Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

g5jamz

California to ban use of facial recognition on police body cameras

6 minutes ago, TPanther920 said:

Why? 

because, mr. "i need government to be my mommy," the police do not have a right to know your identity by default just because they looked at you.

not only should facial recognition be banned but there are 2 other very important things that must happen immediately.

1. the body cams cannot ever turned off, and if their camera is disconnected or covered in the line of duty, they're fired. 2. police wear trackers that monitor their location and records audio at all times while they are on duty.

these are the first 2 bare minimum reforms that need to happen before they even get consideration for expanding their capabilities.

4 minutes ago, rodeo said:

because, mr. "i need government to be my mommy," the police do not have a right to know your identity by default just because they looked at you.

not only should facial recognition be banned but there are 2 other very important things that must happen immediately.

1. the body cams cannot ever turned off, and if their camera is disconnected or covered in the line of duty, they're fired. 2. police wear trackers that monitor their location and records audio at all times while they are on duty.

these are the first 2 bare minimum reforms that need to happen before they even get consideration for expanding their capabilities.

I have no problem with 1 or 2. LE and their accusers will both be held accountable. Why shouldn't LE know who they are dealing with? You are photographed and videoed all day everywhere and no one seems to mind. The bitching occurs when criminals might actually get arrested. 

Edited by TPanther920

Just now, TPanther920 said:

I have no problem with 1 or 2. LE and their accusers will both be held accountable. Why shouldn't LE know who they are dealing with? You are photographed and videoed all day everywhere and no one seems to mind. The bitching occurs when criminals might actually get arrested. 

they can photograph and video all they want, this isn't about them being able to video. video is encouraged. facial recognition software is what this is about, which gives them the ability to instantly know your identity.

that's a violation of the fourth amendment to the constitution. there's a reason they're not allowed to demand your ID if you haven't committed a crime or without probable cause. with facial recognition they won't even have to demand your ID, they'll already have your ID.

and that's if it's not a false positive and you are arrested or killed because you look like a wanted murderer and the software was wrong, which happens quite often.

• Pie 1

it appears either 24 or 28 states have stop and identify laws. If I am stopped by LE what constitutes  'reasonable suspicion"? Why would they stop me if they didn't suspect something was up or believed I was a suspect?  If I am detained because I refused to ID myself I am asking for an even more intrusive search. A simple "my name is" is all that is required. You are not required to say anything else.

45 minutes ago, TPanther920 said:

it appears either 24 or 28 states have stop and identify laws. If I am stopped by LE what constitutes  'reasonable suspicion"? Why would they stop me if they didn't suspect something was up or believed I was a suspect?  If I am detained because I refused to ID myself I am asking for an even more intrusive search. A simple "my name is" is all that is required. You are not required to say anything else.

check your privilege

the rest of your argument is just authoritarian bs

• Pie 2

11 hours ago, TPanther920 said:

Why? 

The truth is, Because facial recognition cannot pick up darker completions nearly as well as lighter. Leading to an absurdly high wrongful arrest count. 

Facial recognition isn't prosecuting anyone.  It's helping narrow suspects.  No different than some random dude sketching based on eyewitness accounts.  

18 minutes ago, g5jamz said:

Facial recognition isn't prosecuting anyone.  It's helping narrow suspects.  No different than some random dude sketching based on eyewitness accounts.  

Stop and frisk.  Helping narrow suspects. 

52 minutes ago, Fryfan said:

Stop and frisk.  Helping narrow suspects. 

I have never had a problem with Stop and Frisk. 

• Milkshake 3

1 hour ago, g5jamz said:

It doesn’t work at the current level. It’s as simple as that. The only reason it works in China is because they all look Chinese and the few that don’t, are easy to spot anyways.

The amount of minorities that have been wrongfully arrested because the system was built around white peoples faces is incredibly dumb. 

7 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

It doesn’t work at the current level. It’s as simple as that. The only reason it works in China is because they all look Chinese and the few that don’t, are easy to spot anyways.

The amount of minorities that have been wrongfully arrested because the system was built around white peoples faces is incredibly dumb. 

they've made it clear that this is their intention tbh. it's a feature to them, not a bug.