Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

rayzor

How does the Rhule hire help us strategically?

Those of you who like this guy, sell me on how he helps us outsmart our opponents.

Because that's just something we haven't had in at least the last two coaching staffs.

I was led to believe that analytics was going to be an important part of the decision making process and that having an aggressive or at least progressive offensive mind was desired.

Does this guy have it? If he does, show me, because I don't like this feeling we made an epic mistake.

So far all I've seen is that he believes the players should be healthy (duh) and that his strength is essentially coaching up a team of Rudy's. Taking garbage players and turning them into average Joe's by inspiring then or whatever.

Seriously, I'm not trying to poo poo the decision. I just want to be sold on an aspect I think is important and that I'm afraid we just missed out on because a coach who built his reputation on motivating people motivated Tepper to give him a 7 year deal to the tune of about $65mil.

(Btw, I think anything more than a 5 year deal is a mammoth mistake for a HC).

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

I don’t disagree with anything you posted and I’m wondering the same things. The one encouraging thing I’ve found is that he was quoted as saying something to the effect of “hating the RPO but needing to do it to win.”

at least he seems willing to be adaptive, which is more than I can say for Ron. So at least there’s that...Right? Help.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I think a lot of your questions will be answered today at the press conference 

• Pie 5

Posted (edited)

https://footballscoop.com/news/matt-rhule-came-grips-rpo-game-smash-mouth-coach/

this is basically the only thing I can really find on anything analytical, what percentage of plays work during different down and distance and his willingness to adapt to what he sees as the right way to play the game. This dude is a ton like Rivera but willing to adapt to what is needed to win (RPO) He is not an offensive minded coach. He’s a win in the trenches and run the ball, control the game. Honestly I’m not seeing much of a difference from him and Rivera. Rivera allowed us to run college spread/ RPO’s with Cam. My hope is that he is just overall a better game manager than Ron. Because he severely lacked in that department.

Edited by TheRumGone
  • Pie 1

This doesn’t answer your question (I don’t  know), but I’m not paying attention to that 7 year number. I really just think that is Teppers way of playing nice with the other owners. 60 divided by 7 looks way better than 60 divided by 5. 

Tep is going to spend money freely to do what he wants. Not resetting the coaching market completely is his way of playing nice.

• Pie 4

Just now, The Huddler said:

I think a lot of your questions will be answered today at the press conference 

I don't put a lot of stock in introductory press conferences. Rivera sounds aggressive when he's trying to sell/market himself, but when it's game time, that foot is on the brakes.

I want/need evidence.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

There will be no real answer to whether or not this was a good hire for at least a couple of seasons of football.  That is reality.

• Pie 8

9 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

https://footballscoop.com/news/matt-rhule-came-grips-rpo-game-smash-mouth-coach/

this is basically the only thing I can really find on anything analytical, what percentage of plays work during different down and distance and his willingness to adapt to what he sees as the right way to play the game. This dude is a ton like Rivera but willing to adapt to what is needed to win (RPO) He is not an offensive minded coach. He’s a win in the trenches and run the ball, control the game.

I guess it helps a little. I like that he goes against what comes to him naturally, but the fact that it doesn't come to him naturally is bothersome. 

He's not coming across as aggressive. 

Just now, rayzor said:

I guess it helps a little. I like that he goes against what comes to him naturally, but the fact that it doesn't come to him naturally is bothersome. 

He goes for it on 4th down quite a bit specifically tells his coordinators you need this much yardage for a 4th down play on 3rd down. Not sure if that will change in the NFL. Also

“Kevin Gilbride taught me great offenses are never a play late. Bad offensive staffs always talk about what they’re going to call next.”

He appears to be smart and that would be good for outsmarting the opponent. I'm not sure it's any more complex than that. 

We shall use half trained / half wild velociraptors  on offense 

tell me he doesn't remind you of this guy

vincent_donofrio_jurassic_world.jpg

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

11 minutes ago, rayzor said:

how does he go against something that comes to him naturally when it doesn't come to him naturally? 

6 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

how does he go against something that comes to him naturally when it doesn't come to him naturally? 

techniques

the way i think he helps us is he's been having to work hard to find talent and develop them.  like he said, baylor wasn't getting the recruits bama, lsu, clemson... got.    while we don't recruit the same way this should help us in the later rounds of the draft and in adding non star fa's.