Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Smithers

Reid rips into the NFL...again

10 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Interestingly enough he waited until he lost his starting qb gig to do it. Not much of a hero in my book

I think Jay-Z will be seen as the sence of reason and bring the NFL into the future. With Reid and Kap being after thoughts. It was a win/win.

Edited by Snake

I have no problem with Reid ripping the NFL (objectively speaking, he's right).  I also support his decision to kneel if he wants.  Kneeling has always been a sign of respect until the right-wingers wanted to create a controversy.

That being said, there is one thing I take issue with Reid on:  his continuing to bang the drum for teams (including the Panthers and going as far to talk to Tepper) about signing Colin Kaepernick.  Kaepernick has been out of football for years at this point.  Maybe he was blackballed some in the beginning (however Kaepernick had shown clear signs of regression and was terrible in 2016), but in the almost 3 years away from the game, he has lost his conditioning, and I truly don't believe he could come in and help a team at this point.

And that's not even getting into the media circus... Right or wrong, no coach wants to deal with that all season unless the ROI in terms of wins is worth it.  NFL coaches have tremendous pressure on them... and none of them are going to invite more pressure without there being a huge upside to adding a player.

Reid has objectivity of the NFL situation, and he is obviously a good and true friend to Kaepernick, but because of that, he has no objectivity in understanding how Colin is actually viewed by objective observers at this point from just a pure football standpoint.

The Panthers signed Reid b/c he is a good football player and can help them win games in the present.  Simple as that.

Kaepernick probably could've helped some teams over the past few seasons.  That time is past.  His NFL career is over, and he or anyone else can blame whomever, but that is the reality.

I don't care if Reid is friends with him (and supporting him on social causes), but it past time now to let the idea of him being blackballed from signing with a team go.

Reid has become a leader in the secondary (having them stay after to catch balls, etc.), but beyond that, his job in regards to this team is to support the players on this current team this current year.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

That being said, there is one thing I take issue with Reid on:  his continuing to bang the drum for teams (including the Panthers and going as far to talk to Tepper) about signing Colin Kaepernick.  Kaepernick has been out of football for years at this point.  Maybe he was blackballed some in the beginning (however Kaepernick had shown clear signs of regression and was terrible in 2016), but in the almost 3 years away from the game, he has lost his conditioning, and I truly don't believe he could come in and help a team at this point.

I wouldn't call it being blackballed but he did reject a contract offer from Niners and turned it down because he wanted to be a starter and not a back-up. He pretty much walked away from football on his own accord and unfortunately he was talked into doing certain things by his girlfriend like suing the NFL because no team had a need for a starting QB but may have needed a back-up. He was offered QB back-up contracts from Ravens and Broncos but he refused them to. He pretty much put himself in this predicament. He did show digression because all of his throws were erratic and they were just flung all over the field missing WR's and were uncatchable.

• Beer 2