Carolina Huddle

Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Igo

2020 Carolina Panthers Preview

Major beef here is that the Vernon Butler loss should actually be in under the addition heading. Addition by subtraction. 

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Pretty good and long breakdown (that's what she said).  Just an FYI, the only player still on this team from the 2014 draft is Tre Boston.  And with Turner in LA, only 2 players from the Panthers entire 2014 draft are still playing in the NFL.  I thought this was the best draft class Gettleman had after the 2015 season and one of the best in the history of the Panthers.  Just goes to show that you can't grade a draft right after it happens and it's hard to grade it even 2 years after.  

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, bababoey said:

Pretty good and long breakdown (that's what she said).  Just an FYI, the only player still on this team from the 2014 draft is Tre Boston.  And with Turner in LA, only 2 players from the Panthers entire 2014 draft are still playing in the NFL.  I thought this was the best draft class Gettleman had after the 2015 season and one of the best in the history of the Panthers.  Just goes to show that you can't grade a draft right after it happens and it's hard to grade it even 2 years after.  

Thats not shocking to me, I been aware of drafting groups for a good while. Im fairly sure if you look at most 2014 draft classes theres 2 leftd on many teams. Its a young mans league, now 30 is nfl "old", whereas in 2000 it was 35 years old. One year after that 2014 draft, it was looking like a all-time great haul. Luckily Gettleman had his best class in 2017 and got fired shortly after.  

yea I mean it’s great to have our seasonal fans back but we’ve already been talking about these things quite a bit on the forums.

Just now, onmyown said:

yea I mean it’s great to have our seasonal fans back but we’ve already been talking about these things quite a bit on the forums.

I don't blame anyone one bit for tuning out for a few months. Poo got crazy. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

On 8/5/2020 at 7:20 AM, Jeremy Igo said:

Major beef here is that the Vernon Butler loss should actually be in under the addition heading. Addition by subtraction. 

He got better last year. Wasn’t great but became a solid rotational piece. Not a big loss at all but wouldn’t say we’re better off just because he’s gone.

6 hours ago, t96 said:

He got better last year. Wasn’t great but became a solid rotational piece. Not a big loss at all but wouldn’t say we’re better off just because he’s gone.

Big Vern started playing better just in time to move into the off season with just a bit of interest. He did us and him a lot of good there. He's now taking a paycheck from someone else and we've freed up a number and a locker space which were both more valuable than he was.

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, t96 said:

The only way that is going to be true is if he becomes a much better player in the post-Panthers era. Otherwise he was just another guy that could only get motivated in a contract year. Can't get rid of those guys quickly enough.

Offensive line and Linebacker units are gonna make for a long, miserable season. I'm very pessimistic about both groups both this season and their future. Maybe next year with more money and the draft we can address these.

Should still have some splash plays and keep games interesting enough to finish 6-10ish.

On 8/5/2020 at 7:20 AM, Jeremy Igo said:

Disagree. He has been a colossal bum and bust but I was really impressed with him after he got kicked out of the Colts game and shot the no look middle finger at the inbred Indiana fans on his way out. If he played with that passion from the jump he would still be here. 

On 8/6/2020 at 9:54 AM, onmyown said:

I checked out at the end of the year. The entire team didn’t give a poo so why should I? Grow up 

• Poo 1

Seems to be a very fair and accurate assessment.

Fans can often be overlay optimistic, but if you look at this roster objectively its pretty bad.

Expecting a player or position group to be better than they ever have been in the past just to become average or slightly above average isn't a good sign.

Position groups with proven, above average play:

RB - If CMC stays the same you are ecstatic.

WR - Moore played well.  Anderson has his moments, and Samuel as a WR3 isn't bad.

Safety - Both Boston and Burris have played well in the past.

DT - Short is proven.  This board has overplayed his demise a a lot.  Maybe he hasn't played at a top 3 level the past few seasons but still above average.   Also I expect Brown to play well.  Normally I wouldn't count on almost any rookie to be above average their first year, history tells us that is just stupid, but I felt like he had the highest floor of any of the top prospects so I'll make an exception.

Here are the groups that need to have career years to play good:

QB, OL, Edge, LB, and CB

That's a lot of hoping.

Haven’t had much time to keep up with Panther news so this post is freaking awesome. I’m thinking we will end up picking somewhere in the top 5 next year.