Carolina Huddle

Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Scot

Excluding the top three...

The vast majority of the future quarterback discussion on this site has centered around three names: Trevor Lawrence (obviously) Justin Fields and Trey Lance.

But I want to ask the draftniks to look beyond those three just a little bit. Primarily because it's not guaranteed that we'll be in position for any of those guys, but also because the style of offense we're running may not necessarily need one of those guys to be effective.

Looking at the kind of system that we're running right now, who else could you see in the Draft that might be well suited to effectively run our offense?

You're going to be looking primarily for traits like accuracy, intelligence and quick decision making. Mobility is also useful in a WCO style system, but it's not a "must have" that the quarterback be a run threat.

Who ya got?

• Pie 1

I would add that if you do want to look at one of the top three, I'd ask which of them you think is best suited to run this offense.

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Gardner Minshew

By what miracle is he regaining his draft eligibility for next year?

To be clear, while I'd grant that there might be free agent options which fit our system, I have a hard time believing that we'd go that route given that we've already got Teddy Bridgewater.

I liked Jamie Newman last year at wake as a guy who could sit behind Cam for a year, but he decided to transfer to Georgia and I was interested to see him there, but he opted out and now I still like him a a bench guy who could sit behind Bridgewater.

Trask also looks solid too though I haven't watched a lot of him.

• Pie 2

Trade 3 first round picks to Washington for Kyle "Cannon" Allen.

6 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

We drafted a QB in the top 100 last year...

And he's highly unlikely to be on the roster next year.

• Pie 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

And he's highly unlikely to be on the roster next year.

Rhule is said to really like him, but I have a hard time believing he has a serious shot at starting next year.

6 minutes ago, Rags said:

I liked Jamie Newman last year at wake as a guy who could sit behind Cam for a year, but he decided to transfer to Georgia and I was interested to see him there, but he opted out and now I still like him a a bench guy who could sit behind Bridgewater.

Trask also looks solid too though I haven't watched a lot of him.

Yeah, I was looking forward to seeing him play at Georgia too. He pretty much single handedly made Wake Forest competitive. I was looking forward to seeing him with a better overall supporting cast, no disrespect to Surratt who's a helluva WR.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Rhule is said to really like him, but I have a hard time believing he has a serious shot at starting next year.

So much so that he's been inactive as often as not.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

So much so that he's been inactive as often as not.

I think the whole "swapping backups" thing is dumb, honestly.

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I was looking forward to seeing him play at Georgia too. He pretty much single handedly made Wake Forest competitive. I was looking forward to seeing him with a better overall supporting cast, no disrespect to Surratt who's a helluva WR.

I was super excited to see him vs the SEC with SEC talent, but alas.

Hey if it leaves his draftstock as a 2nd I'll take it. 

21 minutes ago, Dex said:

Trade 3 first round picks to Washington for Kyle "Cannon" Allen.

Can't believe he could actually lead the Skins to the playoffs this year... Rivera gonna make the playoffs with a losing record again lol. 

• The D 1