Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
Mr Mojo Risin

(NFL News) Dak Prescott Turns Down $33 Million Annually

15 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I wouldn't go as high as half, but there's definitely more than just Jones (the Brown family comes to mind; probably the Spanos family too).

I think the more common sort is the Jim Haslam / Daniel Snyder type owner who genuinely wants to win but just has no frigging idea how to do it.

Pretty sure that was Richardson. Starting to worry that Tepper might be too.

Give me a break.  Tepper has been here 1 year.

• Pie 1

You can win with a team that is very strong in multiple areas but has a decent quarterback.  Decent defined as not a liability. 

You can win with a very strong QB and a decent supporting cast, but the margin for error is less than the first scenario and the risk is greater (one injury and you are done vs being able to absorb a few injuries). 

The first of those places winning as the onus of the GM and coaches, the second places it mostly on the QB.

I think Dak is a good QB, probably in the upper end of the 11-20 group.  Maybe he even gets into the bottom rung of the top third.  But he can't consistently put up wins when the team around him has an off day, or the coaching staff has a few gaffes (which Garrett was known to do).  He also has too many games where he looks like a dud.  IMO, four of those a season is too often to be mentioned with elite.

It is possible his proven ceiling has been hindered by the coaching staff he played under.  That would be unfortunate timing  for him that his contract is up before a new staff has stepped on the field.

His agent is probably pointing to Goff, Wentz, Ryan, and Cousins as benchmarks.  He compares pretty well with that group.  The problem is the Cowboys can point to Rodgers, Brees, and Brady.  One of those gets you around $33 M in the average value of the contract per year, the other probably in the low to mid $20M range.  Wilson is at the top of the tree in average earnings right now, and Dak isn't Russell Wilson.

I don't think he is worth $33M a year, and based on results I firmly don't believe he is worth $33M a year with most of it guaranteed.  He's good, but he's not good enough to be pushing the benchmark by which others will be paid.

• Pie 2

Just my 2 cents, but I doubt he really turned down a legit offer that was that large.  Its probably just a strategic leak by the Cowboys...and even if it did add up to those numbers it was a funky deal with few guarantees and tons of room for the Cowboys to bail on the deal, making the real value far less.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

Give me a break.  Tepper has been here 1 year.

He's been the owner through two seasons.

Edited by Mr. Scot

5 hours ago, USC/panthers_11 said:

Huh? 6 years times 33 million is 198 million.

its an extension to his existing contract. So it would come out to around 38-40 million per season.

I would trade him, screw that. Start pushing back and trading them.  

the league needs a free agent cap like the draft.

13 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

its an extension to his existing contract. So it would come out to around 38-40 million per season.

But Dak isnt Mahomes. 

On 2/7/2020 at 4:24 PM, Arroz con Panther said:

That's still not how it works, man. He's a football player, not an actor. There's limited amount of money. Still, Dak's an idiot. From your point of view, he could get more, but $33 mil a year is nothing to sneeze at. I guess what we're trying to say is you don't give a guy money because of the money he's going to bring in selling jerseys for the "most known franchise."

I do, however, agree with your last sentence.

A guy turning down 33 mil because he know he can get more is an idiot? LOL 

On 2/8/2020 at 12:57 AM, Mister said:

And I’m here making 50k 

Well did you negotiate?

On 2/7/2020 at 8:01 PM, Mr. Scot said:

I wouldn't go as high as half, but there's definitely more than just Jones (the Brown family comes to mind; probably the Spanos family too).

I think the more common sort is the Jim Haslam / Daniel Snyder type owner who genuinely wants to win but just has no frigging idea how to do it.

Pretty sure that was Richardson. Starting to worry that Tepper might be too.

Nah, Richardson knew how to win he was just to damn set on keeping Hurney around for what ever reason. Thus his failing.

Tepper on the other had...

4 hours ago, Kuhndog94 said:

But Dak isnt Mahomes. 

So? Players are overpaid all the time, thanks to the strategy that Dak is currently pulling. It's most likely that dak will get 35-37 when this is all said and done.

Dak & Tom Brady rumors are rampant. 

Boys shopping Dak?  Would we trade????

Dak had a good year but he's gotta take that money and run. You'd think that the 'Boys would learn their lesson from the Rams and Eagles. 

On 2/8/2020 at 1:38 PM, Mr. Scot said:

He's been the owner through two seasons

I guess the knee jerk reactions by people that don't know what they are talking about (in regards to owning/running a franchise) about a guy who is 100x more informed than them..just makes the time seem to go by faster.

I mean, what are we even basing it on at this point?  That he hasn't fired Hurney and a few minor hires?

Edited by Tepper's Chest Hair

39 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

I guess the knee jerk reactions by people that don't know what they are talking about (in regards to owning/running a franchise) about a guy who is 100x more informed than them..just makes the time seem to go by faster.

I mean, what are we even basing it on at this point?  That he hasn't fired Hurney and a few minor hires?

Pretty sure Jim Haslam, Dan Snyder and Stephen Ross (among others) can all be said to know a hundred times more about owning a football team than anybody here as well.

How's that workin' out?