Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain Morgan

NFL.com ranks the NFC south rookie classes

and we look pretty good.

#1 in the division with a  B plus.  Gaulden holding us back a little here.

The 2018 NFL season is in the books, meaning the 2019 NFL Draft is coming down the pike. But before we completely shift focus to the next crop of prospects entering the league, let's take full stock of the rookies who just finished up Year 1. In this division-by-division Rookie Grades series, we're evaluating each team's 2018 draft class and spotlighting areas to address this offseason. Jeremy Bergman examines the NFC South below.

RANK

B+

panthers-logo.jpg

CAROLINA PANTHERS

Round 1: (No. 24 overall) D.J. Moore, WR, 16 games/10 starts. 
Round 2: (55) Donte Jackson, CB, 16 games/16 starts. 
Round 3: (85) Rashaan Gaulden, CB, 15 games/0 starts. 
Round 4: (101) Ian Thomas, TE, 16 games/6 starts; (136) Marquis Haynes, LB, 4 games/0 starts. 
Round 5: (161) Jermaine Carter, LB, 16 games/1 start. 
Round 7: (234) Andre Smith, LB, 3 games/0 starts; (242) Kendrick Norton, DT, 0 games/0 starts (waived by Panthers in September, spent time on practice squad, then signed with Dolphins in December). 
Notable rookie FA signings: Kyle Allen, QB, 2 games/1 start. 

Drafted two spots away from each other by division rivals, Moore and Falcons receiver Calvin Ridley will be compared to one another forever, or at least through their rookie contracts. Whereas Ridley found the end zone plenty in his first year, Moore did so just twice -- and despite racking up more yards after the catch, Moore was outgained by the Atlanta receiver, as well (821 to 788). Yet, both Moore and Ridley shared PFWA honors as the top receivers from the 2018 rookie class. Moore and Jackson, who started every game for Carolina in 2018 and looked like DROY material for the first half, comprised one of the best tops of a draft this year. The same cannot be said for much of the rest of the haul. Thomas proved useful after Greg Olsen was lost for the season in Week 13, and Allen's standout performance in New Orleans during the season finale could help earn him the backup role in 2019 -- or even the starting position, if Cam Newton's shoulder holds him back. 

Combine/free agency focus: Well, it depends on Newton. If the Panthers anticipate Cam's recent shoulder surgery/procedure/thing won't heal the ailing joint ahead of training camp, then they need to go out and find a suitable backup to at least compete with Allen for the start of the season. That would likely occur in free agency. Nick Foles and his price tag are likely off the table, but more feasible options will be out there. Carolina still needs help on the offensive line, where Daryl Williams is an impending free agent and Matt Kalil is set to count for a hefty $12.2 million against the cap, according to Over the Cap. The Panthers need to replace esteemed veteran Thomas Davis in the front seven, as well as the retiring duo of Julius Peppers on the defensive line and Ryan Kalil at center. Meanwhile, receiver Devin Funchess and safety Eric Reid are headed for free agency. General manager Marty Hurney's to-do list is long.

Falcons got a B, Saints got a B- and Bucs got a C.

But what's to note here is the Saints draft...they got Davenport in the first, didn't have a second, and Tre'quan Smith in the 3rd.

Their 4, 5th, and both 6ths were all cut.  How is that a B-?  7 players drafted and only 2 are still with the team after just one year?  And of course the Saints don't have a 1st, 3rd or 4th this year.  

Not really possible to grade a draft for at least 3 years. Hurney needs to pull another rabbit out of his hat and have another good draft in 19

Didn’t Ridley play the whole season vs. Moore thanks to rondumbassery why is this fugtard comparing stats?

1 hour ago, Lumps said:

Didn’t Ridley play the whole season vs. Moore thanks to rondumbassery why is this fugtard comparing stats?

Yes, a dumbass comparison considering Moore got like 2 targets on 15 snaps his first 3 games, and still was within 33 yds

bup but bup what has happened to our defense 

well draft 3 corners back to back to back in  one draft & hit on one of them.i mean what type of idiot does this poo?

by golly lets draft a hog Mollie in the first & we wind up with freaking Vernon Butler 

oh my my unfortunately i gotta make sure that i don't forget about the blue goose by the name of Kony Early that should've been called the little red caboose instead.

& yeah it's like Pete & repeat sitting on a log with can we send him back Shaq

...with that said thank God we have a competent GM now that's not an idiot.

3 hours ago, thefuzz said:

Gaulden is gonna be a bad one...

A little too early to say that at this point.  Let's see what, if anything, he provides this year

6 minutes ago, PantherNation123 said:

A little too early to say that at this point.  Let's see what, if anything, he provides this year

3rd round pick with bad athleticism that we will likely want to play safety, while there were legit safety's on the board...if he contributes significantly at all I will be happy....and surprised.

6 hours ago, Lumps said:

Another reason it’s silly because Moore had value in the run and return game. He had almost 200 yards rushing 

20 hours ago, bandu said:

bup but bup what has happened to our defense 

well draft 3 corners back to back to back in  one draft & hit on one of them.i mean what type of idiot does this poo?

by golly lets draft a hog Mollie in the first & we wind up with freaking Vernon Butler 

oh my my unfortunately i gotta make sure that i don't forget about the blue goose by the name of Kony Early that should've been called the little red caboose instead.

& yeah it's like Pete & repeat sitting on a log with can we send him back Shaq

...with that said thank God we have a competent GM now that's not an idiot.

As bad as Ealy was, he saved his one great game for the right time. He put up an MVP like performance in the Superbowl and would have gotten MVP honors if the oline could block and if Shula wasn't an idiot