Carolina Huddle

Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Igo

"Teddy will never be good enough" crowd

2 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

You’re way to fixated on using scoring as the measuring stick for a QB.

Teddy was able to chew up 8:30 of the clock after AZ scored a TD late in the 3rd. That drive was a big part of why we were able to hold onto the lead today. Teddy made a few really good throws on that drive and made great decisions. It’s things like those drives that don’t show up in a stat sheet that are difference makers that you’re ignoring. 

Maybe if Matt Ryan was able to eat up a little clock all those touchdowns he’s thrown this year so far would translate to wins and he’d also probably have a SB ring 

Matt Ryan’s job is to play offense. And score. You score whenever you can score. You are paying people to play defense, too. 

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

Darnold doesn't even do that, or maintain drives you are clearly cherry picking, unless your defense is forcing turnovers like the 2015 Panthers or the 5 game 2019 stretch you are going to have to march down the feild and pick up those yards.... we were much improved in the redzone this afternoon hope it continues.

I’m not a fan of Darnold. I said Teddy was doing better than him. 

People need to separate the people saying “teddy sucks” from the people saying “teddy is a stop gap, we need a franchise qb”

teddy being a stop gap doesn’t mean he sucks. Saying teddy didn’t play well or can’t throw the deep ball with accuracy or consistency doesn’t mean he sucks. He is what a lot of people have said he was. He’s a good, top end game manager. He can win games managing and sometimes pull some poo out of his ass. Wanting better than that at the qb position is not being a hater. Franchise qbs allow you flexibility if you don’t draft well one year to the next or miss on a FA signing. Game managers need great coaching (which it looks like we have) as well as great team play around them. It’s harder to be consistent that way without hitting on your draft picks and FA signings. 

Franchise qbs take over games and win you games you have no business winning. They give you hope for super bowls every year.

if we miss out on franchise qb this year then we build the team up other ways and hope for the best. But landing a franchise qb is franchise changing and the quickest way to sustained success. 

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, Varking said:

Matt Ryan’s job is to play offense. And score. You score whenever you can score. You are paying people to play defense, too. 

I can think of more than a few times were scoring too quickly can bite you in the ass and it's a better option to grind the clock.

Posted (edited)

Don't get me wrong, Teddy hasn't shown that he deserves a 5yr deal as "the guy," but at the very least he's shown that his extremely team friendly contract is well worth its value already. I'm not out here claiming that Teddy is a top 10 QB in the NFL, but all of this "Teddy can't get us to the Super Bowl" nonsense is super ignorant considering this is his 3rd year as a healthy starter since his injury and in his last full season as a starter he took the Vikings to the postseason. He did that with his OTs being Matt Kalil + TJ Clemmings and while losing his starting center to the IR-R to start the season. The man can play. 

We all get it: he isn't Cam Newton and the way that things ended here with Cam was fuged up. That's done though and there isn't anything that we can do about it outside of no longer supporting the team (or keeping on with supporting them ofc). I don't understand putting forth the extra effort to drain a phone battery by manically scrolling through a fan forum to try and troll folks by being as uninformed & hateful as possible. The level of cognitive dissonance and self-loathing that that requires is morbidly fascinating to me.

Plus, that OL is going to need a LOT of love this coming offseason and not just from a quality standpoint but a quantity one as well: only Paradis will still be under contract out of our current starters. Folks forget that when they're arguing about a player's contract that they have to account for other deals on the team as well and not just in compare the player's deal to what other teams spend.

Edited by Icege

Just now, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

I can think of more than a few times were scoring too quickly can bite you in the ass and it's a better option to grind the clock.

If you can knowingly eat clock while leading to a score that’s ideal. But if the defense does their job after you score it doesn’t matter. If you don’t trust your defense then that’s a whole different topic. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Varking said:

After the AZ touchdown, I can promise you Brady’s goal was to do exactly what they did. Use up as much clock as possible while driving down the field. If you can’t understand this part of the game then I really don’t know what else to tell you. 

Just now, *FreeFua* said:

After the AZ touchdown, I can promise you Brady’s goal was to do exactly what they did. Use up as much clock as possible while driving down the field. If you can’t understand this part of the game then I really don’t know what else to tell you. 

I understand why it is done.

The thing being ignored in this convo about Teddy’s talents is that it’s not a singular issue. Joe Brady picked Teddy to run this thing for a reason and I think we’re seeing the fruits of that.

• Beer 3

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

He was high on Teddy, other people argued it. He is just backing his view on one of our players. This is what message boards are for. It’s kind of crazy he has to defend the Panther’s qb to other Panther’s fans....

75% of all Panthers fans will always hate the quarterback regardless of who it is. It’s been that way forever. 

Baker Mayfield is a game manager. He’s gone over 200 yards passing once this season.

I think a team which successfully threw the ball a lot en route to a big first-half lead has a quarterback who’s not elite, probably not great, but is above the level of “game manager.”

I don't really think that you want to hang your hat on the Teddy-is-good-enough argument. 

10 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Baker Mayfield is a game manager. He’s gone over 200 yards passing once this season.

I think a team which successfully threw the ball a lot en route to a big first-half lead has a quarterback who’s not elite, probably not great, but is above the level of “game manager.”

baker mayfield is trash. i wouldn’t want him managing my game. if that’s what you want to call him then fine, but i wouldn’t.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

How can Bridgewater be good enough to get a team to a superbowl.

Its not like he is as good as Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Rex Grossman.

He is moving the ball.  We are scoring about a TD per quarter-that is good enough to win. Nice point.