Carolina Huddle

Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Igo

Video - Greg Little run blocking.

3 x times this year I've heard a commentator say woooh on a Greg Little run block.. While Run blocking and aggressiveness was supposedly his weakness coming out of the draft...

• Pie 1

Wow, that's some incredible run blocking; knocks down 2 Saints defenders that could have made a play. Assuming Okung is healthy, we need to use Little more as a 6th lineman in obvious power run packages if he can pull stuff like this off consistently. 

• Pie 1

I hope a year behind Okung and under Rhule will help him get it all together. If he can become a capable LT, next offseason will be much more manageable...

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Little does okay run blocking. Pass blocking is where the question marks are.

At this point, he might be a decent backup but I still can't see him as left tackle of the future.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

He left Demario laying on the ground wondering, "Who Dat?"

We need to see Little improve in pass blocking (and he may  be with the new coaching) but his run blocking a pretty darned good for an LT.

Edit to add: Ian, man, c'mon. 

Edited by Khyber53

9 minutes ago, Mistuh Jones said:

he'd be one hell of an athletic guard if steered that way 

My thoughts exactly. Dude could benefit from the help moving inside, and he seems athletic enough to pull. 

Just move him to guard. Can't play much worse than reed did yesterday.

• Beer 2

Just now, Ricky Spanish said:

My thoughts exactly. Dude could benefit from the help moving inside, and he seems athletic enough to pull. 

Just move him to guard. Can't play much worse than reed did yesterday.

I could see trying him there.

When he's out in space pass blocking he tends to put himself out of position. That's why guys with an inside move own him. I know one guy took an inside path and blew right by him yesterday but Bridgewater got the ball out.

4 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Edit to add: Ian, man, c'mon. 

Plays like that might help explain why Rhule and Brady don't seem all that high on him.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Plays like that might help explain why Rhule and Brady don't seem all that high on him.

Rhule and Brady seem to look for high desire, high effort players. Ian hasn't given anyone reason to think he's that kind of guy as far as I can tell.

• Beer 2

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Little does okay run blocking. Pass blocking is where the question marks are.

At this point, he might be a decent backup but I still can't see him as left tackle of the future.

It's not run blocking or pass blocking that is the problem for Little.  I have seen him excel at both.  The problem for him is consistency.  On one play he looks All-Pro followed by the next play look All-Poo.   He stoned Bosa a few times in  the Charges game when he used speed and power and then the guy across from Bosa made Little look like he had never seen a football game in his life.  That's not coaching.  That's a lack of concentration from Little.  Coaching can't really fix that, he has to fix that on his own.

• Pie 1

Just now, Khyber53 said:

Rhule and Brady seem to look for high desire, high effort players. Ian hasn't given anyone reason to think he's that kind of guy as far as I can tell.

Well, he did reach for that guy :thinking:

• Pie 1

Just now, bababoey said:

It's not run blocking or pass blocking that is the problem for Little.  I have seen him excel at both.  The problem for him is consistency.  On one play he looks All-Pro followed by the next play look All-Poo.   He stoned Bosa a few times in  the Charges game when he used speed and power and then the guy across from Bosa made Little look like he had never seen a football game in his life.  That's not coaching.  That's a lack of concentration from Little.  Coaching can't really fix that, he has to fix that on his own.

You're not the only person I've seen with a take like that on Little.

And yeah, consistency is an issue.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, bababoey said:

Consistency is a problem for all young players Especially when we're talking about only having 7 real games experience right?

• Pie 1

Between Little and Moton I think I like the future at Tackle, no need for a kick inside, we're not going to be drafting high enough to get a more premium prospect, and free agent T's are more expensive that G's even at / above average. This is Little's 2nd season after a rookie year on IR after 3 games, with no real prior to season work. 

I think we add a capable G, and we might have that in Daley as he finally played and I recall little issuer with him filling in for Miller. Overall I really don't recall all that much around Teddy until they sent everyone on that 3rd down.