Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

rodeo

democratic primary candidates thread

2 hours ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

Even though NAFTA, which was originally negotiated and signed on to by a Republican President

Bill Clinton "Third Way/New Dem" signed NAFTA into law.

Biden voted for NAFTA as well.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Bill Clinton "Third Way/New Dem" signed NAFTA into law.

Biden voted for NAFTA as well.

It was negotiated during the HW Bush administration, agreed to in principal, and then it went in front of Congress to be ratified.  And yes, by then a neoliberal Democrat was in office and he signed it.

I mean yeah, "free trade" is conservative by nature.  NAFTA was the crown jewel of neoliberal economic policy and Republicans have been ardent virtually my entire life that the US is a service economy now and if you didn't go to college and get a business degree then tough titties.  This stuff with Trump sucking up to organized labor and Republicans suddenly being in with love tariffs and protectionism and wanting to pull out of trade agreements and poo is a very recent, abrupt about-face.

Edited by The NFL Shield At Midfield

1 hour ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

It was negotiated during the HW Bush administration, agreed to in principal, and then it went in front of Congress to be ratified.  And yes, by then a neoliberal Democrat was in office and he signed it.

I mean yeah, "free trade" is conservative by nature.  NAFTA was the crown jewel of neoliberal economic policy and Republicans have been ardent virtually my entire life that the US is a service economy now and if you didn't go to college and get a business degree then tough titties. 

Point being, the leadership of the democratic party today shares the same core beliefs that Bill Clinton and Joe Biden did almost 30 years ago.

Bill Clinton's record as POTUS looks worse as the years go by with deregulation of Wall Street and mass media, destruction of the social safety net and an explosion of the US prison population due to the Crime Bill.  All this legislation was right wing inspired but signed into law by a president who identifies as a New/Third Way Democrat.  Biden is cut from the same cloth.  Establishment dems like these are why the party has lost a substancial number of working class voters to Trump.  And why not?  The Democratic party no longer represents these people's interests.

Consider what occurred in 2016. The Democrats ran a candidate who spent most of her career as a figurehead for groups like Third Way and the DLC. Clinton was a prominent member of the New Democratic Caucus in the Senate and spoke at DLC conferences on multiple occasions as recently as 2008. She was also awash in corporate money, dominating every other candidate in donations from Wall Street, Big Pharma, Big Media and most other centers of private capital, while her primary opponent relied almost entirely on grassroots support. Meanwhile, she was given strategic support from the Democratic National Committee, which collaborated in efforts to discredit Bernie Sanders (which it vehemently denied before being exposed) and leaked debate questions to Clinton. The campaign, with the support of almost every powerful Democrat, went on to smear ideas that appeal to the base, such as Medicare for All and tuition-free higher education, saying they were unrealistic.

Working-class voters, especially in states hurt by the very same trade deals Hillary Clinton has defended and Third Way promoted vigorously, viewed her as part of “the establishment.” They were turned off by her relationship with Wall Street figures, who donated to her campaign in record numbers, and gave her grotesque sums of money to give speeches at Goldman Sachs (the contents of which were eventually leaked). Thus, Third Way got the candidate it wanted, she had the full support of the establishment, and she still lost. Third Way, however, continues to claim the party has been insufficiently establishment-oriented in recent years.

https://truthout.org/articles/third-way-democrats-are-trying-to-push-the-party-rightward/

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth

1 hour ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

I mean yeah, "free trade" is conservative by nature.  NAFTA was the crown jewel of neoliberal economic policy and Republicans have been ardent virtually my entire life that the US is a service economy now and if you didn't go to college and get a business degree then tough titties.  This stuff with Trump sucking up to organized labor and Republicans suddenly being in with love tariffs and protectionism and wanting to pull out of trade agreements and poo is a very recent, abrupt about-face.

Tariffs are the one thing I disagree with Trump on....said today a new round of 25% going in place next Friday...I’m all for sticking it to the Chinese, but consumers lose big time with these tariffs 

6 hours ago, bull123 said:

That Abrams gal from Georgia would be a good candidate for the dems

i imagined a person saying this sentence out loud and now i know exactly what you look like

• Pie 1
  • Cargos 1

https://lithub.com/rebecca-solnit-unconscious-bias-is-running-for-president/

"Meanwhile, the New York Times in all its august unbearability just published this prize sentence in a piece about Joe Biden’s failure to offer Anita Hill an apology she found adequate: “Many former Judiciary Committee aides and other people who participated did not want to talk on the record because they feared that scrutiny of Mr. Biden’s past conduct would undermine the campaign of the candidate some think could be best positioned to defeat President Trump, whose treatment of women is a huge issue for Democrats.” That translates as, let’s run a guy whose treatment of women is an issue, and let’s ignore that treatment because even so we think that he’s best positioned to defeat the guy whose treatment of women is an issue, and also fug treatment of women, especially this black woman, as an issue, really.

Sometimes these guys with outsized platforms say poo like James Comey did when he complained that his erstwhile classmate Amy Klobuchar was “annoyingly smart,” perhaps because women are not supposed to be like that in his worldview. The framework that intelligence is an asset in a man and a defect in a woman is nastily familiar. Another white man had the temerity to explain to me that “The really smart wonks don’t end up being the media stars needed to win the presidency, i.e., Hillary Clinton—super smart, knows the facts, but comes off as smug and all knowing. I get this from Kamala Harris too.” In other words, he assumes that they are women who know too much and the character defect is theirs, not his."

• Pie 2

i'd about rather cut my dick off than vote for biden.     but trump's base will like it if he espouses his thoughts about segregation again.  and i'm getting sick of fellow libs saying we have to support him to beat trump.  no, no i don't because i don't.  this isn't football.  this is about the future of the human race and the planet and it'll just be more of the same bs with him.   ugh!    

• Pie 2

On 5/7/2019 at 6:47 AM, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

Different democratic primary, same old poo from the MSM.