Carolina Huddle

Hoenheim

Do You Think Rhule Will Double Down on another Defense Laden Draft in 2021? What Would You Do ?

So Rhule drafted all defense in his first draft in 2020. Well Hurney. Well , Im just assuming Rule had significant input in the picks. 

What direction do you think they will go this coming season? Just say nothing changes and we pick exactly where we are right now (pick 9) ? Will he double down on making an excellent defense (Assuming  focus might be on the LB core and secondary instead of the Dline?)

Or maybe it'll be more balanced ? 

What would you do? Id honestly be looking really hard at upper echelon Oline and Linebackers early (assuming a QB isnt picked). 

Edited by Hoenheim

53 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

So Rhule drafted all defense in his first draft in 2020. Well Hurney. Well , Im just assuming Rule had significant input in the picks. 

What direction do you think they will go this coming season? Just say nothing changes and we pick exactly where we are right now (pick 9) ? Will he double down on making an excellent defense (Assuming  focus might be on the LB core and secondary instead of the Dline?)

Or maybe it'll be more balanced ? 

What would you do? Id honestly be looking really hard at upper echelon Oline and Linebackers early (assuming a QB isnt picked). 

Dream scenario would be much offensive line help, some linebacker help and QB help and every pick we hit on with an amazing quality starter.

One way or the other, I expect to see a heavy focus on OL this off-season. I think Rhule is smart enough after watching the veteran bandaid approach fail massively this season that he'll spend real resources on the OL this year. 

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, t96 said:

QB first, rest D or OL. No skill position players please

I don't want us to draft QB in the first just to draft a QB in the first. 

We have the offense right now w/ Teddy to be winning ball team if paired w/ a real defense.   Id' rather just focus on making this team a QB away from being legit contenders.   

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

We certainly could draft all defense again to address the holes. We have that many holes, and you can't assume everybody you draft is going to stick, even if you are really good at the draft.

We certainly could draft all offense to address the holes.  We have that many holes.

We desperately need OL, LB, and TE help.  We could use a safety.  Overall, I agree with the OP's last line/assessment.

Today, we do not need a WR.  If Samuel moves on, that's another piece to add to the wish list.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

I think our defensive line is ok.  We have several young talented players that will get better.  Might need to sign 1 or 2 free agents, but that's about it.  No big name free agents, just 1 or 2 guys who can work alongside and fill in for the young guys.  Draft picks should be Oline, linebacker, and secondary.  Order should depend on who is available.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 1

The draft will depend on what we do in free agency.  Free Agency is going to depend on how the cap get calculated for this year.  If the cap goes down to 175 million the way some people think it will there will be alot of good players playing on 1 year deals for way less than market value.  If we sign a lot of O linemen in free agency then the draft could be mostly defense.  But I don't really think they really go that route.  I don't want to walk into next season with 3 rookies at center and both guards.  Or the whole left side of the line and center  to be rookies. 

Edited by bababoey

22 minutes ago, CRA said:

We have the offense right now w/ Teddy to be winning ball team if paired w/ a real defense.   Id' rather just focus on making this team a QB away from being legit contenders.   

Are we closer to putting together a defense that can win with Teddy at the helm, or are we closer to putting together a team that can win with a Franchise QB?

The answer to that question will dictate what we do in the draft.

If we win a few the value will be at CB in round 1. If we lose out the value will be at QB.

I think the draft will be BPA at a position of need. We have a lot of needs so this draft could be all over the place. Maybe something like this:

1.) QB

2.) RG

3.) CB

4.) LB

5.) Safety

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, CRA said:

This draft is definitely going to be our best opportunity to get a young QB for the future. There are 4 great prospects and 1 will certainly be there for us to take. It's going to be a no-brainer (although I've seen this team screw that up so much that I'm fully expecting us to take a linebacker or something). Teddy will be a great mentor for a year but is not the future. 

3 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Are we closer to putting together a defense that can win with Teddy at the helm, or are we closer to putting together a team that can win with a Franchise QB?

The answer to that question will dictate what we do in the draft.

I frankly think if we had Luke and Bradberry this year we would be a winning team this season.   9-7 type team.   

granted those are 2 really really great players.  

Keep in mind this should be the last draft where we have an opportunity to take a top QB for a long time. If we pass on a QB in this draft, then Teddy will be our long term QB for many years to come imo.

I personally believe we should draft with the strength of every draft. This draft seems to have 5 QBs in the top 50 and about the same with OTs. They’re  the positions I’d be focusing on