Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
GOAT

BREAKING: Panthers sign CB Eli Apple

7 hours ago, cardiackat88. said:

Now sign Prince Amakumara?

Raiders already did that.

People here automatically think that if you're a 1st round pick who isn't a hall of famer you suck.  Is Eli Apple good?  Nah.  Is he average?  Yeah.  He can get the job done.  I wouldn't say he and Bradberry are drastically different in talent by any stretch.  I'd give Bradberry the nod, but not by much.

Posted (edited)

Even thought I personally liked the player and person and would have liked to resign Cocktrell, this is not bad. With a limited cap space and a plan to be competitive with the right type players (speed & youth) but maybe not win a lot of games, what else could we have expected? If Rhule/Snow can turn around Apple then watch out. This team with a few more picks and signings and cap space in 2021 could be dangerous.

I just want to see a team that fights every game and gives other teams fits, not letting them come into BofA and walk all over us. Even if we don't win, just give the fans a good hard fought game and we can get behind them nice and loud. 

Edited by musicman

A one year deal is great for Apple. Light it up and someone is going to pay him big money. As for the “Tank for Trevor” nonsense. How are you going to tell players like CMC, DJ Moore, Shaq etc that you aren’t trying to win games this year to draft a rookie with potential? You want these players to just throw away a year of their potentially short careers? It sends a bad message to the team and can ruin its culture. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

A one year deal is great for Apple. Light it up and someone is going to pay him big money. As for the “Tank for Trevor” nonsense. How are you going to tell players like CMC, DJ Moore, Shaq etc that you aren’t trying to win games this year to draft a rookie with potential? You want these players to just throw away a year of their potentially short careers? It sends a bad message to the team and can ruin its culture. 

You don't have to tell them not to compete. Just make Eli Apple and Donte Jackson the starting corners.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

Usually I am all for brining young and physically talented guys in on prove it deals. His attitude is not how I would start year 1 building a new culture.

If we didn't actually need him to play and were in year 3 or so this would make a lot more sense. I would have rather brought in an aging vet that could teach the young guys something good.

15 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Yall act like there is a All pro CB available. 

There was- Bradberry.

Meh. It's a one year prove it deal. The guy is on his third team in a five year career -- as a former first rounder (10th pick). 

Maybe he will finally mature here and produce as originally expected. It could happen, I guess. Short term deal with a brand new coaching staff probably says if he isn't teachable and a team player he won't make it past training camp.

What he could offer, though, even if he just has a pedestrian performance, is that he has experience against the receivers of the NFCSouth and has practiced against Drew Brees for an entire season and a half. Beyond that, he can offer us some insights into the New Orleans defensive schemes and tendencies.

All of that would require him to have wised up immensely. 

• Beer 3

9 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

There was- Bradberry.

Really now? What season was his all-pro.season?

I really like James (at times) but let's not act like he was completely shutdown. WRs like Golladay fuged his poo.

Anyway with the pick of Troy Pride Jr and now this signing it's safe to assume we're gonna be running a LOT of man.

I'm actually eager to see DJax play man to man more.

• Milkshake 1

34 minutes ago, Rags said:

Really now? What season was his all-pro.season?

I really like James (at times) but let's not act like he was completely shutdown. WRs like Golladay fuged his poo.

Nobody claimed he was shut-down, least of all myself. However, he was the best (it's all relative) on the roster at the time and, with no intentions of upgrading the position, the team let him walk. How this team continues to let good players walk without a plan to fill the hole is beyond me, but it's totally a Hurney thing because he's been doing it for years.

Signing Apple to replace Bradberry is like drafting Grier to replace Cam... oh, wait....

13 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Nobody claimed he was shut-down, least of all myself. However, he was the best (it's all relative) on the roster at the time and, with no intentions of upgrading the position, the team let him walk. How this team continues to let good players walk without a plan to fill the hole is beyond me, but it's totally a Hurney thing because he's been doing it for years.

Signing Apple to replace Bradberry is like drafting Grier to replace Cam... oh, wait....

You did claim he was an all-pro. Which is false.

In any case, that's football. We're not the first team that let a player walk to save money and replace him with a lesser player. The entire huddle all off-season, espcially post draft, wanted us to sign a corner knowing the market was thin,  and then when we do y'all wanna bitch about which B- cornerback we signed.

This isn't a one year process, everyone knew that. I'd love to hear your amazing plan to restock on cornerbacks this season or why looking short term and giving Bradberry 32 million garunteed (something people love giving Hurney poo for is resigning our players to what they feel they're owed) is the best solution.

1 hour ago, Anybodyhome said:

There was- Bradberry.

Bradberry was never credited with an All Pro status...

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, The Huddler said:

Matt Rhule will get him to buy into the team. 

I believe you are onto something here.

My hunch is some player already on the Panthers roster who is very close to Apple vouched for him and convinced Rhule that between them they will make it work. 

Rhule has already made it clear distractions will not be tolerated and the Panthers will be a "serious football place"....Apple won't be allowed to get in the way of that.

Edited by RASTAN66

2 hours ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

People here automatically think that if you're a 1st round pick who isn't a hall of famer you suck.  Is Eli Apple good?  Nah.  Is he average?  Yeah.  He can get the job done.  I wouldn't say he and Bradberry are drastically different in talent by any stretch.  I'd give Bradberry the nod, but not by much.

While I will agree with you when you say Apple is average or OK, I would say he is different than Bradberry.  Bradberry at his worst was solid, at his best he was very good.  He never made alot of plays on the ball or he would be in the All-Pro conversation.  There is a reason that Bradberry was one of the first corners sign for 15 million a year and Apple is still available at the end of May.  You can get by with Apple just don't think that you will get the same kind of play as what Bradberry gave us last year.