foot injury his body is breaking down. My thoughts on the two are these are 2 completely different injuries that have nothing what so ever to do with each other. Just because your shoulder got hurt and yes that is a huge one and was suppose to take multiple season to get back to sustainable levels doesn't mean your whole body is just giving out. The foot injury as far as I'm concerned is a random freak accident that could have happened to anyone. More bad luck than anything.  Keep him clean and you know what you have with newton on the field. The bigger gamble is believing allen can win you football games. Yes you can win with him limiting mistakes but so far I haven't seen any evidence he can match you down the field vs good teams and will a team to victory. Yes he has moxy and guts throws a accurate mid range ball,but it lacks zip and deep range accuracy. That isn't the end all be all tho.. my thoughts is that can we be sure this guy can develop into a player worthy of letting a guy whom we know if healthy can will a team to victories is worth keeping over a guy who hasn't shown that ability for. Seems the common consensus is we know cam cant stay healthy and is more likely to get hurt than allen is likely to throw 3-4 touchdowns and win the big games. I just feel this a grave mistake one that because were afraid cam will get hurt again we are just going with the lesser talent who hasn't gotten hurt yet. And yes that could happen as well but we lose the bonus of haven a proven winner and generation talent. A true hall of fame game breaker.I feel we are more likely to get from Grier what we get from allen than to assume Allen is a competitor and leader who can will us to victory in the same vein as Newton. Have we been spoiled by the Newton era so much that we think we can win with anybody or what it's like to be the browns or dolphins who have been searching for a decade talent for...well decades? 
    • Falcons pump in crowd noise. Get caught because the chanting is Ole' Ole' Ole'.
  • Masters of PIE !

×
×
  • Create New...