Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Devil Doc

Kicker?

10 minutes ago, TheRed said:

For not having a dog in this fight, the bolded suggests otherwise. This is specifically what I meant when I mentioned being consistent.

No dog in the fight huh?

Hey, no hard feelings, enjoy the rest of preseason :Eggplant_Emoji_Icon_42x42:

No dog in the fight. I am not pulling for one over the other. The cha cha slide stuff would just be icing on the cake though. And same to you!

In related news, Chicago just cut one of their 2 kickers and it doesn't seem like they are exuding confidence in the leg of Eddie Pineiro. If he starts missing kicks in the next 2 games in particular, I think they're going to be scouring for an alternative. I'd be surprised, particularly after Slye made that 50+ yarder against them, if Chicago didn't at least see if we'd be willing to take a conditional late round pick for him.

Thought I would revive this old thread since RR said today that Slye would definitely kick Thursday. Not sure yet about Gano.  Wtf.  If Gano hasn’t kicked all preseason we are not gonna cut Slye.  

Could Gano be going to IR?   That means we will have to keep 2 guys on the original 53 and then move Gano 24 hrs later. 

Im starting to really question whether Gano would even make it through the season.  

Would we outright cut him?  

12 hours ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Thought I would revive this old thread since RR said today that Slye would definitely kick Thursday. Not sure yet about Gano.  Wtf.  If Gano hasn’t kicked all preseason we are not gonna cut Slye.  

Could Gano be going to IR?   That means we will have to keep 2 guys on the original 53 and then move Gano 24 hrs later. 

Im starting to really question whether Gano would even make it through the season.  

Would we outright cut him?  

If Slye continues to nail these kicks I could see us cutting Gano, It is hard to justify extra roster spots for kickers. 

20 minutes ago, Varking said:

If Slye continues to nail these kicks I could see us cutting Gano, It is hard to justify extra roster spots for kickers. 

Gano would cost us an extra 2M against the cap if he's cut.

Just now, thefuzz said:

Gano would cost us an extra 2M against the cap if he's cut.

The roster is basically set so a 2 million loss in the grand scheme of things isn't terrible. 

Just now, Varking said:

The roster is basically set so a 2 million loss in the grand scheme of things isn't terrible. 

I really like when stupid contracts make you do things that "aren't terrible".

Just a boneheaded move.

8 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I really like when stupid contracts make you do things that "aren't terrible".

Just a boneheaded move.

Keeping an injured kicker taking up roster slots to have to carry an additional kicker is boneheaded. 

15 minutes ago, Varking said:

I gotta hear how this works. Do tell how we have so much money we can take a 5.6M cap hit for a PK and it isn’t terrible? Plus pay another one. 

8 minutes ago, Toomers said:

I gotta hear how this works. Do tell how we have so much money we can take a 5.6M cap hit for a PK and it isn’t terrible? Plus pay another one. 

He said it was a 2 million dollar hit to cut him. We have over 2 million in space left. Slye would get a minimal contract. 

Whether it's a cap hit this year or next year, if your kicker is struggling to stay healthy and he will be 33 next season, the writing is on the wall. No matter how angry certain fans might get about that reality, it's a reality nonetheless.

16 minutes ago, Varking said:

He said it was a 2 million dollar hit to cut him. We have over 2 million in space left. Slye would get a minimal contract. 

That’s the cost on top of his 3.5 cap hit already. So in your scenario, we pay 6M this year for a rookie PK who may or may not be good.  You claimed it wasn’t terrible to throw away 2M(or 5.6M?) because of how the team is set up. Why does it matter what he said. Didn’t you research it before that statement? 

41 minutes ago, Toomers said:

That’s the cost on top of his 3.5 cap hit already. So in your scenario, we pay 6M this year for a rookie PK who may or may not be good.  You claimed it wasn’t terrible to throw away 2M(or 5.6M?) because of how the team is set up. Why does it matter what he said. Didn’t you research it before that statement? 

We may end up paying 6M this year for a rookie PK to play who may or may not be good while still keeping a roster spot for Gano. I didn't need to look up Gano's cap hit to know it wasn't a large hit like 10 mil. If his argument was 2 million dollars difference I don't believe that money is going to be what makes or breaks this situation. 

2 minutes ago, Varking said:

We may end up paying 6M this year for a rookie PK to play who may or may not be good while still keeping a roster spot for Gano. I didn't need to look up Gano's cap hit to know it wasn't a large hit like 10 mil. If his argument was 2 million dollars difference I don't believe that money is going to be what makes or breaks this situation. 

Who’s argument? I’ve already explained it involves more than just 2M. And the only question was why throwing away 2M or much more wasn’t terrible. So far the answer is “because I said so”.