Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

TheSpecialJuan

REPORT: Panthers interested in Gerald McCoy

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

We have almost $10 million in cap space now even before the Kalil space in a mere week.  Rookie salaries are a non-factor at this point.  We can afford McCoy unless he's asking a stupid amount of money in year one.  By that I'm talking millions in the mid-teens.  The Panthers may simply get outbid by someone willing to overpay for McCoy and if that's the case, I'm glad we don't have the extra $5+ million in cap space to even entertain the idea.  He's not worth blowing up the cap for.

While I agree he isn't worth blowing up the cap for, won't Burns/Little be about 4m of the 10?  I think McCoy will sign higher than 6m, but less than 10.  I wouldn't see that range as an over pay.  Also wouldn't want the Panthers to pay closer to the 10m mark.

21 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

We could land McCoy perhaps even on a discount if he thinks we are his best chance to stay warm and go to a contender. It might take a 3 year deal for 33 mil with a 10 mil signing bonus and all of year 1 and half of year 2 salaries guaranteed. You could sign him for a cap hit the same as what you pick up from Kalil which was around 7 mil this year. Poe is a free agent next year so what you pick up not signing him will pay for McCoy next year so you are only carrying both salaries for 2019 and you get a cap friendly deal on McCoy. The more I think about the idea of a front line of McCoy, Short and Poe the more sense it makes to bring him here if he cares more about going to a contender than just making the most money. If he is hungry then we need him here.

I get we are all Panther fans but I wouldn’t consider the Panthers a contender or ‘all in’ this upcoming seasons. Maybe for Rivera, but for the team there are way too many what ifs and hopes that need to happen.

Cams shoulder, dline changing overnight, secondary getting better overnight without a change. LT position is to be filled from a rookie which is against the odds.

Sure you could tell me all the upside and positive views on those subjects but we’re not talking as fans but defining contender.

Not just a contender, a contender in the sense a prime vet would take less money to come here for a chance at a trophy and the Panthers are certainly not that.

Those kind of teams have a healthy, consistent QB. A solid, highly ranked defense. And most likely, at the least a top finisher of their division last year and playoff appearance. Stability and consistency.

Arguing we will be that this year, is going to take a lot of convincing and exploring the all the what if’s and but ifs that’s frankly, contenders don’t have.

If McCoy comes here it will be because he was offered decent money.

7 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

While I agree he isn't worth blowing up the cap for, won't Burns/Little be about 4m of the 10?  I think McCoy will sign higher than 6m, but less than 10.  I wouldn't see that range as an over pay.  Also wouldn't want the Panthers to pay closer to the 10m mark.

Burns/Little are right at $4 million, but considering the Kalil space, Torrey Smith possible cut and a potential restructure that could be out there, the $4 million isn't a game changer if McCoy isn't looking to hit the lottery.

McCoy, KK, Poe, Luke, Reid, and DJax?

ummm even I might get a little excited about that D.

Via PFT:

According to Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times, McCoy has drawn interest from 10 teams with offers coming in up to $11 million per season. The amount of interest has reportedly “overwhelmed” McCoy and he appreciates the decision by the Glazer family to release him when they did.

McCoy will visit the Cleveland Browns on Friday. The Carolina Panthers, Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals and Indianapolis Colts are among teams reportedly interested in McCoy as well.

• Pie 2

Everyone is forgetting the cap break we get once Kalils release goes through in June. If we cut Smith, we’ll have enough money to sign both McCoy and Tre Boston. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

11 mil?? ... might as well cancel that flight. 

Honestly, if we want him bad enough we can make it happen... esp if we're planning on cutting Poe next year. 

56 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Via PFT:

According to Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times, McCoy has drawn interest from 10 teams with offers coming in up to $11 million per season. The amount of interest has reportedly “overwhelmed” McCoy and he appreciates the decision by the Glazer family to release him when they did.

McCoy will visit the Cleveland Browns on Friday. The Carolina Panthers, Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals and Indianapolis Colts are among teams reportedly interested in McCoy as well.

We can afford him, the issue is can we get a meeting before he makes a decision?

McCoy/Poe/Short is a good start at D line. Add those young speed rushers and our defense could be better than expected this year.

I would offer him 11 mil 1 year deal. McCoy is still an impact D lineman, and he is a leader. He fits the Panthers organization for sure.

52 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

Great news, hopefully we can get a visit. I think playing in the same division as his former team could play a huge factor.

Looks to me he is definitely keeping his options open to play for a competitive team, I just don’t know if he will like us enough to maybe take less than what he would get on top of us having creating room for him....

On nfl.com they are saying we have 9 mil in cap space.  Wonder if thats before or after june 1st cuts.  Regardless 9 mil gets us close.

I like McCoy and he fills a need but if the asking price is $11 million per year, seems like we're priced out of this bidding war. Plus we'd be paying for his post-prime years. 

LDE - Kawann Short    NT- Dontari Poe     RDE- Gerald McCoy

OLB- Bruce Irvin     MLB- Shaq Thompson     MLB- Luke Kuechly      OLB- Mario Addison 

• Pie 1

We could fit him under the cap at $11M by releasing Torrey Smith, but that would also leave virtually no money for anything else *cough*FS*cough*