Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Ja  Rhule

Corona Virus

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

Gastonia has 312% covid cases increase over the last 2 weeks.

Is that because their numbers were so low? It reminds me of fox sports saying skips show was the fastest growing sports show in America. Well if you go from 0 to 1 it’s super growth. 
 

also, ironic too cause they had a person saying to defy the gov a few weeks ago and open back up right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


49 minutes ago, Paintballr said:

Is that because their numbers were so low? It reminds me of fox sports saying skips show was the fastest growing sports show in America. Well if you go from 0 to 1 it’s super growth. 
 

also, ironic too cause they had a person saying to defy the gov a few weeks ago and open back up right?

According to this site right now they have 549 total confirmed cases and 8 deaths https://news.google.com/covid19/map?hl=en-US&mid=/m/0n491&gl=US&ceid=US:en

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paintballr said:

So they originally had 171 confirmed cases before?

Whatever the math works out to...yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paintballr said:

Is that because their numbers were so low? It reminds me of fox sports saying skips show was the fastest growing sports show in America. Well if you go from 0 to 1 it’s super growth. 
 

also, ironic too cause they had a person saying to defy the gov a few weeks ago and open back up right?

Could be...one of SC's "hot spot" counties now has been one of the lowest number of cases in the state thus far, therefore only a handful of new cases made the rate jump significantly.  That county has 95 cases and 0 deaths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are so many people trying to make this a political thing? There are TONS of people here that don't wear a mask and not one of them is GOP.

It's mostly a youth thing.

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Why are so many people trying to make this a political thing? There are TONS of people here that don't wear a mask and not one of them is GOP.

It's mostly a youth thing.

There are a bunch of people making personal decisions to wear one or not, and then others who are making political statements by wearing one or not.  But I'd say alot of people fall into a category of just going with the environment they are in.  If they live in an area where everybody is wearing masks, then they put one on.  If the don't - they don't.  Where I live most places have a very high compliance rate (probably 70-80% or better) so unless you are personally or politically opposed to wearing a mask you feel kind of awkward being the only one without one on.  Put some of those same people who are wearing masks into a non-mask wearing area and I bet they wouldn't wear one.  Its kind of like PPE on a construction site, people tend to adapt to the environment they are in.

  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2020 at 9:49 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

All this is accurate, but it's the trial phase of vaccine development that takes the longest and there's really no way to responsibly speed up that process. A vaccine by next spring would still be producing a vaccine in a year and a half which is less than a third of the time the fastest vaccine has ever been developed. I think it's possible, but I think the people banking on a vaccine prior to the coming cold/flu season in the fall are just not being realistic.

The current Mumps vaccine was 4 years and it started in 1963 with the dad of a girl who had mumps. That’s what’s in the MMR vaccine and Merck started using it in 1967.

I think we have the tech to absolutely speed that process up and have something in record time. We haven’t seen a need for a huge vaccine effort in a long time so it’s hard to compare. I read about the Ebola vaccine and you aren’t talking about anywhere near the same problem. The problem Ebola faced was money and the need. In just the US we’ve had 10x the number of deaths due to CV in 3 months than all of the Ebola deaths in 2014-2016. People weren’t rushing to produce a vaccine that had less than 30k cases.

No idea when we’ll have one, but using Ebola as the standard isn’t a good example. There really isn’t a great one in today’s world. Heck even the tech advances in genetics and healthcare (and other assisting tech) in the past 6 years are huge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, stbugs said:

The current Mumps vaccine was 4 years and it started in 1963 with the dad of a girl who had mumps. That’s what’s in the MMR vaccine and Merck started using it in 1967.

I think we have the tech to absolutely speed that process up and have something in record time. We haven’t seen a need for a huge vaccine effort in a long time so it’s hard to compare. I read about the Ebola vaccine and you aren’t talking about anywhere near the same problem. The problem Ebola faced was money and the need. In just the US we’ve had 10x the number of deaths due to CV in 3 months than all of the Ebola deaths in 2014-2016. People weren’t rushing to produce a vaccine that had less than 30k cases.

No idea when we’ll have one, but using Ebola as the standard isn’t a good example. There really isn’t a great one in today’s world. Heck even the tech advances in genetics and healthcare (and other assisting tech) in the past 6 years are huge.

Technology can't replace trials. Technology can help in the development but trials are trials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No deaths today in NC reported.

Bottom line, if deaths do not start going up like positive cases, then the heck w shutting down.  Not sure how long we wait for the lag to catch up, I thought it was about 2-3 weeks, but here we are.  Who knows, could be 100 deaths tomorrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Technology can't replace trials. Technology can help in the development but trials are trials.

It can improve and make them quicker, both in getting them started and reporting results.

Also, not sure if you know but there’s this thing called an election happening this year. That may remove some red tape as well. Anyway, if there are viable vaccines don’t be surprised if they are ready way before you expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're expecting a vaccine to be ready in time for the election to impact it's arrival by removing red tape, I think your timeline is way off on this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, I got called an asshole in Ingles this afternoon. An old lady mocked my mask. I told her I'm not wearing it for me but to help people like you. She asked how so. I told her that the primary risk factors for severe illness from COVID are elderly age, obesity, high blood pressure, and heart disease. How many of those describe you? Hint: it was certainly two and likely all of the above. She called me an asshole. I simply replied yeah, I know. LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Meanwhile, I got called an asshole in Ingles this afternoon. An old lady mocked my mask. I told her I'm not wearing it for me but to help people like you. She asked how so. I told her that the primary risk factors for severe illness from COVID are elderly age, obesity, high blood pressure, and heart disease. How many of those describe you? Hint: it was certainly two and likely all of the above. She called me an asshole. I simply replied yeah, I know. LOL!

Ingles? You in Boone or Asheville?

You should have just starting coughing on her.

  • Poo 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      20,572
    • Most Online
      3,693

    Newest Member
    Hi Five
    Joined
  • Topics

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      149,398
    • Total Posts
      4,985,269
  • Posts

    • It’s always good to be aware of the possibilities, but man this is my honest opinion and I truly believe it to be the case: Trump is basically a giant troll that the left takes way too seriously. To infer he’s another Hitler or a Mussolini would be giving him way too much credit. In reality I think he aligns way more with an Archie Bunker type, haha.
    • Just wanted to drop in and offer my experience getting season tickets for Austin's new MLS team, if it will be in any way similar to the Charlotte FC team (which I'm guessing it won't since there's already a stadium). Austin's new stadium is being built about 15 minutes from my house so the wife and I decided to put down a $50 deposit for season tickets last summer. We completely forgot about it until we got a phone call from the team the other day telling us our window to buy tickets was open. So we got on the website to pick seats and everything decent was already picked over. Apparently there was a "premium deposit" of $100 that would have gotten us an earlier window. There were some obstructed view seats in a few decent areas still open, so we decided to sleep on it and checked in the next morning. Miraculously, there were two great seats on the back row of the center left lower bowl that we snapped up right away. The customer rep on the phone was shocked those seats were open so late in the window. They were the most expensive tier of seats (about $900 per seat) but considering Austin is such a crazy market for everything right now, and no other professional sports teams in town, we figured we could probably re-sell the tickets to most games at a profit. The location of the stadium is right in the middle of a bunch of corporate offices and a huge shopping center, and they plan to add a train line stop at the stadium, so demand will be there. Now I just hope the 2021 season actually happens.
    • duplicate post - delete
  • Masters of PIE !

×
×
  • Create New...