Jump to content
Carolina Huddle

Mr. Scot

BYU QB Coach: NFL teams very interested in Wilson

Recommended Posts

Gotta figure this includes us...

BYU QB Coach says NFL interest in Wilson is high

Quote

BYU quarterback Zach Wilson is having an outstanding season, with an average of 11.4 yards per pass, a 75.1 percent completion rate, 22 touchdowns and only two interceptions. The Deseret News reports that Wilson will “almost certainly” enter the 2021 NFL draft, and BYU quarterbacks coach Aaron Roderick said almost every team called him during BYU’s bye week for information about Wilson.

“I think it was just about every team,” said Roderick. “They make their own decisions about his play. That’s their job. They’ve got scouts and evaluators and they are good at what they do and they make their own decisions about what they think of him as a player.”

The 6-foot-3, 210-pound Wilson is a junior who started most of both his freshman and sophomore seasons. He looks ready for the NFL.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

NFL teams are interested in one of the top QB prospects in the draft. This is a truly shocking development.

To be fair this is saying 32 of 32 have called Wilson.  Scouts are swarming like bees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean I figured they would just ignore a guy who's having a phenomenal season. Just shocking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

NFL teams are interested in one of the top QB prospects in the draft. This is a truly shocking development.

Definitely not shocking, but I'd say notable, especially if something crazy happens (like Lawrence staying in school).

I know every player we're interested in is always out of our reach of course, but if he keeps moving up he may legitimately rise higher than us.

That's when the trade up questions start, depending on how big a gap there is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, saX man said:

To be fair this is saying 32 of 32 have called Wilson.  Scouts are swarming like bees. 

Due diligence. College scouts scout college players. There's only so many legit NFL prospects to scout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


27 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Due diligence. College scouts scout college players. There's only so many legit NFL prospects to scout.

In the case of teams that already have an established starter, maybe.

It ultimately affects us though, especially when you throw in the tidbit we got from Jeremy Fowler.

Edited by Mr. Scot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Ladies and Gents, your first round pick.

If he were to fall to us, I'd say it's a legitimate possibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like him, but I don't see how we get him.  Some people think he might be the second QB behind Lawrence.  Right now, realistically, we're looking at perhaps 3 QB's off the board before we pick.  Are there really four franchise QB's in this draft?  I dunno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I like him, but I don't see how we get him.  Some people think he might be the second QB behind Lawrence.  Right now, realistically, we're looking at perhaps 3 QB's off the board before we pick.  Are there really four franchise QB's in this draft?  I dunno.

I posed this some weeks back but think that if we're pick ~5-8 which I see super likely, how pricey would a trade up to #2 or 3 be if the team there is willing to move/has a QB?  That's the type of trade up that could be digestible and wouldn't mortgage our future/other picks towards linemen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, saX man said:

I posed this some weeks back but think that if we're pick ~5-8 which I see super likely, how pricey would a trade up to #2 or 3 be if the team there is willing to move/has a QB?  That's the type of trade up that could be digestible and wouldn't mortgage our future/other picks towards linemen.

Here's the current value chart for 2021.

image.png.0046697036f515603961418515ab4924.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


22 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I like him, but I don't see how we get him.  Some people think he might be the second QB behind Lawrence.  Right now, realistically, we're looking at perhaps 3 QB's off the board before we pick.  Are there really four franchise QB's in this draft?  I dunno.

I just don’t see how he can leap Justin Fields for being the second QB off the board. You’re talking Lawrence and Fields who have been huge for multiple seasons now against better competition. Wilson is having a breakout year in a poor conference and his numbers still aren’t anything I’d put him over on Justin Fields. 
 

Fields is completing 86.7% of his passes and thrown 11 TDs to 0 INTs and rushed for 2 more TDs to 0 fumbles. 13 scores to 0 turnovers. 
 

Wilson is over 10 points lower in completion percent and has turned the ball over more against lesser completion. 
 

Wilson is averaging 3.75 touchdowns a game combined. Fields is at 4.33 a game. 
 

Fields career numbers in college now are 70% completion, 56 passing TDs and only 3 interceptions. Both the film and the stats show an elite player who has been consistently great. Wilson has been up and down until this year. Similar to Jordan Loves career. 

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like him more than Trey Lance for sure. If you watch that one game Trey Lance played this year you will have to wash your eyes out after lol. Granted, I know the kid had a lot of pressure on him and couldn't prepare properly due to covid but he just doesn't look NFL ready. He is going to get drafted by a team that has the luxury of picking him in hope for his upside and high ceiling. I think Wilson's ceiling is a little bit lower but his floor is much higher.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Panther Believer said:

Like him more than Trey Lance for sure. If you watch that one game Trey Lance played this year you will have to wash your eyes out after lol. Granted, I know the kid had a lot of pressure on him and couldn't prepare properly due to covid but he just doesn't look NFL ready. He is going to get drafted by a team that has the luxury of picking him in hope for his upside and high ceiling. I think Wilson's ceiling is a little bit lower but his floor is much higher.

Like us?

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...