Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

RoaringRiot

Butler Chicago Breakdown

The way people were talking, I was expecting to see Butler face down in the dirt every snap. Eh, like someone else mentioned, seems like he's been asked to play against his strengths out of necessity. Would be interesting if he could lose like 20 lbs and get some looks at 3-4 DE more. 

3 minutes ago, My Goodness My Guinness said:

The way people were talking, I was expecting to see Butler face down in the dirt every snap. Eh, like someone else mentioned, seems like he's been asked to play against his strengths out of necessity. Would be interesting if he could lose like 20 lbs and get some looks at 3-4 DE more. 

Face down in the dirt is actually better than his current method of turning his back to the OL and being washed multiple gaps away from the gap he’s responsible for. I’m still curious what these “strengths” are. 

1 hour ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Image result for vincent richardson panthers

Shortly after being kicked out of the film school at prestigious NYU for groping a stagehand, Vincent was hospitalized after ODing on too many CBD oil infused gummy bears. 

• Poo 1
  • Cargos 1

Thanks @RoaringRiot

Heres my deal- In these breakdowns what gets overlooked, whom his competition is. Bunch of backups and he did not stand out and has not in the last 3 full years. If you changed his number and name, he looks like a third stringer that was drafted in the Seventh round. At this stage it doesnt matter much if hes on the 53 or cut(Tho i hope panthers find a better player). Just disappointing cause he truly has the best physical tool kit on the panthers and its year 3(i judge starting year 2). He hasnt got better and is a iffy inactive each game-day. 

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 2

Bottom line is if The Panthers want a NFL champship level team. Vernon Butler hasn't shown any signs of being worthy of being on the roster. Yes he is big and strong I guess. Maybe he can be a star in Canada. So far in the NFL, I just don't see it.

All we need is for Butler to be a solid rotational piece this year.  

Butler has more to gain than the team does b/c this is a contract year for him

I hope for both parties we are pleasantly surprised by his play this year.

His roster spot might be dependent on what other DL get released around the league. Even if he makes our initial 53, I'm not sure he'll stick there long if the right vet fit is available.

He's a flat out disappointment. That said.. he probably is better than any street meat we pickup after cuts.. most won't have his natural ability.. and who know maybe the light..nah he's a bust.. but he's our own bust sadly... he's a jag.

Most fans, will always consider him a bust because where he was draft. Or they bring up love as an example of an undrafted playing playing better. 

At this point, I really don't care where he was drafted.  It's a moot point. Especially if you look at the draft as just another means of acquiring talent.  

He's on the team, he's not costing us much, and he is a part of a rotation that gives us one of the best defensive lines in the league. 

Eventually the team will move on, and the fans will find somebody else to complain about. 

Year after year, it never changes. 

• Pie 4

3 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Most fans, will always consider him a bust because where he was draft. Or they bring up love as an example of an undrafted playing playing better. 

At this point, I really don't care where he was drafted.  It's a moot point. Especially if you look at the draft as just another means of acquiring talent.  

He's on the team, he's not costing us much, and he is a part of a rotation that gives us one of the best defensive lines in the league. 

Eventually the team will move on, and the fans will find somebody else to complain about. 

Very good take.  If he were a 4th or 5th rounder there would likely be no real discussion.  Hind sight is a bitch but sunk cost is sunk cost.   He’s on the roster and we are better off keeping him than letting him go at this point in time.  

5 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Yep, it’s amazing how much we discuss players not on the team or a backup DL. There is no question about whether or not he’s disappointing. That’s settled. Wanting to sign a cut player because he “was” a first round pick.

I almost wonder if people would care way less if he was pick #1 of the 2nd round. I also don’t think people in here realize the difference in expectation between top 10 picks and pick 30. I’d honestly say the talent pool at 30 is closer to a 3rd rounder than to the top 5 picks. In 2016, the top 5 picks were Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Nick Bosa, Ezekiel Elliott and Jalen Ramsey and the last 5 picks of the 1st (including #32 since Pats lost their first) were Joshua Garnett, Robert  Nkemdiche, Butler, Germain Ifedi and Emmanuel Ogbah. Damn big difference. 

On 8/14/2019 at 2:08 PM, Ivan The Awesome said:

I think the problem with Butler is that other non high draft pick guys are out playing him. 

The narrative that Butler can be "useful" despite his high draft pick status is a bit asinine. 

Especially given that he has had some really good talent around him. Star wasn't a stat sheet guy but he was always there, why? Because of the double teams he demanded and the pressure he applied which in turn made other players better and flourish. I don't see that with Butler. I've never seen him command anything. 

Also at the time of I remember correctly. Gman made the pick basses on the fact that KK was still not signed. Maybe a contingency plan?

Bad draft pick doesn't equal bad player. If he turns out to be a quality rotational guy, re-sign him for as much, but not more.