• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

UNCrules2187

Panthers sign Eric Reid to 3-year contract

1 minute ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Hell yeah! I can see the league already scheduling 20 more "random" drug tests next season but wont find poo.

you mean Reid is going to lie some more?

• Poo 4

1 minute ago, WarPanthers89 said:

You do realize that he is the reason why the market tanked last year right? 

We'll find out this year. I don't think for a second teams held off on signing other safeties because of Eric Reid. All they had to say was that they preferred their guy over Eric Reid if asked.

Searcy still under contract and will probably give it another go. Would like to see another high draft pick at that position.

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, based on last year's safety free agency, we overpaid. Considerably.

Yes we did...but, it’s better than $10m a year and it’s done.

We actually signed and paid a safety, hopefully after a year in camp he will be much better and have an impact 

time to move on to DL/OL

Solid deal for the money. Now we need a free safety who can cover so Reid isn't stuck back there looking terrible. He needs to be up in the box and I want to see him blitzing more this year. He could really help the pass rush out.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Agree but I think this year's safety market will be different and will make his deal look okay. 

• Pumpkin Spice Latte 1

1 minute ago, Captroop said:

He also didn't have training camp with the team and started in week 4 in a defensive scheme that got its coach demoted. Let's see what he can do with an off-season.

I still don't know how that has to do with his poor instincts.  Bad scheme doesn't put you constantly out of position, bad instincts and being selfish do.

• Poo 6

While I do think we overpaid and I would've let him test the waters before inking that deal, I'm not too displeased with it after criminally neglecting the position for years. It'll be nice to actually have some continuity at safety as opposed to a constant revolving door of washed up vets.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

4 minutes ago, bull123 said:

Yes we did...but, it’s better than $10m a year and it’s done.

We actually signed and paid a safety, hopefully after a year in camp he will be much better and have an impact 

time to move on to DL/OL

I agree for him to literally come off the couch and play decent at all is good. Now he can get his conditioning and training camp experience. I believe he will play better than last yr. I like his fire.

Edited by Darvinsun
  • Pie 2

Easy decision, Reid is more valuable to the Panthers than he would have been on the open market.  Numbers a decent now go get a FS so he can play his natural position.

3 yr/ 22 mil (with incentives up to 24)

Edited by Untouchable
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We'll find out this year. I don't think for a second teams held off on signing other safeties because of Eric Reid. All they had to say was that they preferred their guy over Eric Reid if asked.

i could see teams using it as a negotiation tactic. "why should we pay you _____ when eric reid isn't signed???" ofc we know teams were colluding but they had to keep up the charade in the face of potential legal action.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

100%. Mathieu got 1 year $7m. I like Reid and I’m glad we resigned him, but he’s now the 7th highest paid safety unless Thomas and/or Joyner make more. This is a guy no one wanted las year. According to PFF rankings we certainly overpaid.

If we were going to throw this money around why not just sign Mathieu last year? Heck, why not use Norwell’s comp this year and trade up from Gaulden’s pick and take Justin Reid and use all this money to go after Frank Clark or Clowney or Lawrence?

I like signing Reid but giving him a top 10 salary at a position that was going for peanuts the past two years when most teams wouldn’t touch him is so Hurney. People acting like it’s a great deal since we didn’t pay $10m per year are very out of touch on the safety market.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

find a free safety and a nickel and we're looking really good in the secondary

This defense could quickly be back to top 5 with the right moves. A FA DE and early DE in the draft and then FS and nickel in free agency or day 2 of draft and we'd be looking very good. Also could let Shaq walk to clear up cap space and draft a LB to replace him. Add in Rivera coordinating it (definitely the best we've had there since McD left, maybe even better) and some new mixed 3-4 looks and there's a lot of reason to be excited about the D next year. 

Offense is a different story until we know know more about Cam's recovery and see what happens on the OL.

• Pie 1