Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

firefox1234

Conservatives set to win majority in UK general election, according to exit poll for BBC, ITV and Sky: Should the Democrats be worried?

Recommended Posts

Open question for our TB natives, should the democrats be worried in 2020?

Edit: The exit polls were only 8 seats off in the last UK election.

Edited by firefox1234

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


conservatives polled 45% vs labour's 20% the entire way through.

every democrat candidate polls 50% to trump's 40%

so no not really, depending on who they nominate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completely different circumstance. Completely different country. 

In fact if you go back in history the US tends to trend in the opposite direction of the U.K. and Canada in recent years. 

Edited by Harbingers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rodeo said:

conservatives polled 45% vs labour's 20% the entire way through.

every democrat candidate polls 50% to trump's 40%

so no not really, depending on who they nominate.

The Labour Party's PM elect Corbyn was heavily criticized for being too far to the left. This imo probably means that the dems will probably need a moderate candidate if they have plans on taking back the WH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harbingers said:

Completely different circumstance. Completely different country. 

In fact if you go back in history the US tends to trend in the opposite direction of the U.K. and Canada. 

True, but i couldn't help but notice how the main criticism of the Labour Party was that they were moving to far to the left, so similar fears could cause the dems to lose out if they also follow the same path.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

The Labour Party's PM elect Corbyn was heavily criticized for being too far to the left. This imo probably means that the dems will probably need a moderate candidate if they have plans on taking back the WH.

what it actually means is that the media machine needs to stop criticizing people for being too far to the left because they're pushing the world toward fascism in the process. BBC was essentially the conservative campaign office.

the moderates already got their asses kicked by Trump in 2016 and it will happen again if they make that mistake.

  • Pie 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, firefox1234 said:

True, but i couldn't help but notice how the main criticism of the Labour Party was that they were moving to far to the left, so similar fears could cause the dems to lose out if they also follow the same path.

Let’s just say this. The far left has... 4 people in legislation here? 5 maybe?

The Labour Party has serious issues that don’t relate to being far left or socialist.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Harbingers said:

Let’s just say this. The far left has... 4 people in legislation here? 5 maybe?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, rodeo said:

0

Through American eyes I could see 4 or 5. Keep in mind, a good many the right think that people like Clinton & Obama are socialist.

Edited by 332nd
  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The funny thing about this is that American conservatives will cheer it & blissfully ignore the fact that the Brits will still have universal healthcare.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sanders still the most popular politician in the US but yeah if the DNC successfully fugs him over again it solidifies a 2nd term of Trump. Honestly if the economy remains "strong" (propped up by artificially low rates and an ever-increasing deficit) Trump stands a good chance of winning regardless of the Dems candidate.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm not very well-versed in UK politics but if there's anyone here who is I'm curious as to whether this is a shock? from my view it seemed that Labour had made gains in the last election and Johnson was seen as boorish but perhaps things aren't so different across the pond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, g5jamz said:

0?  LOL...omg.  Were you raised on a commune?

if you're a capitalist you're not far left. who in our government favors seizing the means of production and having worker ownership of labor?

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The prevailing opinion by those who used to vote Labour and now voted Conservative was that they simply did not like Corbyn, similar to what was said about Hillary. If there is anything the dems can take away from it is that they have to choose a likable candidate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...