Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Mr. Scot

Rivera wants to coach for "a winner"

In an interview with Adam Schefter, Ron Rivera said he'd prefer to go to a team that's "a good draft and a couple of free agents" away from being a consistent winner. He's not interested in joining any reclamation projects.

He doesn't say so specifically, but it doesn't sound like he believes the Panthers fit that description.

Are there teams that do fit this profile who are looking for a new head coach? :thinking:

Edited by Mr. Scot

Rivera going to the Falcons would certainly make things..  interesting around here.

I’m sure his future employer will be thrilled to hear about all the opportunities they missed.  Honestly, the Falcons fit the bill on what he’s looking for.  Talented squad but very underachieving (sounds a lot like his time here).  

Maybe it's just me, but it's hard to listen to somebody say something like that and not hear "I don't really want to work that hard".

To be fair, that's not necessarily what he means but...

• Pie 9

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Maybe it's just me, but it's hard to listen to somebody say something like that and not hear "I don't really want to work that hard".

Sounds to me like a man that knows his worth. He can land the dream job in the big markets like Dallas or New York. 

• Beer 1

Like how Ron road the talent of Cam Newton in 2015 and completely screwed the pooch in the superbowl? 

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I get it and honestly I don't blame him really, but maybe it's not something you say publicly while looking to get hired by an organization. 

1 minute ago, LegioX said:

Like how Ron road the talent of Cam Newton in 2015 and completely screwed the pooch in the superbowl? 

Love how Denver did exactly what Atlanta did and we didn’t change one thing from the Arizona game. That’s why we also let the Seahawks come back in the divisional round. 

Edited by joeyxfresco
  • Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't get the sense that Ron is a good football coach. What I mean by that is, he doesn't really develop players. That's okay if you surround yourself with coaches who can develop players, but Ron doesn't really like to do that either, as they may pose a threat to his job. Outside of Norv, I don't know of any coach we have had with an outstanding pedigree (Fewell, maybe?). 

So, Ron understands his weaknesses. He can't develop players, but as long as they are already pretty good, he is good being a player's coach. He's a good person and that works well with players who don't need much coaching, but do need a mentor. Lots of players like playing for Ron. That's why he made those statements. He needs a near ready product in order to be successful.

I believe I also read an article where it describes Ron as an 8-5 coach. He doesn't  like to stay late and spend a lot of time breaking down the next opponent. That certainly showed in the Panthers efforts after bye weeks, to be sure.

• Pie 1