Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

SJTG4

The only time Rashaan Gaulden saw the field on defense

Week 1... 17 snaps

Week 6.. 1 snap

Isin't this concerning from a guy they focused on so much in the offseason? 

8 minutes ago, SJTG4 said:

Week 1... 17 snaps

Week 6.. 1 snap

Hey they called his name on a special teams play.......

He got a penalty

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

He's had trouble finding a fit. He's got the body of a free safety but he's more comfortable playing downhill and close to the line of scrimmage. I think that Big Nickel may be ultimately where he finds a home but that depends on how often we run it. But then it comes down to which unit is more effective? Base 4-3 with Luke/Shaq/Carter or Big Nickel with Luke/Shaq/Gaulden? 

Shaq plays that role better than Gaulden so it's probably more advantageous to go with the base 4-3 in that case.

8 minutes ago, SJTG4 said:

Week 1... 17 snaps

Week 6.. 1 snap

That is concerning only if we were counting on him to play significant time. At this point he is depth and still learning the safety position. It is great that Hurney did a good job with free agency and bringing in guys like Reid and Boston so we don't have to start Gaulden when he isn't our best option. We can bring him along slowly and let him focus on special teams.

• Pie 2

It's not concerning. They were challenging him to step up. He didn't. They went and got Boston and now Gaulden is playing special teams.. 

• Pie 1

Ehh. Other guys outplayed him and earned their roles. I wouldn’t give up on him. Look at Butler finally starting to get it this year. And yeah I know he has had rotational snaps every year but DL has a rotation and secondary doesn’t really so there isn’t much opportunity for Gaulden unless someone goes down.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

At this point, I'm fairly comfortable stating that he simply isn't an NFL caliber DB.

We put too much pressure on third rounders. Only 24% of defensive backs drafted in the third round become starters.

3rd Round - OL (40%) TE (39%) LB (34%) DL (27%) WR (25%) DB (24%) QB (17%) RB (16%)

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

We are going to draft a S in round 2-if we do not draft a QB.

DT in round 1

I've been begging for a 1st or 2nd round safety for a loooooooong time.

36 minutes ago, t96 said:

Ehh. Other guys outplayed him and earned their roles. I wouldn’t give up on him. Look at Butler finally starting to get it this year. And yeah I know he has had rotational snaps every year but DL has a rotation and secondary doesn’t really so there isn’t much opportunity for Gaulden unless someone goes down.

Beware the 4th year pro who finally starts to "get it" in what just happens to be a contract year.

• Beer 1

51 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Beware the 4th year pro who finally starts to "get it" in what just happens to be a contract year.

Like Norman?

• Pie 1

I would be more concerned if we were throwing him out on the field when we have better options on the roster.  As others have said, he was challenged this offseason to step up, and so far he hasn't done it.  He seems like a decent guy, but right now he isn't starter quality on our defense.