Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Being reported that Sports Illustrated is laying off about 40% of their staff.

Andy Benoit, a guy I know some folks here liked, is one of the victims. Near as I can tell, Jonathan Jones is not.

Haven't seen any other names I recognized just yet. Will be interested to see if the writers who broke the Jerry Richardson and Antonio Brown stories survive the purge (I would guess they will).

Multiple online sites are reporting the story. Voth cited this one from The Ringer. It sounds like an unholy mess.

Crueler and Dumber by the Day: On ‘Sports Illustrated’ and a Dark Media Landscape

Edited by Mr. Scot

I can't imagine sport's journalism is a particularly lucrative business model in 2019.  We have access to everything we want from the teams we follow via social media, statistic sites like PFF and team sites. It seems like the writing has been on the wall.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

If you want fake news, this is how we get fake news. It's sad to see it, but in a world of junk reading material no one puts any value on real journalism. Lead pipes made the Romans dumber and dumber until they lost their empire. Arsenic in wall paper made the British dumber and dumber until their wealthy became twits and lost their empire. An overabundance of bad information and click bait is doing the same to us.

Hope those folks all find work.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

27 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

If you want fake news, this is how we get fake news. It's sad to see it, but in a world of junk reading material no one puts any value on real journalism. Lead pipes made the Romans dumber and dumber until they lost their empire. Arsenic in wall paper made the British dumber and dumber until their wealthy became twits and lost their empire. An overabundance of bad information and click bait is doing the same to us.

TLDR

• Pie 2

41 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

you may be surprised how many cities in the US have lead in the water.   it certainly explains a lot.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Yep.  The new SI “model” is already out. 

Fire real journalist.  Then barely pay a bunch of nobody contractors for cheap that will just post a bunch of crap online for people to digest. 

Same folks attempted this literal move with the LA Times before a harassment issue forced them to abandon them.  Now they end up at SI

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.com/inside-themavens-plan-to-turn-sports-illustrated-into-a-1838756286/amp

seeing the same tactics across the board in all walks.   We literally have internet trolls all over the landscape right now.  I mean we even have internet personalities the US government is treating as experts in a particular field “informing” the public. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Riverboat Ron said:

Need more boobs less letters!

This is the first comment I’ve ever seen on here that isn’t complete poo. Good job sir, good job!