Carolina Huddle

Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Igo

New Panthers player is coming home

The Los Angeles Rams seventh round draft pick decided to join the Carolina Panthers as a UDFA instead of the Rams. 

In a tweet, he said he was coming home. 

Not only did the Rams decide to cut seventh-round Baylor linebacker Clay Johnston, but they won’t be retaining him on their practice squad, either. Johnston cleared waivers, making him available to the Rams again as a practice squad candidate. Rather than re-signing with the Rams, however, Johnston is joining the Panthers practice squad.

Johnston’s dad, Kent, is the head of Carolina’s strength program. So the two will get to remain close, rather than being across the country.

Also, Johnston rejoins head coach Matt Rhule and several other coaches from Baylor. 

Just now, DJ feed me moore said:

yay nepotism!

Eh, the kid was a draft pick that we got for nothing. Can't really complain. 

• Pie 4

A blue-collar LB to provide depth at a position of need.  Why all cut linebackers did not want to come here is beyond me. 

Neat little story. Hopefully he can develop into someone who sticks around awhile. 

Well, at least they know what they're getting. 

On the surface, I would've thought that Kunaszyk was more intriguing, but I'll trust them to do what they do.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Eh, the kid was a draft pick that we got for nothing. Can't really complain. 

so...kenny robinson but with baylor ties. got it.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, Tepper’s Used Car Lot said:

so...kenny robinson but with baylor ties. got it.

We didn't get Kenny Robinson for nothing. We spent a 5th rounder on him.

• Beer 2

New to the forum so it won’t let me start a topic. Sorry to hijack the post with a question. Been a Panther fan since 96. Always lurked here but didn’t have much interest in posting until now. I coached for 14 years at a local youth organization. One of our kids got drafted this year and we have been yearning to frame a jersey of his in our office. Anyone have any idea when we will be able to buy Nike Elite jerseys again? Seems like we are one of a handful that can’t order them in the NFL store. I called their customer service and emailed the Panthers, neither has been any help yet.

Just now, Mickimey1972 said:

New to the forum so it won’t let me start a topic. Sorry to hijack the post with a question. Been a Panther fan since 96. Always lurked here but didn’t have much interest in posting until now. I coached for 14 years at a local youth organization. One of our kids got drafted this year and we have been yearning to frame a jersey of his in our office. Anyone have any idea when we will be able to buy Nike Elite jerseys again? Seems like we are one of a handful that can’t order them in the NFL store. I called their customer service and emailed the Panthers, neither has been any help yet.

Soon™

Given that Google says they are made in Guatelemala and Honduras, and the way corona complicates any non essential international shipping, it may be a hot minute.

1 minute ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Soon™

Given that Google says they are made in Guatelemala and Honduras, and the way corona complicates any non essential international shipping, it may be a hot minute.

Didn’t know they were made there, thanks for your help. We will try and be patient. Looking forward to watching him play on Sunday.

Cool story and likeable kid.  Been following him on Hard Knocks but had no idea his dad was on the staff here.  That's cool, but from what I've seen, I don't see him developing into much more.

That being said, do you think we're done making moves before the opener now, @Jeremy Igo?

• Pie 1

I think a factor on roster moves everyone should be taking into account is with corona creating the very real threat of taking out not a player or two but whole groups, how much of your roster do you really want to have just joined the team last week? I expect this to have a dampening effect on roster churn if coaches realize that the possibility of playing deep reserves in numbers is not as remote as it has always been before.

Edited by 1of10Charnatives

2 hours ago, Cprince5 said:

Is this the guy from hard knocks?

Yes.