Carolina Huddle

Jeremy Igo

Best Thanksgiving dinner side?

1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Cornbread dressing with Gravy.  

Exactly and nothing comes remotely close!

• Pie 1

i really love good mac n cheese, but yeah gravy is the right answer.   without gravy there's no point in having a celebration of anything.  really good gravy is what makes family tolerable, well, and alcohol.   (if you come from an awesome family, well good for you)

4 hours ago, PhillyB said:

refrigerated cranberry sauce straight from the can

The only sauce I know that is a solid.

Where I'm from we pass a jar while the turkey is deep frying.  Usually by the time the bird is done I am so lit that I don't remember much after that.  

Aren't any of you guys actually from North Carolina?  

The answer to best side is ALWAYS collards, creamed corn, and fried corn bread patties.

idk where to put this but kyler murphy just got squarshed.

• Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Ncpantherfan71 said:

Aren't any of you guys actually from North Carolina?  

The answer to best side is ALWAYS collards, creamed corn, and fried corn bread patties.

Maybe at the nursing homes.  I've lived on the coast, the piedmont and now the mountains and not once have I had any of those for Thanksgiving.  Collards are a coastal thing with any meal and usually with pork (but not exclusively) in the Piedmont.  I've yet to find good collards in the mountains.

Only old people eat creamed corn.

Fried cornbread is fried in very large cast iron pans over an open fire during molasses making in the fall here in the mountains.

41 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Maybe at the nursing homes.  I've lived on the coast, the piedmont and now the mountains and not once have I had any of those for Thanksgiving.  Collards are a coastal thing with any meal and usually with pork (but not exclusively) in the Piedmont.  I've yet to find good collards in the mountains.

Fried cornbread is fried in very large cast iron pans over an open fire during molasses making in the fall here in the mountains.

Mostly agree, although I have seen creamed corn on a Thanksgiving table.   But Thanksgiving is homemade biscuits in my part of NC.  Cornbread is used to make the dressing.   

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Mom grew up in Kinston and have collards anytime.  I cut collards from the garden every Thanksgiving. 

Corn is a traditional Thanksgiving food, we prefer it creamed over on the cob, my grand dad gummed all his food so that might be why.  I grew up in the country with a large garden, usually couple acres, our foods reflect that.

Edited by Ncpantherfan71

11 hours ago, MHS831 said:

PeeeeeKAYUN? 

or

PahKAHN? 

pee•kun

From the Low Country so I have to hold it down. 

1. Crab Dressing

2. Baked Mac n Cheese

3. Collards

4. Butternutsquash Cheesecake Dip (Stupidly High Creation) 

5. Green Bean Cassarole

Edited by Stumpy

14 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Stuffing out of the bird. There's no other choice worthy of discussion.

this