Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Jesse

Top 10 pressure % edge rushers

Recommended Posts

So this is something I saw on Reddit. The pressure  % is the number of snaps rushing the QB vs. the number of pressures (I assume sacks, QB hits, QB hurries). This is indicative of how well a player does regarding disrupting the passer in the NFL. I'm curious now as to what Everette Brown's numbers were... anyways now that I've give you PTSD, here are some numbers about last year's draft class and this upcoming one.

Here are the rankings from the 2019 edge rushing class coming out of college, and next to it I've written the number of sacks they posted their rookie year. 

1. Josh Allen (UK) - 26.8% | 10.5 sacks
2. Nick Bosa (OSU) - 19.7% | 9 sacks
3. Jaylon Ferguson (LAT) - 9.4% | 2.5 sacks
4. Clelin Ferrell (CLEM) - 17.4% | 4.5 sacks
5. Montez Sweat (MSU) - 17.3% | 7 sacks
6. Brian Burns (FSU) - 16.2% | 7.5 sacks
7. Maxx Crosby (EMU) - 16.2% | 10 sacks
8. Malik Reed (NEV) - 5.8% | 2 sacks
9. Porter Gustin (USC) —15.2% | 1 sack
10. Joe Jackson (MIA)—14.9% | 0 sacks

Obviously these numbers are dependent on scheme, attempted pass rushing snaps, defensive back ability, etc. Below are what the numbers are for the class of 2020. Obviously we can't Chase Young, but here are some other candidates we may look to add in day 2 or 3 of the draft.

1. Josh Uche (MICH) - 26.1%
2. Carter Coughlin (MINN) - 20.7%
3. Chase Young (OSU) - 20.4%
4. Bryce Huff (MEM) - 20.1%
5. Terry Whittington (USM) - 20%
6. Kaimana Padello (HAW) - 18.9%
7. Darrell Taylor (TEN) - 18.6%
8. Zack Baun (WISC) - 18.5%
9. Trevis Gipson (TU) - 17.6%
10. Anfernee Jennings (BAMA) - 17.4%

  • Pie 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Not sure we have the luxury of drafting an edge rusher this year. 

We need too many other positions. DT, CB, LB, CB, OG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rogue Panther said:

Not sure we have the luxury of drafting an edge rusher this year. 

We need too many other positions. DT, CB, LB, CB, OG

We have to many holes to fill to worry about filling all of them. If we draft a 4-3 edge rusher to replace Burns and Miller it's not a bad idea. Tepper has taken a hand grenade to the defense the past two years. We won't have a viable unit for some time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rogue Panther said:

Not sure we have the luxury of drafting an edge rusher this year. 

We need too many other positions. DT, CB, LB, CB, OG

You act like we have a bevy of proven NFL edge rushers. Who are they again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You act like we have a bevy of proven NFL edge rushers. Who are they again?

are you doubting THE marquis haynes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me, last year proved that it doesn't matter how good your pass rush / pass defense is if you can't stop the run.  We were actually quite good at getting to the QB and our coverage wasn't bad.  And yet . . .

I'm way more interested in drafting players to stop the run.  It won't matter how good our offense or pass rush is until we can stop people from running it at us for easy first downs.  I'm afraid that's going to start with us drafting a bunch of un-sexy DLine and possibly a linebacker.  

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Snake said:

We have to many holes to fill to worry about filling all of them. If we draft a 4-3 edge rusher to replace Burns and Miller it's not a bad idea. Tepper has taken a hand grenade to the defense the past two years. We won't have a viable unit for some time. 

Tepper? You mean Ron Rivera and Marty Hurney. Why do people insist on blaming Tepper for player personel issues. Rivera tried going to a 3-4 and Marty drafted accordingly. Every single person looked at our defense last year before the season and thought it was scary. When you have KK, McCoy, and Poe up front and Luke behind them things should have been good. Can't fault them for injuries. Also nobody could have predicted Luke to retire. But it's all Teppers fault I reckon per Huddle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jesse said:

So this is something I saw on Reddit. The pressure  % is the number of snaps rushing the QB vs. the number of pressures (I assume sacks, QB hits, QB hurries). This is indicative of how well a player does regarding disrupting the passer in the NFL. I'm curious now as to what Everette Brown's numbers were... anyways now that I've give you PTSD, here are some numbers about last year's draft class and this upcoming one.

Here are the rankings from the 2019 edge rushing class coming out of college, and next to it I've written the number of sacks they posted their rookie year. 

1. Josh Allen (UK) - 26.8% | 10.5 sacks
2. Nick Bosa (OSU) - 19.7% | 9 sacks
3. Jaylon Ferguson (LAT) - 9.4% | 2.5 sacks
4. Clelin Ferrell (CLEM) - 17.4% | 4.5 sacks
5. Montez Sweat (MSU) - 17.3% | 7 sacks
6. Brian Burns (FSU) - 16.2% | 7.5 sacks
7. Maxx Crosby (EMU) - 16.2% | 10 sacks
8. Malik Reed (NEV) - 5.8% | 2 sacks
9. Porter Gustin (USC) —15.2% | 1 sack
10. Joe Jackson (MIA)—14.9% | 0 sacks

Obviously these numbers are dependent on scheme, attempted pass rushing snaps, defensive back ability, etc. Below are what the numbers are for the class of 2020. Obviously we can't Chase Young, but here are some other candidates we may look to add in day 2 or 3 of the draft.

1. Josh Uche (MICH) - 26.1%
2. Carter Coughlin (MINN) - 20.7%
3. Chase Young (OSU) - 20.4%
4. Bryce Huff (MEM) - 20.1%
5. Terry Whittington (USM) - 20%
6. Kaimana Padello (HAW) - 18.9%
7. Darrell Taylor (TEN) - 18.6%
8. Zack Baun (WISC) - 18.5%
9. Trevis Gipson (TU) - 17.6%
10. Anfernee Jennings (BAMA) - 17.4%

Have to wonder if the guys who have high pressure rates from small schools were going against terrible opponents. That said, a guy from East Michigan got 10 sacks for the Raiders last year from the 3rd-4th end?

 I watched a couple of games with Uche and was impressed. Gipson also looked impressive at the senior bowl and would be a very late round pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You act like we have a bevy of proven NFL edge rushers. Who are they again?

I like them better than the DTs we got to stop the run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we weren't transitioning back to primarily a 4-3, I would love to bring on Anfernee Jennings to rotate with Christian Miller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Icege said:

If we weren't transitioning back to primarily a 4-3...

This is important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Rogue Panther said:

I guess we got room for 1 DE. 

R1: DT

R2: CB

R3: OG/C

R4: LB

R5: DE

R5: CB

R6: S

R7: LB

These type of list are over optimistic.

In reality you will be thrilled if 3 of those players are average starters this year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...