Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Datawire

Chernobyl (HBO) Mini- Series

I thought it was very well done, although there were several times I felt the British accents took me out of the moment. Preferably they would have done the show in Russian with subtitles to keep it authentic, but I don't really fault the filmmakers for going straight English as it probably makes casting much easier.

I'm pretty ignorant about the details of Chernobyl so I'm looking forward to watching this and then reading up on what went down.

16 hours ago, ARSEN said:

Wow!  Every detail is remarkable...  even down to the dead bird at the end.  Who ever made this series definitely did their homework.  It’s extremely detailed.

I read an interview with Stellan Skarsgard about the level of detail they went into the other day. He said the wardrobe people even tailored all of the clothes on set with itchy, Soviet era fabric. He said most people here wouldn't even notice, but I figured it would jump out at you since you grew up there.

• Pie 1

Haven't watched but I intend to as I remember Chernobyl well as a young teen when it happened and it is embedded in my memory forever. Forbes did an article about the show today and one thing I found interesting is that I remember Chernobyl as this big regional, even global disaster with thousands of people dying but in fact the official death toll from Chernobyl was less than 50 with hardly any officially dying of radiation. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/05/09/the-reason-they-fictionalize-nuclear-disasters-like-chernobyl-is-because-they-kill-so-few-people/#3ace601141fc

Chernobyl’s total death toll is small compared to other famous disasters. According to the United Nations, 28 first responders died a few weeks after the accident, and since then 19 died for ”various reasons” including tuberculosis, cirrhosis of the liver, heart attacks, and trauma. The U.N. concluded that “the assignment of radiation as the cause of death has become less clear.”

Accidental deaths are always tragic, but it’s worth putting them in perspective. The worst energy disaster, the collapse of a hydroelectric dam in China, killed between 170,000 and 230,000 people. The Bhopal chemical disaster killed 15,000.

48 minutes ago, Johnny Rockets said:

Haven't watched but I intend to as I remember Chernobyl well as a young teen when it happened and it is embedded in my memory forever. Forbes did an article about the show today and one thing I found interesting is that I remember Chernobyl as this big regional, even global disaster with thousands of people dying but in fact the official death toll from Chernobyl was less than 50 with hardly any officially dying of radiation. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/05/09/the-reason-they-fictionalize-nuclear-disasters-like-chernobyl-is-because-they-kill-so-few-people/#3ace601141fc

Chernobyl’s total death toll is small compared to other famous disasters. According to the United Nations, 28 first responders died a few weeks after the accident, and since then 19 died for ”various reasons” including tuberculosis, cirrhosis of the liver, heart attacks, and trauma. The U.N. concluded that “the assignment of radiation as the cause of death has become less clear.”

Accidental deaths are always tragic, but it’s worth putting them in perspective. The worst energy disaster, the collapse of a hydroelectric dam in China, killed between 170,000 and 230,000 people. The Bhopal chemical disaster killed 15,000.

That article actually says "Upon tweeting out some numbers comparing Chernobyl’s death toll (~200/total)". After I watched the episode, I googled death total of the accident.  You go to the wiki page and it has this wild range of possible deaths:

Link

As reputable, peer-reviewed sources -- including the medical journal The Lancet -- have noted, the total number of deaths attributed to the Chernobyl disaster is a controversial and disputed issue, with former Soviet officials and disparate governmental, health, environmental, and survivors' organizations citing a range of estimates ranging from no more than 31 total deaths to no less than 93,000.

1 hour ago, Johnny Rockets said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths_due_to_the_Chernobyl_disaster

If you think only 40 or so people died because of Chernobyl.  You are nuts.  The radiation cloud it released blanketed almost the whole Europe... causing cancers,  disease, mutation and etc.  it’s almost impossible to track the impact and Chernobyl will continue to leak radiation for thousands of years.  

We got Duke Energy Nuclear Station right here in lake Norman...  when I watched “doomsday” tv show... they said bunkers are useless because if something happens and all nuclear plans start to go... we will all die of radiation poisoning.  poo... I still have potassium iodide in my house right now. 

• Pie 3

Finally watched the first episode last night.  It amazing and just as utterly terrifying as the preview made it out to be.

• Pie 1

5 Weird Things You Didn't Know About Chernobyl

The Chernobyl nuclear power plant exploded more than three decades ago, in 1986, but you can watch it unfold on HBO's TV miniseries "Chernobyl," which premiered earlier this week.

While most people know the general story — that due to human error, the nuclear reactor exploded and unleashed radioactive material across Europe — few know the nitty-gritty details. Here are five weird facts you probably didn't know about Chernobyl. 

Follow the link:

https://www.livescience.com/65450-weird-chernobyl-facts.html?utm_source=ls-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190510-ls

On 5/11/2019 at 10:18 AM, NanuqoftheNorth said:

5 Weird Things You Didn't Know About Chernobyl

The Chernobyl nuclear power plant exploded more than three decades ago, in 1986, but you can watch it unfold on HBO's TV miniseries "Chernobyl," which premiered earlier this week.

While most people know the general story — that due to human error, the nuclear reactor exploded and unleashed radioactive material across Europe — few know the nitty-gritty details. Here are five weird facts you probably didn't know about Chernobyl. 

Follow the link:

https://www.livescience.com/65450-weird-chernobyl-facts.html?utm_source=ls-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190510-ls

Everyone should know those 5 things. 

Especially 2. Understanding Half lives is essential to everything in the world. Including humans themselves.

When you survive Chernobyl but mother of dragons burns you and your child anyways

0659899B-A25B-4CC9-8DAE-5E9D45B6852F.jpeg

E5B1E98D-92C7-4906-B109-C6425EB08DC3.jpeg

Edited by ARSEN
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, ARSEN said:

Did anyone watched 2nd episode?

I did.  Very impressive

• Pie 1

On 5/18/2019 at 6:32 AM, ARSEN said:

Did anyone watched 2nd episode?

So far, the series is going a good job of capturing the mentality of the state administration's mindset and how it affected the people.  It also captures a very real look at some of the outright heroic spirit of the people as so many stepped up.  I fully expect that will continue to show as they recount the hundreds of people that came out to help with the cleanup effort.

Whoever did this really did their homework.  I knew almost nothing about the miners in this event.  I knew more about the firemen (and those accounts were pretty damn gruesome).

This series is really capturing in a stunning way just how so much of the USSR operated with respect to the body politik and the people it oversaw to outline the severe disconnect between the two.  I would hope that public education would include this series as supplemental education to help make history come alive for students. 

Too much of history has become some detached recollection of events without delving into the why and how things went down the way they did.  This would help take a lot of the MMQB mindset out of how history is presented these days.

• Pie 1