Carolina Huddle

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Devil Doc

Kicker?

16 minutes ago, Varking said:

He said it was a 2 million dollar hit to cut him. We have over 2 million in space left. Slye would get a minimal contract. 

That’s the cost on top of his 3.5 cap hit already. So in your scenario, we pay 6M this year for a rookie PK who may or may not be good.  You claimed it wasn’t terrible to throw away 2M(or 5.6M?) because of how the team is set up. Why does it matter what he said. Didn’t you research it before that statement? 

41 minutes ago, Toomers said:

That’s the cost on top of his 3.5 cap hit already. So in your scenario, we pay 6M this year for a rookie PK who may or may not be good.  You claimed it wasn’t terrible to throw away 2M(or 5.6M?) because of how the team is set up. Why does it matter what he said. Didn’t you research it before that statement? 

We may end up paying 6M this year for a rookie PK to play who may or may not be good while still keeping a roster spot for Gano. I didn't need to look up Gano's cap hit to know it wasn't a large hit like 10 mil. If his argument was 2 million dollars difference I don't believe that money is going to be what makes or breaks this situation. 

2 minutes ago, Varking said:

We may end up paying 6M this year for a rookie PK to play who may or may not be good while still keeping a roster spot for Gano. I didn't need to look up Gano's cap hit to know it wasn't a large hit like 10 mil. If his argument was 2 million dollars difference I don't believe that money is going to be what makes or breaks this situation. 

Who’s argument? I’ve already explained it involves more than just 2M. And the only question was why throwing away 2M or much more wasn’t terrible. So far the answer is “because I said so”. 

Graham probably figured the young kicker would come in, miss a few/make a few....not make much of an impression, all is well, heal up for the regular season. 

Six of six with a 50+ yarder for good measure. That puts his performance pretty much on par with Butker’s rookie camp.

I still don't see us cutting Gano.  I am starting to think that perhaps two kickers make the initial 53 man roster, and then we IR Gano immediately with designation to (potentially) return.  We then go into the season with Slye as our kicker and see how he does.  We leave Gano on IR if Slye does well, or let him return and cut Slye if he doesn't do well.

Next off season, all bets are off.

9 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Who’s argument? I’ve already explained it involves more than just 2M. And the only question was why throwing away 2M or much more wasn’t terrible. So far the answer is “because I said so”. 

TheFuzz. The person I was originally replying to. Terrible isn't spending two more million dollars to have a kicker active on gameday but it does suck to have two roster spots taken up for one kicker. If Gano can't go opening day we are going to have to make a decision of carry two kickers or spend 2 million extra that we have right now to cut one. We aren't in a terrible situation. So "throwing away", which I don't see it as throwing away money, isn't terrible. Terrible would be having no kicker suite up on gameday. I guess I need to know what your football definition of terrible is. 

16 minutes ago, ellis said:

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51af49e81b35e329e1e22

2 minutes ago, Varking said:

TheFuzz. The person I was originally replying to. Terrible isn't spending two more million dollars to have a kicker active on gameday but it does suck to have two roster spots taken up for one kicker. If Gano can't go opening day we are going to have to make a decision of carry two kickers or spend 2 million extra that we have right now to cut one. We aren't in a terrible situation. So "throwing away", which I don't see it as throwing away money, isn't terrible. Terrible would be having no kicker suite up on gameday. I guess I need to know what your football definition of terrible is. 

Paying 5.6M to a PK to go away. That’s terrible. 9M guaranteed to a PK with one good year. His whole contract, like I(and many others) predicted it would be when it was signed. 

Believe me, no one wants Gano gone more than me. But you don’t just throw 5.5M away and consider it not terrible. 

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

Paying 5.6M to a PK to go away. That’s terrible. 9M guaranteed to a PK with one good year. His whole contract, like I(and many others) predicted it would be when it was signed. 

Believe me, no one wants Gano gone more than me. But you don’t just throw 5.5M away and consider it not terrible. 

And if he isn't a good kicker anymore? Running a guy out there not fully healed or not right, costing us games, is terrible regardless of his contract. The best ability is availability. If Gano can't get out there he is no good to us. And if he can get out there and can't kick like he did a few years ago, he hurts us more than he helps. Slye has been making everything. Keeping a guy who is missing easy kicks and letting Butker and Slye walk away for nothing would be terrible. 

4 minutes ago, Varking said:

And if he isn't a good kicker anymore? Running a guy out there not fully healed or not right, costing us games, is terrible regardless of his contract. The best ability is availability. If Gano can't get out there he is no good to us. And if he can get out there and can't kick like he did a few years ago, he hurts us more than he helps. Slye has been making everything. Keeping a guy who is missing easy kicks and letting Butker and Slye walk away for nothing would be terrible. 

I’m not arguing against any of that. Like I said, I never wanted him signed. Gano only had 1M dead cap hit when we released Butker. Plus we used a draft pick to secure an extra year. Would have been easy to cut him them. This time has much more wasted money involved.  Not knowing anything about his health, there’s no way to pinpoint a proper course of action. 

The correct move was, is, and will be the same.  Gano should have been shown the door, and we should have rolled with Butker.

Marty Hurney and Ron Rivera are bad for this football team, and I think Tepper is catching on.